PDA

View Full Version : TrackIR5 & sighting problems

jamesdietz
01-07-2012, 04:01 PM
Hopefully in the right forum...
I have everything up & running fine except presistant ( and not unique) FPS drop off ( to about 10(!)) at low altitudes,BUT sighting in on AI aircraft ( even bombers flying more or less level,) at any altitude is giving me fits.As mentioned I have TrackIR5 and use the proclip;my movement sensor is now about 2 feet from my head on the left side of the monitor.So far ,so good. In approaching my target I fly normal ( think wide angle view,) as I close I might go to adjust shoulder belts( lean into sight with restricted view left & right,but a bit more centered into gunsight,)then when I approach shooting distance I hit the telephoto ( i.e. closeup) button & yes a resultant loss of FPS, but I try to live with that ( its frustrating ,oh how I wish for IL-2 FPS & controls) Here's where it get really dicey: even the tiniest head movements & I mean tiny,sends the pipper ( the glowing sight) left & right and/or up & down all over the place, making it extemely hard on the pilot ( me , now with stiff neck from trying to be absolutely still-most unrealistic...) & crazty hard to get hits .Of course this gets worse & worse low down over cities.Couple this with slight movements with the stick & FPS problems with smoke when I do get hits ...well you get the idea.
Does someone have a profile that eliminates this that makes for a center head movement deadzone or something? I have tried different distance between me & the sensor with no results ...Help please?

ATAG_Snapper
01-07-2012, 04:13 PM
I've tried a couple of profiles with centered deadzones, but never found one that gave me the high degree of panning that I needed in CoD. I returned to Charvel's profile that does provide huge deflection with small head movement, but can be twitchy, especially at 30 POV (ie zoomed in for precise aim).

I have two buttons assigned on my joystick for TrackIR: CENTER and PAUSE. As I near my target I zoom in (30 POV), CENTER the gun sight and *immediately* hit PAUSE. The gunsight now moves very little, if at all, and you're good for shooting -- the danger being that you are target fixated so don't stay "locked in" any longer than to take your shot.

kestrel79
01-11-2012, 03:11 PM
I put a huge deadzone on my TrackIR and that seems to help keep me line up in the sights. I also disabled all the axis except moving my head around and lean left/right. All the other ones just made me dizzy and took me off the bead too easily.

Like Snapper said the downside to this is a heavy deadzone, which makes scanning the skies unnatural, especially above your head looking left and right.

I might try what Snapper uses, as I have a joystick button mapped for "aim down sight", but I can still move my TrackIR. Maybe someone combining the aim down sight button with a 2nd function that turns off the TrackIR. I think I'm going to try that because I love that Charvel's profile smoothness and quickness.

ATAG_Snapper
01-11-2012, 03:34 PM
Great minds think alike! :)

One of the throttle switches on the Warthog HOTAS is spring loaded. I was able to program it to do three things when held down with my thumb:

1) Zoom in (30 POV)
2) Center (this is a TrackIR command)
3) Pause TrackIR (TrackIR command also)

As I approach my target I press this switch immediately before firing. This gives me a locked in, stable close up view of my target. When I've finished firing I simply release the switch and the switch returns to its default position - which I programmed to automatically reverse this zoomed in firing view:

1) Unpause TrackIR
2) Zoom out to 70 POV
3) Center TrackIR. (I find my head moves unintentionally when firing -- which you don't realize when the TrackIR is paused when shooting. I found it a little disorienting to have your field of view jerk off center when unpausing TrackIR)

Let's face it, it's a little distracting to be weaving your head a bit "chasing" the reflector sight while trying to line up your target. After shooting, it's so much easier to just release a spring loaded switch than having to remember which joystick buttons (or worse: keyboard keys) to tap to regain SA while dodging return fire and maneuvring for another pass!

badfinger
01-11-2012, 07:16 PM
I don't do any zooming in, when I'm shooting. I prefer to shoot and see the target as a real pilot would have.

Not saying you can't, it's just not realistic to me.

binky9

kevchenco
01-11-2012, 08:13 PM
I found i was getting similar issues due to a picture hanging up on the wall behind me. When the room light was on it used to send my view spinning on occasion

ATAG_Snapper
01-11-2012, 11:21 PM
I don't do any zooming in, when I'm shooting. I prefer to shoot and see the target as a real pilot would have.

Not saying you can't, it's just not realistic to me.

binky9

Hmmmm, I thought the zoomed in view (30 POV) *is* how a real pilot would see it. Because of the size limitations of an average 23" monitor, backed out views of 70 POV and 90 POV are provided (as in most sims) to take this monitor size limitation into account in order for us to have some kind of Situational Awareness.

In an actual WW2 fighter cockpit, the gunsight is physically very close to the pilot's head -- just as the "zoomed in" 30 POV depicts it!

What we really need is a curved movie theatre-sized monitor about 4 feet in front of us. Then 30 POV would be fine in ALL respects. LOL

(Actually, some guys on this forum come close using 3 monitors with the video card(s) that can handle it.

badfinger
01-11-2012, 11:53 PM
Hmmmm, I thought the zoomed in view (30 POV) *is* how a real pilot would see it. Because of the size limitations of an average 23" monitor, backed out views of 70 POV and 90 POV are provided (as in most sims) to take this monitor size limitation into account in order for us to have some kind of Situational Awareness.

In an actual WW2 fighter cockpit, the gunsight is physically very close to the pilot's head -- just as the "zoomed in" 30 POV depicts it!

What we really need is a curved movie theatre-sized monitor about 4 feet in front of us. Then 30 POV would be fine in ALL respects. LOL

(Actually, some guys on this forum come close using 3 monitors with the video card(s) that can handle it.

I don't have a curved theater sized monitor. But, I do have a 42" monitor which is about 4 feet in front of me. I like it a lot.

A real pilot probably did lean forward, but the result wasn't like looking through a telescope.

binky9

ATAG_Snapper
01-12-2012, 01:57 AM
No argument there, Binky. It's a trade off. We, as humans, have almost 180 degrees field of view, not 30 degrees. So even the 90 POV is not "realistic", but if the devs backed it out even more we'd end up with a "fisheye" distorted image (23", 42", 60" -- all are too small to give a true representation of a human's actual field of view without distortion).

The 30 POV isn't looking through a telescope -- it's like having blinkers on -- or very restrictive goggles. The gun sights in the fighters WERE in your face, just as the 30 POV depicts it.

Obviously, you go with what seems right to you. To me, it's unrealistic to have your head placed somewhere between your radio mast and your tailplane when looking through a distant gun sight.

badfinger
01-12-2012, 02:25 AM
I was just reading about the Micrivision PicoP Pico projector. It has 720p resolution, and can be projected on a curved surface w/o distortion.

Could this replace multiple monitors?

binky9