PDA

View Full Version : How to set up Turret controls?

ElAurens
12-29-2011, 10:12 PM
I looked all over and cannot find any vids or tutorials on this.

The controls menu is a bit confusing. Can you not move the turret with your mouse? I tried to assign it but it didn't work.

Hlander
12-30-2011, 01:08 AM
It is the same as looking around in the cockpit. You use your mouse or what ever you use plus you press the button that allows camera movement.

ElAurens
12-30-2011, 03:32 AM
Hmmm...

Not sure I understand.

Button to allow camera movement?

Ummm... I use Track IR so I never push any buttons.

Hlander
12-30-2011, 03:47 AM
If you go into controls>camera, there will be an option to key bind a key to allow camera movement.

Pressing this key or button you have bound plus moving the mouse will move the turret.

In general control section, key binding fire current weapon will fire the turret gun.

I am not sure if it is different with trackerIR, as I don’t have it yet(I think my letter to Santa got lost in the mail).

Richie
12-30-2011, 09:31 AM
If you are alone in a 110 do you yourself have to shoot the rear gun?

5./JG27.Farber
12-30-2011, 10:28 AM
In the German gunner positions you have to open canopy just like in the spit or hurri, not to be confused with jettison canopy. You may then have to press f10 to enable the mouse.

I think the turret in the blenheim use the turret rotation keys, found under keys/Turret.

There was a bug if you changed to the gunner position then back to pilots position the rear gunner would stop working. Which in the Bf110 means no more cannon reloads... Do not know if its fixed...

Howzat?

335th_GRAthos
12-30-2011, 10:31 AM
If you are alone in a 110 do you yourself have to shoot the rear gun?

Hmmm... actually, I was tempted many times to kick my AI gunner out of the plane or have him sent to the firing squad because he is there but never fires at the enemy planes :D
but he reloads my cannons every time so, I bite my lips every time... :D

So, yes and no: When you fly alone the ME110 you have an AI gunner. He is supposed to handle the gun (and shoot), re-load your cannons, watch for enemy planes.
You get two out of three, if you want to actually shoot at the enemy planes you have to do it yourself...

~S~

Richie
12-30-2011, 11:46 AM
Well he seems pretty useless alright. He needs a swift kick in the rectum :P

ElAurens
12-30-2011, 01:30 PM
The 110 gunner must work in AI only then, bucause I've had the blighters shoot at my Hurri.

Torian
12-30-2011, 01:41 PM
Turret AI will fire the gun but rarely ever hit anything and will usually be dead
very quickly from any enemy fire on ur tail. You do get very frustrated when they seem to have a clear shot at a bandit directly on ur tail and don't shoot. Very useful however for spotting bandits before u can see them.
Torian

335th_GRAthos
12-31-2011, 08:04 AM
OK, here is another question:

Has somebody managed to assign a different key for the Fire button of the turret gun????
If yes, where is this frigging option in the controls????

I have setup my extra Joystick for the turret control but, I still need to use the mouse key because I did not find a way to assing the fire key on one of the buttons on the stick :(

~S~

ElAurens
12-31-2011, 04:09 PM
Well, I have it working, but I cannot believe that the turret was that slow to traverse.

Also having to hold the center mouse button to move the gun mount and firing with the left mouse is really awkward. Far more so than firing a real Lewis gun I would think.

Very odd choices for implementing this area of the sim.

Sokol1
12-31-2011, 04:29 PM
Has somebody managed to assign a different key for the Fire button of the turret gun????

If not abble to chance in GUI, you can try whit JoytoKey.
Button "XYZ" from joystick = Left mouse button.

Also having to hold the center mouse button to move the gun mount and firing with the left mouse is really awkward.

Just hit F-10 (to change mouse behavior) and no need hold center mouse button to move guns. BTW- Turrent Y axis are inverted - minus in Italian bomber.

Sokol1

Bewolf
12-31-2011, 04:30 PM
I have given up in using gun turrets for a long time now. With the slow traverse I could have lived, but it's not only the akwardness of having to press one button all the time to fire, in my case at least up and down was reversed without any chance of changing that, so that's been that.

edit: Sokol beat me to it, but good to know about the F10 key

Stirwenn
12-31-2011, 06:35 PM
to invert axis of mouse, check your conf.ini and change value :

[rts_mouse]
SensitivityX=1.0
SensitivityY=1.0
SensitivityZ=1.0
Invert=0 <------------ to 1
SwapButtons = 0

335th_GRAthos
01-01-2012, 03:50 PM
ATAG_Dutch found the solution for me at the ATAG Forum so I post it here since it may be useful to others as well:

In the 'Keys/General' section in controls, there is an option for 'fire current weapon' which says 'mouse left'. I can't alter it with one joystick, but maybe you could with two? Strangely, the line for 'Reload' is blank, yet it works with 'mouse right' - peculiar.
The axes controls for yaw and pitch (in turret controls) only affect the movement of the gun also for me, not the turret itself but again, maybe with two sticks it'd be different.

What I'd like to see is being able to assign all turret controls to your hotas, without it interfering with your flight controls once you've switched postion. At the moment, if you assign gun yaw to your rudder pedals, the gun moves, but so does your rudder! This might be different in multiplayer set-up though.

Swinging the turret around with your feet, as per RL, and moving and firing the gun with your joystick would be way cool!

THANK YOU = THANK YOU = THANK YOU = THANK YOU = THANK YOU ! :TYTY!:

'Keys/General' so this is where this frigging button was... :)

By the way, I would not use the same joystick for the turret control...
In most cases, I am badly shot up (so the bomber does not fly steady) and p@ssed off at my useless gunner and the bandit (aware that my gunner went on vacation and is not shooting back) is stuck close behind me.
So I need to take over the gunners position while flying the plane as well.

And yes, I have the left/right turret control on my Rudder pedals (and my rudder on my SW2FFB). But unfortunately it is the left/right gun movement - not the turret (there are no axis options for the turret).

Thanks to your solution I assigned the gun trigger to my Stick main guns now. I do not know whether it will press the trigger of the forward guns as well when I am in the rear gunner's position but it does not matter.
I have Saitek Pro pedals so I set the movement Left/Right of the gun on the rudder pedals and the Up/Down of the gun on the right break pedal.
Theoreticaly I can fire the rear gun HOTAS flying the plane as well.

Does anybody know if there is a key to kick that useless rear gunner of mine out of my plane? :Grin:

~S~

Sokol1
01-01-2012, 05:06 PM
But unfortunately it is the left/right gun movement - not the turret (there are no axis options for the turret).

Because this comand "turret transverse" is done with buttons only.

I am not tested (gamer computer disasembled), but a second "all-in-one" stick
and JoyToKey maybe control turret fine:

JoyToKey assignements:

Gun control

Button1 = fire current weapon (turret MG)

Stick1 ----> = mouse right
Stick1 <---- = mouse left
Stick1 up = mouse up (or down if prefer - so solve inverted axis *)
Stick1 down = mouse down (or up if prefer - so solve inverted axis *)

Turret control

Slider1 (or Axis 5,6... rudder axis) ----> = right arrow (or any key, combo, designed in CloD GUI to turret transverse control)
Slider2 (or Axis 5,6... rudder axis) <---- = left arrow (or any key, combo, designed in CloD GUI to turret transverse control)

* Invert mouse axis in conf.ini solve turret control, but invert mouse view in cockpit, in map...

BTW - JoyToKey 5.0.2 (7$) now have some new functions like keyboard2, switch rotation, click or hold, shift function...
Ie, in Britsh CloD planes brake axis is not proportional (is On or OF).
You can map your toe brakes axis, or some stick button to press B in JoyToKey, and define to repeat 2 times per second, so in game is like: B B B B B B B B B B - no more flip over. ;)

Obvious, a tipical HOTAS come with a program that allow this (and more), JoyToKey is option for stick without keymapper soft, ie MS Sidewinder FF2 under Win7.

Sokol1

ATAG_Dutch
01-02-2012, 01:19 PM
Thanks for the plug, Grathos!

Here's a link to the thread for ref.

The tutorial uses default controls only I'm afraid.

http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/showthread.php?975-Blenheim-Turret-Control

Two vids are there, as one was blocked in the US due to copyright.