PDA

View Full Version : Yes, my girl bought me Saitek rudder pedals :)

Anders_And
12-26-2011, 12:21 PM
Anyone here have any experience with these rudder pedals in this game??
I have been using the twist of the MS sidewinder FF 2 joystick to move my rudder and I guess that is a reflex that I will continue with for some time to come...

Now its time to getting used to use my feet when "computer flying" ! :)

Best regards

ATAG_MajorBorris
12-26-2011, 12:35 PM
I have the msff2 as well and almost think I would have to switch to ch products stick to not use the twist lol

Did u get the Pro combat pedals? I love that design.

Flanker35M
12-26-2011, 12:39 PM
S!

No experience with those pedals, but does your girl have a likeminded sister or something?! :D ;)

TomcatViP
12-26-2011, 01:12 PM
Hi Anders (K ;) ),

The Saitek rudder pedal is a good design :
- comfortable (wide enough for grown man comfort - humm I mean that you don't hve to be a Castra to feel comfortable with both your feet in that position for hours :oops:)
- rugged (mine still works after 5 years of use - a record for any Saitek product !)
- averagely precise : it's way more difficult to get a precise yaw angle with your feet acting on a mechanical device with no force feedback than with a hand rotation on a stick.

But with 6 month of use you'll get used and accept the loss of precision against the added "realism"

~S!

PS: Flank, You beat me on that one ;)

ATAG_Dutch
12-26-2011, 01:55 PM
Congrats on the pedals!

I've had my G940 since May, and still can't fly as well as I used to with twist rudder! :rolleyes:

At least she won't be able to complain about the amount of time you'll have to practice, practice, practice!! ;)

Bewolf
12-26-2011, 02:44 PM
Hi Anders (K ;) ),

The Saitek rudder pedal is a good design :
- comfortable (wide enough for grown man comfort - humm I mean that you don't hve to be a Castra to feel comfortable with both your feet in that position for hours :oops:)
- rugged (mine still works after 5 years of use - a record for any Saitek product !)
- averagely precise : it's way more difficult to get a precise yaw angle with your feet acting on a mechanical device with no force feedback than with a hand rotation on a stick.

But with 6 month of use you'll get used and accept the loss of precision against the added "realism"

~S!

PS: Flank, You beat me on that one ;)

Is that so, precision wise? I have been playing with the thought of getting pedals for quite a while now, mainly on the basis of being more precise. That is not the case?

Insuber
12-26-2011, 02:45 PM
I have bought them a long time ago, but after a quick test I've put them aside. My feet were not as precise as my right hand ... Now, friends tell me that with the right profile one can get used to pedals within a week ... So be sure to adapt the response curves ... And fix properly the base to the floor :-)

BadAim
12-26-2011, 03:29 PM
That's interesting, I've found the rudder pedals to be much more precise than the twist. I guess we all have our own perceptions. I definitely find the saitek to be much more comfortable than the CH setup. I think much of it is just giving yourself time to develop the "muscle memory" you need to change your ways, it's easier to develop a new habit than it is to break an old one, so you'll probably be twisting the stick long after you've become proficient with the pedals. It's more realistic too.

BadAim
12-26-2011, 03:29 PM
My feet were not as precise as my right hand ... :-)

Must resist.........:)

K_Freddie
12-26-2011, 03:40 PM
My feet were not as precise as my right hand
Hey hey!!.. this is a family website :grin: (none-the-less the mind boggles at this thought)

Forget profiles (set everyting to 100%) and you're on your way. 'Twisties' (forget I even mentioned this name ;) ) have nothing on pedals, no matter how cr.ap the pedals are.

Saitek pedal weakness is the 'bearing guide' at the bottom of each pedal, they wear out such that the crossover bar jumps off the bearing and you sit there with two pedals in the forward position @#$%@@@% :grin:

If you're gentle on your footsies and don't 'fly' like crazy, the pedals will last you a long time.

Insuber
12-26-2011, 03:49 PM
So you find them more precise than twist ... Good to know, I will add pedals use to my new years propositions :-)

Osprey
12-26-2011, 04:25 PM
Saitek pro pedals are the best saitek product around. They are also the best designed pedals I've seen, CH seem to be feet together and must feel odd. Once you are used to them, and that doesn't take long, they are fantastic. I find them far more precise than twist rudder and you'l soon find taxiing a joy - the toes brakes come into their own (although 1C really need to fix the one brake 'digital' nature of RAF braking, it's fine on the 109)

5./JG27.Farber
12-26-2011, 04:26 PM
Saitek pro pedals are the best saitek product around. They are also the best designed pedals I've seen, CH seem to be feet together and must feel odd. Once you are used to them, and that doesn't take long, they are fantastic. I find them far more precise than twist rudder and you'l soon find taxiing a joy - the toes brakes come into their own (although 1C really need to fix the one brake 'digital' nature of RAF braking, it's fine on the 109)

+1

fruitbat
12-26-2011, 04:31 PM
They're great, been using them for 3 years now.

You will have to except that for a month or so, your flying/shooting will be worse, but after that it will become imo much better than before pedals.

I find them much more precise than the twist stick ever was, plus you never put unintentional slip on your plane like was very easy to do whilst manoeuvring with a twist stick.

Fly with your hands, shoot with your feet.

White Owl
12-26-2011, 06:00 PM
There's a reason real airplanes don't have rudder control on the stick. Pedals are better.

Do you have the Saitek pro flight, or the Saitek pro flight combat pedals? I've been using the pro flights for some time, but am thinking about spending the cash for the combat pedals. Those look like higher quality.

ElAurens
12-26-2011, 06:09 PM
When I switched from the twist rudder type stick to my CH pedals, my flying and shooting both became much more precise.

No matter how good you think you are, when you move the stick to use the elevators or ailerons, you are making minute changes to the rudder as well.

;)

Osprey
12-26-2011, 06:13 PM
Don't see how they look any better tbh.

Here's the reason, for me, for choosing Saitek this time though
http://www.simhq.com/_technology2/images/technology_104a_004.jpg

Shame there are no FFB pedals

Obviously preferably would be......
http://www.spitsim.co.uk/
http://www.swift72.co.uk/images/SS003.jpg

Attila
12-26-2011, 10:32 PM
I was buying the Saitek rudder pedals 2 weeks ago, and my flying is terrible now!:(
My feeling for stalling is lost after this change (7 years of flying without pedals)! But there is enough practice on the new Dogfightservers online! 1 month and it will be better then before (please let it be true:))
PS: Sorry for my english

Rince
12-26-2011, 10:51 PM
My wife also bought me for christmas pedals (i have no idea which ones, but she asked a good friend and long-time wingman so they`ll be fine) Are we so easy to rumble?

They `re the saitek ones! We will see but it will be the better alternate, than the wipp-switch of my saitek x-45 anyway! So watch out! ;-))

FS~Phat
12-27-2011, 05:15 AM
I bought the Saitek pro pedals many years ago now and they are still as good as the day I bought them and I love them.

It will definitely take a few weeks to master them though and you need to be careful not to instinctively push against both together to move away from the desk or you'll pop the inner guide mechanism and have to pull them apart and reset the inner mechanism.

Superluminal_8
12-27-2011, 05:45 AM
Dunno if its common but last week my right toe brake spring snapped. The bracket it was attched to was cut off. Ah well,they still work. They are almost five years old now.

David198502
12-27-2011, 07:05 AM
my girl was nice as well!got ch pedals and the book spitfire on my tail from her.
the pedals are ordered but havent arrived yet.cant wait to put my feet on them.now i use the 8way hat switch on my fighterstick for rudder control.im really interested how it will feel to have actual rudders to control the rudder.
anyway the book is really interesting.although english isnt my mothertongue, i read the first 170 pages on the first day.
nice to have a girlfriend who supports ones interests.

Bakelit
12-27-2011, 08:23 AM
my girl was nice as well!got ch pedals and the book spitfire on my tail from her.
the pedals are ordered but havent arrived yet.cant wait to put my feet on them.now i use the 8way hat switch on my fighterstick for rudder control.im really interested how it will feel to have actual rudders to control the rudder.
anyway the book is really interesting.although english isnt my mothertongue, i read the first 170 pages on the first day.
nice to have a girlfriend who supports ones interests.

Yes, "Spitfire on my tail" by Steinhilper is a good book. Congratulations to the rudder pedals as well. Take good care of your precious girl. The mentally sane ones are unfortunately very rare.

Gruß,
Bakelit

Mysticpuma
12-27-2011, 10:49 AM
I had Saitek Pedals but also had an X-52 Pro. I just couldn't get the hang of them and kept reverting back to the stick twist rudder.

Eventually I got and then modded a Thrustmaster Cougar and had no option but to get Pedals (I'd sold the Saitek pedals)

I bought Simpeds and had a very steep learning curve...but that curve is worth the effort as you will become really used to how they all work together and now I'd never go back to the twist stick.

Seriously, give it time and have some patience and the Pedals will be an integral part of your flying.

Cheers, MP

Insuber
12-27-2011, 12:11 PM
what's the best profile? All to 100%?

KG26_Alpha
12-27-2011, 12:56 PM
If you want some fun with historical controls..................

Here's Captain Eric Brown's IL2 FB stick settings

For those that have IL2 1946 and CoD, compare the two and see what you think :)

Pitch 0, 1, 3, 7, 9, 14, 18, 23, 27, 33
Roll 0, 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 10, 12, 17
Yaw 0, 0, 1, 2, 5, 6, 8, 11, 14, 16

X=0 1 3 7 9 14 18 23 27 33
Y=0 0 1 2 3 4 6 10 12 17
Z=0 0 1 2 5 6 8 11 14 16

Here's Oleg Maddox's stick settings too.

Roll: 1 3 6 12 21 32 44 61 81 100
Pitch: 1 4 8 15 24 33 44 60 77 100
Yaw: 0 10 19 32 43 54 63 74 86 100

X: 1 3 6 12 21 32 44 61 81 100
Y: 1 4 8 15 24 33 44 60 77 100
Z: 0 10 19 32 43 54 63 74 86 100

How to stick settings >>

http://www.mission4today.com/index.php?name=Knowledge_Base&op=show&kid=261

Original discussion and interview notes>>

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/23110283/m/309109534/p/1

K_Freddie
12-27-2011, 08:13 PM
what's the best profile? All to 100%?
Yep.. dat's dah one maaan.

Let me put it this way... there's very little chance, with a twistie, to put your plane into an intended accelerated stall in the direction of the turn, and out again within 180 degrees rotation, and go in the direction that you intended. This is literally only achievable with rudder pedals, and it's an excellent avoidance tactic.

The stall outside the turn is well known - I forget the name, but it still can put you in the firing line if your opponent is sharp.
:grin:

svanen
12-27-2011, 09:18 PM
Now its time to getting used to use my feet when "computer flying" ! :)

It is not the same as in the Dash-8? ;)

I have the Simped F-16/C and I do love them, great feeling...

ElAurens
12-28-2011, 01:32 AM
I remember when the original post about Eric Brown came up years ago at UBI.

Those stick settings of his are what he did to make the in game Spitfire in IL2 "feel" like a real one in his hands.

Of course if you used those settings online you would get eaten alive.

I doubt they have any validity with the new sim, seeing how differently the aircraft feel/behave compared to IL2.

TomcatViP
12-28-2011, 09:56 AM
Is that so, precision wise? I have been playing with the thought of getting pedals for quite a while now, mainly on the basis of being more precise. That is not the case?

No. Precision is less.

It might be that in a next future when electro-damped components wld be introduced that we get something as precise. But for now a single poor spring can't do the trick with all the muscles we have in the legs.

Osprey
12-28-2011, 07:10 PM
Yes, "Spitfire on my tail" by Steinhilper is a good book.

It has some interesting parts but other than that it is mostly a long long rant about the political and military system, and commanding officer decisions. The bloke practically spends the entire book moaning about Galland.

_79_dev
12-28-2011, 10:38 PM
Got mine for over 4 years...would not be able to fly sim without themes...

(although 1C really need to fix the one brake 'digital' nature of RAF braking, it's fine on the 109)
Can't agree with it mate...

Osprey
01-06-2012, 07:08 PM
Can't agree with the digital braking? 1 brake action is fine since it was on the stick, but the digital brake is annoying.

Tacoma74
01-06-2012, 08:26 PM
So I need new pedals.... My old ones finally gave up on me and I'm dying without them. I tried playing on ATAG but me being used to having pedals for so long ended up either crashing on takeoff or getting shot down wayyy too easily. Good yaw control is quite important I've found. Havn't played much at all the past few months because of it. So I'm currently in the market for some new ones. Just don't know what to get really.

I would love to get some Simpeds, but they're far too expensive. So basically I'm torn between the Saiteks and the CH pedals. I'm leaning towards the CH pedals though just from what I've read. What do you think?

P.S. - Sorry if I'm hijacking ;)

kestrel79
01-06-2012, 08:42 PM
Anyone have the Saitek Combat pedals? Those look awesome!

I have the CH ones and they are getting a little old as well as slide on my carpet when I use them. Plus like others have said your feet are too close together and you have to create a large deadzone so the weight of your feet don't move the pedals accidentally when flying.

Ze-Jamz
01-06-2012, 10:28 PM
Must resist.........:)

No dont :). Say what I'm thinking!

I have the G940 setup and I love the pedals, I find them pretty easy to get on with..I don't think your find any that are as easy or precise as a twist stick though tbh

Blackdog_kt
01-06-2012, 11:10 PM
Can't agree with the digital braking? 1 brake action is fine since it was on the stick, but the digital brake is annoying.

Hey, blame the British engineers who decided to use a single brake lever and do differential braking via the rudder pedals :-P

To be serious though, you can probably set your brakes command (not the left/right brakes, the "common" brakes command) to a separate slider and get gradual control in the RAF birds. Still, the sim is correct in the way it models the systems, that's what the RAF had.

On the issue of gradual input, i agree that it could be a smoother transition when it's mapped to a single keypress, but you can still overcome it. Tap the button instead of keeping it down. I'm flying with a simple sidewinder precision pro stick so i use keyboard for a lot of commands, can't really say i have a problem controlling any aircraft on the ground.

Sokol1
01-07-2012, 01:30 AM
To be serious though, you can probably set your brakes command (not the left/right brakes, the "common" brakes command) to a separate slider and get gradual control in the RAF birds.

No, brakes in RAF planes are "broken" in CloD. Even if you assign then to slider (axis) still as ON/OF, no proportional.

"The first time I had the opportunity to fly a British aircraft with this hand operated air brake system I was skeptical about it being very effective compared to hydraulic toe brakes. Within a very few minutes I was completely won over. It is far easier to manage, particularly on run up when one has to really stand on most American fighter rudder pedals. The source of high-pressure air is controlled by the brake lever on the spade control grip, or stick. The rudder pedals modulate the distribution of pressure to the left and right main wheel brakes. If the pedals are even, equal braking is applied to both sides; as one rudder pedal is applied then more brake pressure is fed to that side. Strength of application is delivered by the hand lever on the grip. The major benefit to all this is having one's feet and legs almost completely relaxed most of the time."

Sokol1

Blackdog_kt
01-07-2012, 04:27 AM
Roger that, i thought they also meant the system is modeled wrong (which, according to your quote is correct) and it was a mapping issue (i've seen it come up before from people with pedals/toe brakes).

So you mean that if i set the brakes on a slider they still go only 0%-100%, interesting.