PDA

View Full Version : Miss Shilling's Orifice

Bobo
11-19-2011, 04:58 PM
I found this and it is very interesting. I don't think we have this device installed on our Spits and Hurris?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miss_Shilling%27s_orifice

JG52Krupi
11-19-2011, 05:15 PM
Yes the Mk1 and Mk2 did not have the orifice... I think it only came along around the Mk5 if IIrc?

This still didn't entirely remove the problem, not until the Bendix-Stromberg carburater in the Mk IX was brought in.

Robo.
11-19-2011, 05:35 PM
I found this and it is very interesting. I don't think we have this device installed on our Spits and Hurris?

Krupi is absolutely right. See the Spitfire in Il-2 1946 (Mk.Vb early for instance - neg G only sorted at full boost)

Bobo
11-19-2011, 06:32 PM
Cool, thanks Gents.

Bloblast
11-19-2011, 10:28 PM
Did the brits not manage to create a fuel injection in 40-45?

SEE
11-20-2011, 03:27 AM
IIRC, Rolls Royce considered the advantages and disadvantages and felt that the carburettor system was better for acheiving max HP from the Merlin.

The Luftwaffe fitted a FI engine (can't remember which model but one that was already in service in one of their bombers) to a captured early Spit and, from the accounts I read, Luftwafe pilots really enjoyed flying it. I am pretty sure It was sent to the USA at the end of the war but was written off in an accident.

Friendly_flyer
11-20-2011, 07:27 AM

Thank you for liking my Wikipedia article! I wrote it after a discussion on the UBI forums that had enough technical details and sources for making an article.

The "Tilly Orifice" (I can quite see the airmen of the RAF toast to that!) war retrofitted to all Fighter Command planes from late 1940 onwards. The device falls outside the Battle of Britain period in the narrow sense, though front-line units would have it during the late autumns fights against intruding jabos.

Bokononist
11-20-2011, 08:30 AM
Unfortunately for red pilots this wasn't ready for BoB, good find though. I hope the devs have found this little gem when they have been 'poring over Spitfire data', for later periods of course. Also I hope that they spot the 12 and 15 pound boost variants of the merlin which I'm sure were available in the BoB.

41Sqn_Stormcrow
11-20-2011, 08:44 AM
the 12 boost is afaik already available (spit2a) even if the dial does not read it. I have some doubts that a 15 lbs boost spit ever made it to front line during BoB.

TomcatViP
11-20-2011, 09:48 AM
Why do they keep bulling any forum with the same arguments ?:confused:

Robo.
11-20-2011, 01:08 PM
the 12 boost is afaik already available (spit2a) even if the dial does not read it. I have some doubts that a 15 lbs boost spit ever made it to front line during BoB.

12lbs. is only available on Mk.IIa as you say, but as for the 'dial not reading it' - it's not supposed to as +12PSI is well outside it's range. It just moved beyond +8PSI and pilot felt the extra power although the Boost gauge didn't display it. (in so caleld RL)

What is weird thouugh is the Mixture lever as it needs to be on Auto lean in order to get that kind of boost. Unless they have it other way round at the moment (1.05) this is weird / wrong.

15lbs. :confused: Perhaps you mean 16lbs Mk.II Sea Hurricanes with Merlin XXs.

What we've got in game are Merlin III (All Mk.I Spits and Hurris) and Merlin XII (Spiftire Mk.IIa). +12PSI should be available via pulling the plug on all Mk.Is in the given era. Quite OT though, as far I know, tilly orifice has never been fitted in any Merlin III airframe therefore is (imho) out of focus for CoD. We're talking early Mk.Vbs here...

Robo.
11-20-2011, 02:10 PM
From what I've read, by November 41 all Merlin engines had been fitted with the orifice, interesting about no Merlin IIIs having it, as I would have assumed there were still planes with the earlier engines flying about.

How many Merlin III aircraft were in the fronline service in November 1941? ;) I will check the 'Merlin in perspective' for more information, but as it has been said, this is quite irrelevant for BoB era anyway.

As for British effort - they actually obtained the German FI before BoB (apparently from Spain) but didn't consider it important at all:

"In May, 1940, for example, a mysterious stranger approached Michael Golovine of Rolls-Royce an a Budapest cafe, and handed him a parcel containing the fuel pump from a DB601 engine, the device which allowed the Bf 109 to bunt without its engine cutting out. When Golovine tried to give the injection unit to the British Air Attache, he said he did not want it, and it never got to England."

Kongo-Otto
11-20-2011, 02:26 PM
The Luftwaffe fitted a FI engine (can't remember which model but one that was already in service in one of their bombers) to a captured early Spit and, from the accounts I read, Luftwafe pilots really enjoyed flying it. I am pretty sure It was sent to the USA at the end of the war but was written off in an accident.

Think you mean this one:
http://www.ww2incolor.com/d/212992-2/Hdbspit_1

Spitfire Vb serial EN830 / NX-X fell into German hands late in 1942. It crash landed on November 18th 1942 while being flown by P/O (Sous Lt.) Bernard Scheidhauer of the Free French Air Force, attached to 131 "County of Kent" Sqn. RAF. He and his No.1, P/O Henri de Bordas, had been on a "rhubarb" to Normandy during the afternoon. EN830 was hit by light flak and made a forced landing in a turnip field at Dielament Manor, Trinity, Jersey.

After a brief period at Rechlin the modified Spitfire returned to Echterdingen to serve officially as a test bed. Its career ended on 14th August, 1944, when a formation of US bombers attacked Echterdingen.
The remains of the hybrid Spitfire were scrapped at the Klemm factory at Böblingen.

SEE
11-20-2011, 03:04 PM
Thanks Kongo Otto, I couldn't remember the exact details of its demise. It was an interesting read as very few mods had to be carried out to the Spits airframe in order to fit the Daimler engine.

robtek
11-20-2011, 04:57 PM
Afaik the cowling of a BF110 was used.