PDA

View Full Version : Fraps and Cliffs too heavy on system performance

5./JG27.Farber
12-03-2011, 11:46 AM
Whilst recording a track with fraps I find the frame rate can drop to 1 even though when the track is run alone its smooth.

Anyone know a work around or different program thats less intensive?

System Specs:

Intel Core2 Quad CPU Q8300 @2.5Ghz
6.00 GB RAM DDR3
ATI Radeon HD5770 1GB RAM DDR5
Win7 64 bit

All in game settings medium

ATAG_Dutch
12-03-2011, 03:32 PM
Hello again mate! :)

I use fraps still, but with my gtx570 only just get a decent enough frame rate capturing at full speed, depending on in-game settings of course.

I've also tried MSI Afterburner which is free and isn't so heavy on resources. Unfortunately sound can't be captured simultaneously with this prog, but if you only want to add music without in-game sounds it works peachy. ;)

I had a 5770 before this card and fully understand where you're coming from. :(

DoolittleRaider
12-03-2011, 06:06 PM
I've not done any COD movie-making (my Rig is very Old, need a new rig after Xmas).

For what it is worth, as I recall with IL-2, the accepted procedure was to run the ntrk at Half-speed, record in Fraps, then double the frame rate in post-processing using Virtual Dub. Not sure if that technique is applicable to your problem in recording.

5./JG27.Farber
12-03-2011, 07:14 PM
Maybe Ill by another Saphire 5770 and run with two cards?

ATAG_Dutch
12-04-2011, 12:59 AM
Maybe Ill by another Saphire 5770 and run with two cards?

Maybe after the new patch. As far as I'm aware crossfire is still a problem.

Mine was a Sapphire too, but being an overly generous type, I gave it to my kid brother. Otherwise there coulda been a deal here! :grin:

The record at half speed thing is a good way of getting around it for now, record at 12 FPS and double to 24 in VirtualDub, but again you have to record sound seperately as far as I'm aware. I never could get into the VirtualDub software myself. Too lazy. I just want to record the thing, add music, edit, publish. That's why I'm no Barfly! ;)

White Owl
12-04-2011, 06:57 AM
I've also tried MSI Afterburner which is free and isn't so heavy on resources. Unfortunately sound can't be captured simultaneously with this prog, but if you only want to add music without in-game sounds it works peachy. ;)
(

Old versions of Afterburner couldn't capture sound, but the recent betas work just fine. That's what I've been using. Free, easy to set up, easy to use, free, less of a system hog than Fraps, and of course did I mention it's free?

Unfortunately, Afterburner won't record any of the ingame menus. Just the actual gameplay itself.

:FI:Sneaky
12-04-2011, 10:41 AM
Old versions of Afterburner couldn't capture sound, but the recent betas work just fine. That's what I've been using. Free, easy to set up, easy to use, free, less of a system hog than Fraps, and of course did I mention it's free?

Unfortunately, Afterburner won't record any of the ingame menus. Just the actual gameplay itself.

That's good news, I still can't get Fraps to capture anything in Cliffs - don't even get FPS counter to show.

Have used Afterburner and recorded the sound on 2nd PC via analog sound mixer.

ATAG_Dutch
12-04-2011, 11:19 AM
Old versions of Afterburner couldn't capture sound, but the recent betas work just fine.

That's great news. I'll check out the beta and compare with fraps for a bit of a comparison.

Cheers!;)

:FI:Sneaky
12-05-2011, 01:52 PM
Anyone have a link for the beta afterburner. Guru DL installed but was "missing components" to run (possibly "Kombustor")

bw_wolverine
12-05-2011, 02:52 PM
Huh. I've had no issues recording full speed with FRAPS, though I'm not recording off of a track playback, but from the mission as it's playing.

jimbop
12-30-2011, 07:14 AM
Anyone have a link for the beta afterburner. Guru DL installed but was "missing components" to run (possibly "Kombustor")

http://event.msi.com/vga/afterburner/download.htm