PDA

View Full Version : Introducing Friends to CLOD

Tavingon
11-30-2011, 07:02 PM
Have you ever introduced a friend to the game?

I have told a few people at work about it who seemed interested, my good friend Tony had a quick flying lesson

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7DC_sERSGE

It didnt end well!

BPickles
11-30-2011, 07:04 PM
I did yeah, i introduced 4 friends and my brother but only 1 can actually play the game the other 3 think its either horrible to try to play or cant run it on the mid-range system. Gutted :(

Ailantd
11-30-2011, 07:15 PM
Have you ever introduced a friend to the game?

I have told a few people at work about it who seemed interested, my good friend Tony had a quick flying lesson

It didnt end well!

I think introducing people without a joystick is the faster way for they lost all interest in the first session. And that is completely understandable.

Tavingon
11-30-2011, 07:18 PM
I think introducing people without a joystick is the faster way for they lost all interest in the first session. And that is completely understandable.

Hehe, very true.. Whats the best value one I can get thats compatible ?

JG52Uther
11-30-2011, 07:19 PM
Did you really make him play just with a keyboard?? Thats cruel! ;)

Whiski
11-30-2011, 07:21 PM
I have introduced a good friend to the game. He is a huge WWII a/c buff and soon as he saw me flying CLoD, he was hooked. He was sitting next to me actually yelling about the enemy planes positions, the graphics blew his mind, and the communications on ATAG TS with others calling target locations, calling for help, etc he wants to play it asap.

I am in the process of building his PC now :grin:. As he is able to afford it I purchase the needed parts and he will be up and running shortly after Christmas.

Whiskey

pupo162
11-30-2011, 07:22 PM

not true. i had a some 4 friends introduced to il2 1946 and i took some effort to bring in joysticks so we could have fun. the result was bad. they weren't use to a joystick, and keep pushing it full forward and back entering spins and such. Seeing me being good at it made them feel even worse. there was no fun, and they ended up not liking the afternoon.

then another time the same 4 guys came in, unadvised and i had only 1 stick. for fairness we agreed that both the pcs ( we foguht 1 vs 1) had to fly keyboard only. the result was great. Everyone was able to keep the plane flying nice and well, fight and have a good time. 2 of them bought the game and played for around a year till they gave up for different reasons ( 1 had the pc dieing in his hands, the other decided to move to LOMAC, which he ended up disliking and giving up Flight sims )
It was a fu ntime and some good fights. il2 duel afternoon at my house was good times. :grin:

JG52Uther
11-30-2011, 07:28 PM
One of the best allied online war flyers apparently only ever used a keyboard!

pupo162
11-30-2011, 07:39 PM
One of the best allied online war flyers apparently only ever used a keyboard!

aha ah i missed the online part.... :grin:

He111
11-30-2011, 08:54 PM
OMG!! no joystick ??? :confused:

Must get a Force feedback! :grin:

I thought about intro friends but they're not into flight sims .. or flying.

Your video reminded me of this ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdYdXpTUgdY

drewpee
12-01-2011, 12:01 AM
I think first you have to have a love of ww2 aircrafts. I've shown people IL-2 only ever start them on arcade settings. Most have no interest in the plane. They just want to blow things up. They tend to have no concept of a 4d environment and get lost/disorientated.

Tavingon
12-01-2011, 07:14 PM
Very true... quick mission dogfights are a great place to start!

David198502
12-02-2011, 09:17 AM
i convinced a friend of mine to buy 1946 a year ago, because he was astouned by the graphics shown in the developement updates of cliffs of dover back then.i told him that it would be useful to invest 8euro for 1946 to learn the fundamental ropes of flying and air compat.he did, but didnt like the old look of the game.now i gave him my russian version of cliffs of dover and he really likes the new graphics.but he isnt really an aviation fan and more used to play first person shooters.thats his biggest problem i think, as he focuses the next target, and completely ignores his surrounding.he is also a bit overwhelmed by the workload to master the planes.i also told him about the opportunity to play as a rear gunner, but i think that the decreased range and speed of movement of the turrets would even distract him further from the game.
all in all i think its really hard to convince people, who are not really interested in either WWII or aviation, of that genre.
but its worth the challenge!

pupaxx
12-02-2011, 12:07 PM
Me too, some years ago, I introduced 5 friends of mine to Il2 series. But now I'm reluctant to recommend them CloD. Their machines are quite similar to mine, except in GPU, mine is more powerful than their. They are also not prone to experiment or twicking or modding the hardware. They are the classic customers who gets upset if things they bought don't work properly.
..and I don't know how do not agree with them.
At the moment I keep them by the reins...when things will get better I'll give them green light!.
Cheers