PDA

View Full Version : Spending Day with BoB Spitfire Pilot - Questions Please

PeterPanPan
11-23-2011, 03:49 PM
I'm spending the day with Flt Lt Ken Wilkinson tomorrow and Friday. He flew Spitfires in the Battle of Britain with 19 Squadron.

Anyone want me to ask him any particular questions?

PPP

41Sqn_Stormcrow
11-23-2011, 04:15 PM
So he was one of the first to fly spitties?

My question would be:

- Was it attempted to hold formation when attacking an enemy formation or was it everybody by his own when attack order was given?

- Were standard defensive manoeuvres trained and executed when attacked?

- could you decide on what ammo was put into your belts?

- which were your prefered ammo types?

- What convergence did you prefer and could you select horizontal and vertical convergence separately?

- How long is the burst one needed to down/put out of fight a 109, a He111 a Bf110 (approximately)?

pupo162
11-23-2011, 04:33 PM
So he was one of the first to fly spitties?

My question would be:

- Was it attempted to hold formation when attacking an enemy formation or was it everybody by his own when attack order was given?

- could you decide on what ammo was put into your belts?

- which were your prefered ammo types?

- What convergence did you prefer and could you select horizontal and vertical convergence separately?

i like all of these

i would had

- from how far could you spot contacts?

- did the glass of cockpit made it harder to spot them?

- could you hear a plane you were flyingg formation with? or a 109 you were close too? how about 109 / spitfires firing near you?

ElAurens
11-23-2011, 04:37 PM
I have no questions.

Just offer him my thanks.

reflected
11-23-2011, 04:42 PM
- When did he throttle fully back on landing? Right before touchdown, or when turning on final/ over the hedge, etc...)

- What RPM setting did he use in combat (both on CSP and 2 speed prop Spits)

Thanks!

blackmme
11-23-2011, 04:58 PM
How was his FPS and did he have to turn tree's and shadow's off? :grin:

The real question would be: 'Was there ever a point when he thought, we are winning, or we have won? Or was it just a daily fight to survive with no realisation of the bigger picture beyond that?'

I envy you your opportunity and I like the previous poster would want above all else to make clear my respect for those men both the now old and those who never got the opportunity to become old and my undying grattitude for their sacrifice.

EDIT: Just thought of a supplementary question given it's 19 Squadron! What was their reaction on being told they were getting cannon armed Spits and how long did it take them to realise they had been sold a pup? Did they get to do much, if any drogue or maneuvering shooting with them before being committed to combat?

Regards Mike

senseispcc
11-23-2011, 05:01 PM
i like all of these

- did the glass of cockpit made it harder to spot them?

The cockpit was made of perpex a sort of plastic not glass. You can see an example of a Spitfire canopy at the London science museum.

now the question I should ask is;

Did you feel a change in quality in the german pilots from the begining of the Battle of britain until the end?

Thanks for this great idea.

Have a nice interview.;)

Sutts
11-23-2011, 05:22 PM
I'm spending the day with Flt Lt Ken Wilkinson tomorrow and Friday. He flew Spitfires in the Battle of Britain with 19 Squadron.

Anyone want me to ask him any particular questions?

PPP

What an opportunity PPP, I really envy you.

Since he probably flew the very early spits I'd really like to hear his opinion on how quickly the engine cut on application of negative G, how quickly it came back to life when the stick was relaxed and just how much pressure was required on the stick to cause a cut......i.e. was it easy to unintentionally cut the engine through slight stick movements or did it require a decent amount of stick movement/force.

Appreciate you doing this. Please pass on our regards and make him aware of the huge interest, respect and admiration our community has for our veterens. I suspect many feel their deeds are long forgotten.

winny
11-23-2011, 06:09 PM
Please ask him what physical effects were felt when the guns were fired. Airspeed, vibration, noise, that kind of thing.

Please ask also if he knows when 100 octane was introduced.

Thanks.

Old-Banger
11-23-2011, 06:20 PM
How often, if ever, were he and his fellow pilots able to attack from above?

How clear or distinctive were messages over the RT? Was there a great deal of static or backround aircraft noise?

But more importantly, please thank him and let him know that I for one will be forever grateful and will never forget the efforts of him and all his colleagues.

Swoop
11-23-2011, 06:31 PM
First off thanks PeterPanPan -

I fly as part of the European Air force in 19 Squadron, in Spitfire QV-J Armagh, which was flown by Walter 'Farmer' Lawson. Did he know him and I have always wondered what the man was like.

Oddly enough I do some farming :)

Kind regards

philip.ed
11-23-2011, 06:42 PM
Sounds like a fantastic opportunity! Please could you ask him whether he believed/believes an invasion of Britain was possible in 1940, and if so does he think the RAF played a major role in deterring any possible invasion? Indeed, does he feel that if the RAF had failed, an invasion would have been enacted? (considering the might of the Royal Navy and Hitler's 'plans'.)

Cheers :D

pupo162
11-23-2011, 06:42 PM
First off thanks PeterPanPan -

I fly as part of the European Air force in 19 Squadron, in Spitfire QV-J Armagh, which was flown by Walter 'Farmer' Lawson. Did he know him and I have always wondered what the man was like.

Oddly enough I do some farming :)

Kind regards

ok.... now i envy you :grin:

Sutts
11-23-2011, 06:49 PM
I've had some time to think and here is a brain dump of things that have bugged me for some time! It would be brilliant if you could get an answer for any of these but the ones in bold would be most appreciated.

Was it common to climb directly into an enemy formation (due to lack of time) rather than secure an advantageous attack position first?

After the initial pass at the enemy, would you just haul it around and go after the nearest target or take time to climb again and position for a more advantageous diving pass?

On the forum I see lots of discussion regarding maintaining energy state through boom and zoom tactics in Spits and Hurris. I'm interested to know if that tactic was well known, understood and used widely at the time or was a straight furball more commonly seen with everyone just turning and chasing the nearest target?

Did the airframe make any noises (creaking, banging, rattling etc.) during heavy maneuvering?

What kind of workload did the Spit give the pilot...was it easy to fly and scan the sky or was systems management a constant concern requiring much time monitoring instruments and tweaking systems with your head in the cockpit?

Did an open radiator noticeably affect performance?
In combat was the radiator left on a fixed setting (fully open?) or managed according to engine temp?
In combat was a fixed power setting used or were you constantly adjusting throttle?
Was cooling a constant problem, especially while climbing....did it ever restrict the power settings you could use due to overheating?
What was the most commonly used radiator setting - was a fully open radiator required most of the time?

How long could a Spit last with a holed radiator?

What was the most common reason for an aircraft put out of action by the enemy:
- loss of coolant
- loss of oil
- fire
- damaged structure

Was the glow of tracer noticeable in the daytime or was it just the smoke trail?

How common was it for pieces of aircraft to fall off under .303 fire?
Were hundreds of small holes the most obvious damage to downed enemy aircraft, rather than large holes, torn skin and structure etc?

Could fire and smoke erupt instantly from an engine under .303 attack or did that usually take a little time to develop?

Was rudder input important while manoeuvring? Did the nose bob and weave noticeably while manoeuvring?
Was much aileron input required to keep a spit flying straight and level?

Thanks again PPP.:grin:

Qpassa
11-23-2011, 07:11 PM
would be great if you record him

T}{OR
11-23-2011, 07:39 PM
would be great if you record him

+1

Dano
11-23-2011, 07:41 PM
Be careful, I had a nasty run in with a member of 19 squardon a few years back after he took massive offense at virtual squadrons using any and all reference to real life squadrons. It was not a pleasant experience :(

tk471138
11-23-2011, 08:05 PM
Be careful, I had a nasty run in with a member of 19 squardon a few years back after he took massive offense at virtual squadrons using any and all reference to real life squadrons. It was not a pleasant experience :(

you should have beat him up...

kalimba
11-23-2011, 08:19 PM
In the video posted few weeks ago, he spoke about tracers looking like
Pingpong balls flying by his plane...
Since tracers have and are still being debated, it would be very useful for the developers to have a real description from a pilot point of view.
So how did his tracers looked from his point of view and how did german's looked like when he was shot at.
Thanks !

mazex
11-23-2011, 08:48 PM
Well, if he shot down any bombers from behind...

How many seconds of aimed fire did it take if you came at them from 6 o clock?

/Mazex

jg27_mc
11-23-2011, 09:46 PM
i have no questions.

Just offer him my thanks.

+1000

ATAG_Keller
11-23-2011, 10:07 PM
This isn't so much related to Cliffs of Dover, but:

What was it like to encounter a new enemy aircraft/model for the first time?

Were improved versions of enemy aircraft apparent, and how much attention was paid to this?

baronWastelan
11-23-2011, 10:54 PM
why did HITLER order CHINESE TAKE-OUT after MIDNIGHT

Mysticpuma
11-23-2011, 11:04 PM
Does he remember his first mission and if he does, what was it and what was the outcome?

What was the first enemy aircraft he encountered (or where was the first?)

Did he ever become close friends with any other pilots or was this not a 'done' thing as it was harder to get over a friend not returning from a mission?

Did the weather ever cause him any problems after take-off/before landing as Fog was often a problem but so was the miserable English weather?

Cheers, MP

bw_wolverine
11-24-2011, 01:40 AM
Please offer him my many thanks as well.

Upthair
11-24-2011, 07:56 AM
My questions are not necessarily related to BOB.

1. During the war, did he have opportunities to sneak up behind German fighters and shoot them down? If yes, what was the shortest range at which he fired from behind an enemy?

2. What was the usual ammo loadout of the Hispano cannon on Spitfire Mk V and IX? (I want to know to what extent the HET-AP-HE-AP* sequence of the Hispano in IL-2 1946 is correct.) Between ground attack sorties and pure air combat sorties, was there any difference in the choice of ammo for Hispanos on the Spitfire?

Thanks for the chance to ask a WWII pilot!

------
HE: high explosive
AP: armor piercing
HET: high explosive tracer

Bonkin
11-25-2011, 10:52 AM
I'm maybe a little late... but maybe you have a smart phone?

I'm interested in how strongly his ties were to the Squadron. Was there strong rivalry between squadrons for example? I'd also be interested in how he might feel about the disbanding of 19 Sqn yesterday (24th Nov) - and the change over to 4 Sqn.

(From my point of view I think it's waste of tax payers money... and those I know in 19 are not too happy either!).

klem
11-25-2011, 12:05 PM
If it's not too late please ask after his old friend Tony Pickering (although I fear the worst). They both adressed us in 2000 at an Air Warrior convention at the Great Barr hotel in Birmingham (at the time it was not actually that 'Great' but it was passable). Some of us older lags remember it well. After their interesting and inspirational after-dinner speeches I passed a very pleasant half hour with Ton'y wife talking about her favourite grand-daughter and my own daughters. Hopefully she is still well too.

Ken had flown Spitfires in the Battle of Britain and had flown in the 'Big Wing' with Douglas Bader. "Sixty aircraft in perfect formation, Fifty Nine aircraft under strict radio silence;... and Bader, chatting away to all and sundry. We were a grand sight" said Ken, "We never saw the enemy, but we were a Grand Sight."

Letum
11-26-2011, 04:35 AM
How good was his technical knowledge of his own and other planes?
Did he always know the version of spitfire he was flying? Did he, for example, know the difference in flight and armament between the 109 E4 and 109 F2?

I ask because I have a friend who flew Spitfires in 1944-45 and I was very surprised that when I asked what type of spitfire he flew, despite his memory being great, he had no idea and didn't think he knew at the time.

I asked if he could tell me what differences he knew about the Bf109 and FW190. All he could say was that the 190 had a round nose and the Bf109 had a big cannon in it's nose. He said he wasn't told anything else at the time.

It would be interesting to know if this was a common experience as it appears to be so different from the experience of most flight-simers.

major_setback
11-26-2011, 11:32 PM
Is it true that all British airmen were issued with brown underwear to save embarrassment?
:-)

41Sqn_Stormcrow
11-27-2011, 08:13 AM
Mh. The meeting was supposed to take place on last Thursday and Friday ...

What I now would be interested in are the answers and better the whole interview as soon as Peter finds the time.

klem
11-28-2011, 06:29 AM
Is it true that all British airmen were issued with brown underwear to save embarrassment?
:-)

No but due to the privations of war and after fighting alone for so long they were probably a little tired and grey.

Timberwolf
11-28-2011, 07:52 AM
Does he remember his first mission and if he does, what was it and what was the outcome?

What was the first enemy aircraft he encountered (or where was the first?)

Did he ever become close friends with any other pilots or was this not a 'done' thing as it was harder to get over a friend not returning from a mission?

Did the weather ever cause him any problems after take-off/before landing as Fog was often a problem but so was the miserable English weather?

Cheers, MP

Friends were made and lost everyday Even enemys became friends after the war Standford tuck DFC DSO and 2 bars was friends with fighter pilot and commander of Germany's fighter force Adolf Galland infact Galland sat in Tuck's house in England talking about all the times there sqauds fought in battle

PeterPanPan
11-28-2011, 03:06 PM
Thanks for all your questions and comments chaps.

24 November saw the disbandment of RAF 19 Squadron, one of the few remaining Battle of Britain Squadrons. I was lucky enough to be invited to the event and even luckier to be honoured (and trusted) to drive Flt Lt Ken Wilkinson to and from the event at RAF Valley.

I don’t think I have ever been on an active RAF base, let alone been invited to such an event. I sat with Ken and others to watch the parade when the Squadron Standard was finally laid down. A moving event, in more ways than one. With winds gusting 48 knots, the Squadron Standard nearly became airborne for one last time, along with various hats and Orders of Service.

I was in the company of the most incredible selection of men – current and ex 19 Squadron members, along with the same for IV Squadron with whom 19 has now effectively merged. Most of us here will of course be most interested in the Spitfire pilots – Ken was sadly the only one there. But there were Lightning and Phantom pilots from the 60s and 70s, current and past Tornado and Harrier pilots, Hawk Pilots (one of whom was ex Red 1 of the Red Arrows) and more, all with endless and incredible stories of sorties, events and a few mishaps. And me … 80 hour Cessna pilot! One young Officer who had only recently joined the Squadron, had about 600 hours on Tornadoes and was convinced he knew nothing about flying and that he and I were really the same!

After the parade, we retired to the Officers Mess, after which it was Black Tie and an unforgettable time in the Mess Bar followed by an incredible ‘Dining in Night’, so steeped in tradition that you could be forgiven for thinking it was still 1940. What an incredible honour to be part of such an event. At dinner, I was sat 2 people away from Ken, who was naturally on the top table. Wg Cdr Marsh’s opening address to the 150 or diners naturally started with words of welcome but he then turned to Ken Wilkinson and spoke passionately about our heroic WWII fighter pilots and what an honour it was to have Ken in our presence. Everyone rose to their feet and clapped and cheered. Ken was, I think, a little embarrassed and started waving his hands, gesturing everyone to sit down. He then said in as loud a voice as he could muster, “We were only doing our job that we had to do”, but I’m not sure many people heard him.

There never seemed the time to ask Ken specific and technical questions about the Spitfire, and it didn’t seem quite appropriate at an event such as this to do so. However, Ken’s passion and memory for his wartime experiences remains as strong as ever and he clearly likes to tell his stories and anecdotes. He also likes to tell jokes and they are bloody funny. It was amazing to be standing with him at the bar, with a jar of ale in his hand, laughing my head off with a 93 year old veteran who stayed up partying well beyond midnight. I hope to meet Ken again next year and will perhaps be able to ask more specific questions then, but in the meantime (and in no particular order) here are some of the Spitfire related items he did drop into conversations which I hope he won’t mind me mentioning here:

• When Ken was stationed in the Orkneys, Ken flew Spit VIs and regularly flew patrols up to 40,000 feet. He once saw a Ju88 about 2,000 feet above him and try as he might, he just couldn’t climb any higher to reach him. The Spit VI had longer wings and the canopy was bolted closed to partly aid with pseudo pressurisation. Bailing out was not an option although he mused that he could have used the in-cockpit axe if needs must.

• In the Orkneys, in the summer months, they would regularly do a dusk patrol, land, have a cigarette and then take off again for a dawn patrol. The land of the midnight sun!

• He was on patrol in the Orkneys one time flying no. 2 to another Spit. On coming in to land, he noticed his leader was trying to land downwind. Never the less, he continued with the formation landing, noting that the ground speed was way too high. He is convinced his no. 1 hadn’t noticed the mistake which is why he (the no. 1) ended up arse over tit in the next field. Ken however was ready and pulled the stick into his gut and applied full opposite rudder and differential braking [how do you do that?!] and stopped just in time. He was rather miffed that his CO collared him saying that he was rather lucky.

• Ken mentioned a variant of the Hurricane Mk II that had a fixed fuel tank under the port wing. That’s right – it was fixed and it was only under one wing. The aircraft had, not unsurprisingly, an awful reputation with some pilots saying you had to have the stick right over to the right to fly straight and level. Ken was transiting to another airfield to fly some ‘other aircraft’. However, when overhead the airfield, he saw these asymmetric Hurris on the ground, thought bugger that, carried on round the circuit and flew back from whence he came!

• When doing fighter sweeps over France, they would cross the Channel as low as they dared. On approaching the French coast, they would pull sharply up and immediately release their drop tank in the hope this would turn into a ballistic missile and take out some Germans. I like it – waste not want not! He doesn’t know if this ever worked though.

• Ken says that Geoffrey Wellum is absolutely right when he describes in his book (First Light) the reality of steep turning. The stuff you are taught in training, 60 to 70 degree turns, is hopeless in combat. 90 degree turns, constantly on the edge of the stall, are the order of the day.

• Gun cams were triggered not by the gun button, but by a separate camera button on the spade grip. I never knew this. Ken says you could ‘spread the thumb’ to get both buttons at once.

PPP

pupo162
11-28-2011, 03:59 PM
nice read. thank you.

i felt rahter sad for not having technical quesitons asked, but at the light of the event you were it would be innapropriate yes. On the other hand, you came up with soem really ncie storys.
cheers!

hugso
11-28-2011, 05:24 PM
Thanks for a very interesting post.