PDA

View Full Version : Like to see videos where altitude of aircraft make sense

nearmiss
12-23-2011, 09:56 PM
I see so many videos where aircraft are at very low altitudes.

Flying in large groups at low altitude prior to engaging the enemy would have been flying with a death wish.

One important reason why the RAF was successful against the Luftwaffe was the Chain home and all the spotters giving the RAF pilots enough time to get airborne and altitude. Otherwise, the RAF would have had to have planes in the air flying sectors at altitude every hour. The Luftwaffe would still have penetrated more often and done alot more damage if such were the case.

Getting E was very important and large groups flying at low altitudes prior to engage may look good on the screen, but it definitely would have been disaster during the BOB.

ATAG_Dutch
12-23-2011, 10:44 PM
I see so many videos where aircraft are at very low altitudes.

large groups flying at low altitudes prior to engage may look good on the screen, but it definitely would have been disaster during the BOB.

It certainly would, but unfortunately high altitude reveals that the landscape colours only extend so far from your point of view, which looks terrible on a vid. :(

White Owl
12-23-2011, 10:54 PM
Yeah, it may be more historically accurate, but just doesn't look as good. This sim looks great down on the deck, not really so good at altitude. Exactly the opposite of most other flight sims out there.

nearmiss
12-24-2011, 12:47 AM
OK... I didn't realize it made that much difference.

I still like the videos