PDA

View Full Version : 2 pitch propellers - advice needed

reflected
11-07-2011, 08:25 AM
Guys,

I could use some help with 2 pitch propellers. I know that you have to set it to fine for takeoff, and coarse for cruising. I also know that the max RPM for the Merlin is 3,000, and the ideal for cruising is around 2,000-2,100.

But how do you set the prop for climbing and fighting? If I set it to coarse, the plane becomes sluggish, and the boost gauge goes up beyond the red (that makes the engine overheat), on the other hand, if I set it to fine, I have to throttle back otherwise the engine would overrev. I also have the impression that it seriously limits the top speed (duh) so it's not that suitable for combat either.

So, what then? How do you fight, and do you set it to coarse immediately after takeoff?

Thanks in advance!

ZaltysZ
11-07-2011, 10:32 AM
Coarse is too coarse for cruise in this game. However, it is suitable for high speed dives.

TomcatViP
11-07-2011, 01:47 PM
Tweak the mixture. It helps a lot !

Robo.
11-07-2011, 01:50 PM
Tweak the mixture. It helps a lot !

He can not tweak it a lot - Auto lean / Auto rich are the only options afik and the difference is subtle once in flight.

bw_wolverine
11-07-2011, 02:01 PM
Here's how I operate it (your mileage may vary):

Operate at fine pitch for take off and climb. Switch to coarse pitch for cruising at altitudes above 3,000-4,000ft. Using coarse for cruising at very low altitudes can cause very low rpms due to the density of the air. So, by the same token, I switch back to fine pitch when lining up my landing - you want it that way anyway so you have a lot of power ready if you need to scrub the landing and go around at the last second.

Fuel on auto rich up to 16,000ft, then switching to auto-lean when cruising. Reduce throttle to manage RPMs down to 0-2 boost, otherwise the engine runs rough. Increase throttle as needed when climbing higher to maintain the 0-2 boost setting, or switch back to auto rich when engaging or diving. That said, the way most people seem to be flying Spits online, I'd not even bother with the mixture settings for the 2-speed variable.

Always set coarse pitch for dives and keep an eye on the RPMs to prevent over-rev.

You CAN climb with coarse pitch setting, but I wouldn't climb at a higher rate than 1,000ft/sec doing this (unless you're coming out of a high speed dive and then let your E take you up and switch back to fine if you lose all your speed during that climb).

There's a bunch of other situations, but that's my basics. I'm probably not even doing it the best way (or even the correct way!) but it gets me to France and back with some fighting in between.

TomcatViP
11-07-2011, 02:26 PM
He can not tweak it a lot - Auto lean / Auto rich are the only options afik and the difference is subtle once in flight.

well it work in an Hurri without CSP. May I suggest the move :rolleyes: