PDA

View Full Version : Lost Drone in Iran

swiss
12-05-2011, 04:04 PM
Now the Iranian government claims to have it brought down by electronic warfare and the drone should be almost undamaged.

Anyone remembers the drone virus in the media? :grin:

Jaws2002
12-05-2011, 04:29 PM
NATO comand in Afghanistan admited they lost a drone "in Afghan airspace", but if the drone was what the Iranians are claiming they have (RQ-170 Sentinel), there's no doubt it was brought down over Iran.
No good reason to use such advanced stealthy drone in an airspace you control.

I'm sure this is true. Drones are not exactly as secure as we may think. They broadcast and receive data, so they are succeptible to hacking and jamming. Remember few years ago, the insurgents in Iraq were able to use images streaming from US drones to find locations of US troops?

All this ideas that in few years drones will run the show are wishful thining.

nearmiss
12-05-2011, 04:42 PM
Hackers have penetrated the US department of defense computers. It is reasonable to assume they can hack computers in drones.

There is only one way to prevent hacking of computers - unplug them. LOL

Sternjaeger II
12-05-2011, 05:40 PM
I must admit I was surprised to hear they use non encrypted signals to man drones, how silly is that?

The Iranian government claimed that a cyber-warfare team managed to hack the drone and crash land it in Iran, wonder if it's true or not..

whichever the case, this continuous poking of the Iranian giant will turn very very ugly at some point I'm afraid..

Ze-Jamz
12-05-2011, 06:30 PM
I must admit I was surprised to hear they use non encrypted signals to man drones, how silly is that?

The Iranian government claimed that a cyber-warfare team managed to hack the drone and crash land it in Iran, wonder if it's true or not..

whichever the case, this continuous poking of the Iranian giant will turn very very ugly at some point I'm afraid..

No doubt about that.. that will be the next big one..be sure

Ze-Jamz
12-05-2011, 06:31 PM
Hackers have penetrated the US department of defense computers. It is reasonable to assume they can hack computers in drones.

There is only one way to prevent hacking of computers - unplug them. LOL

agreed

TomcatViP
12-05-2011, 11:37 PM
Yeah sadly the risk is increasing.

Coding a stream of image require a lot of computing power hence money.
The link 16 standard is not that powerful.

All the planes hve more or less some prob regarding this.$

Anyway the Q170 was build with that possibility in mind.

Oldschool61
12-06-2011, 01:02 PM

When we get a thumper in office we will invade Iran and start armageddon.