PDA

View Full Version : Grass resistance

reflected
11-06-2011, 09:43 PM
Is it just me or the grass in CloD is made of super glue? Taxiing and taking off from grass airfields is utterly unrealistically difficult and sluggish. I give 25% power and my Spitfire is barely moving forward.

Insuber
11-06-2011, 10:07 PM
Merlin sucks ... :D

zipper
11-07-2011, 01:10 AM
I love flying off of good grass strips in RL. It's like velvet, sooper smooth and soft. Can't say that I've noticed a huge difference with performance, but it is definitely there.

Skoshi Tiger
11-07-2011, 05:16 AM
What sort of grass are we talking about here? Short, long, wet or dry?

When taking off on long wet grass you should be adding a safety factory of up 25% to your take off run. (Check your operating hand book for the correct amount)

When I had grass turned on it was coming up to (and sometime sticking through ) the trailing edge of my Hurricane.

That would slow you down a tad, especially if damp!

Cheers

reflected
11-07-2011, 05:35 AM
I'm talking about airfields with short grass of course. Don't tell me that you have to taxi a Spit at 25-30% throttle. Same goes for every aricraft by the way.

Skoshi Tiger
11-07-2011, 06:30 AM
I'm talking about airfields with short grass of course. Don't tell me that you have to taxi a Spit at 25-30% throttle. Same goes for every aricraft by the way.

30% of what? throttle movement?

The relationship between throttle movement (% from closed to fully open) and power is not linear. In the Mk1 in game the 30% of throttle movement bearly gets the RPM showing on the Tachometer that has a minimum value of 1600RPM.

Each engine has a power band where it efficiently produces power. I doubt the Merlin gets near it's power band until over 2200RPM at least (anyone with the correct figures please step in here)

When you hear and read pilots accounts of flying these aircaft you don't really hear them talking about 'percentage of throttle', they talk about setting an RPM and Manifold pressure when describing their power.

You can taxi very, very slowly with the engine idling. For anything beyond a snails pace expect to have to open up the throttle to start moving then reduce the throttle to maintain your taxi speed.

Cheers!

fireflyerz
11-07-2011, 07:44 AM
Reflected is right the ground handling of these aircraft in this and the previous game is way off , on grass a short burst to get you unstuck and then you should be able to taxi at a steady pace on NO more than 20-30 percent MAX and even that is being generous, there should be a separate ground handling Fm , but most cant be bothered cos its a flight sim and who cares about ground handling.

reflected
11-07-2011, 08:11 AM
Reflected is right the ground handling of these aircraft in this and the previous game is way off , on grass a short burst to get you unstuck and then you should be able to taxi at a steady pace on NO more than 20-30 percent MAX and even that is being generous, there should be a separate ground handling Fm , but most cant be bothered cos its a flight sim and who cares about ground handling.

It was meant to be sarcasm, right? :)

Taxiin Is part of flying a plane. OTherwise you could say who needs trees, it's a flight sim :P

EDIT: Try the accu-sim Spitfire MKI in FSX. That one handles like the real thing, and it's nothing like CloD (I wish I couldn't say that)

Jumpy
11-07-2011, 08:26 AM
Merlin sucks ... :D

Perhaps he should pump up his tyres!;)

Koala63
11-07-2011, 08:34 AM
Try the accu-sim Spitfire MKI in FSX. That one handles like the real thing, and it's nothing like CloD (I wish I couldn't say that)

We need that mad scientist from Southpark to mate the accusim spit and CloD. Now that would be getting close to what we're looking for.

IvanK
11-07-2011, 08:41 AM
Try the accu-sim Spitfire MKI in FSX. That one handles like the real thing, and it's nothing like CloD (I wish I couldn't say that)

We need that mad scientist from Southpark to mate the accusim spit and CloD. Now that would be getting close to what we're looking for.

Fair suck of the Sav Koala :) how do you know it handles like the real thing :) It represents their interpretation.

reflected
11-07-2011, 08:53 AM
Fair suck of the Sav Koala :) how do you know it handles like the real thing :) It represents their interpretation.

Stop kidding yourself ;)

robtek
11-07-2011, 08:55 AM
I'd have big doubts about the ground-simulation in FSX.

GF_Mastiff
11-07-2011, 08:57 AM
If any thing it's to slippery, I hold my breaks and still slide all over.
I don't get stuck like glue I can roll out and take off with no problems.

Skoshi Tiger
11-07-2011, 09:08 AM
Here's a spitfire MKII taxying on short grass.

After an initial rev up to 1600RPM to get it moving, it taxi's at about 1500RPM (wouldn't be shown on the RMP guage in the cockpit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=De23Quc1Ggs

From my guestimate the throttle lever position is about 20%. What should it be? please post sources to correct info. (not another other sim please!)

Cheers!

Skoshi Tiger
11-07-2011, 09:09 AM
If any thing it's to slippery, I hold my breaks and still slide all over.
I don't get stuck like glue I can roll out and take off with no problems.

+ Thats my take on it!

fireflyerz
11-07-2011, 09:36 AM
It was meant to be sarcasm, right? :)

Taxiin Is part of flying a plane. OTherwise you could say who needs trees, it's a flight sim :P

EDIT: Try the accu-sim Spitfire MKI in FSX. That one handles like the real thing, and it's nothing like CloD (I wish I couldn't say that)

Yeah course it was , like I said these sim models need a more detailed fm that includes ground handling characteristics , cos if you could taxi on just over tickover like in real life, imagine how that would transfer to the air speed in the sim without rewriting the Fm to include Ground handling.

ACE-OF-ACES
11-07-2011, 01:51 PM
Answer me these questions three.. What... is the ground-resistance of an unladen grass airfield?
What do you mean? An African or European grass airfield?

reflected
11-07-2011, 01:53 PM

:grin:

TomcatViP
11-07-2011, 02:22 PM
I hve a completely diverging opinion. How much talented are AcuSim devs, there is no way you can build any realistic FM with FSX. ;)

VO101_Tom
11-07-2011, 03:09 PM
Is it just me or the grass in CloD is made of super glue? Taxiing and taking off from grass airfields is utterly unrealistically difficult and sluggish. I give 25% power and my Spitfire is barely moving forward.

Betonon más a helyzet? Nem figyeltem ezt még, azért kérdem.

Trumper
11-07-2011, 03:33 PM
2 mins 50 secs in for taxiing,what percentage is the throttle?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQ9GV7CRQDk

Osprey
11-07-2011, 05:37 PM
Here's a spitfire MKII taxying on short grass.

After an initial rev up to 1600RPM to get it moving, it taxi's at about 1500RPM (wouldn't be shown on the RMP guage in the cockpit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=De23Quc1Ggs

From my guestimate the throttle lever position is about 20%. What should it be? please post sources to correct info. (not another other sim please!)

Cheers!

Don't really call that a taxi, you're not even moving at walking pace. Turning is a nightmare too, but watch real footage (and the real thing at airshows) and there never seems to be a problem.

Hope to see it fixed in the future :)

Skoshi Tiger
11-07-2011, 10:05 PM

African! Pifft! What we got here here is a classic graphical example of 'Shin High New Guinea Highland' ;)

Don't really call that a taxi, you're not even moving at walking pace. Turning is a nightmare too, but watch real footage (and the real thing at airshows) and there never seems to be a problem.

TAXI- The movement of an airplane under its own power on the surface of an airport (FAR Part 135.100 [Note]).

As the question was asked before I'll repeat it. "What was the throttle setting for that?" What RPM were they running at? Do you know?

Skoshi Tiger
11-08-2011, 03:49 AM
[QUOTE=Koala63;358980We need that mad scientist from Southpark to mate the accusim spit and CloD. Now that would be getting close to what we're looking for.[/QUOTE]

I doubt he could get the DNA to splice artificially! He'ld have to use the old fashioned way. Where's that beer! ;)

Koala63
11-08-2011, 05:33 AM
Fair suck of the Sav Koala how do you know it handles like the real thing

Carn mate. I don't think that I did say or imply that I did anywhere. I was just saying that with enough beer and mood music, both sims might spawn something closer to what most of us would be happier with.

BTW, I went out and purchased FSX wholy and solely to fly the accusim spit, and I did this wholy and solely in frustration with trying to enjoy the CloD Spitty. I'd much rather be flying in a fully functional (as advertised) CloD bird but thems the breaks.

With the ORBX scenery pack in FSX, I can take off from YWOL, and fly visual down to Jervis Bay, then west up the Shoalhaven river, over to Lake George, fly low up Northbourne Ave and buzz Parliament, then scoot back home in time for tea with gas still in the tank. All the while nursing the engine like its my own personal merlin. I've got 10 hours on the engine now with only a clean-up of the spark plugs. Half a dozen takeoffs and landings and some fun acrobatics with no damage.

Sad, but my last online CloD flight in a MkII lasted about 15 minutes before the last in a series of giant freezes sent me into the ground. I live in hope that promises will be delivered and I'll be able to fly a functional CloD mission online oneday.

And yeah, I reckon the grass is too sticky too. Kunai for sure.

IvanK
11-08-2011, 07:38 AM
I'm Shizerstirring Koala :)

BTW does ORBX scenery include the strip at Mittagong ?

Koala63
11-12-2011, 01:14 AM
YMIG is there with the free OZx32 add on for ORBX scenery.

Narrow and very undulating. Almost pranged the crate just now landing there - not used to country runways disappearing in front of me as I roll up hill and down dale along them :).

Wollongong to Mittagong, land, take-off and return all totalling 0.8 hrs log time.

Robo.
11-12-2011, 01:28 AM
Koala, cool stuff, YWOL is my default scenery for A2A accu-sim Spitty, some 40+ hours in it and counting.

IvanK
11-12-2011, 08:38 PM
YMIG is there with the free OZx32 add on for ORBX scenery.

Narrow and very undulating. Almost pranged the crate just now landing there - not used to country runways disappearing in front of me as I roll up hill and down dale along them :).

Wollongong to Mittagong, land, take-off and return all totalling 0.8 hrs log time.

Might have to reinstall FSX and get the Orbyx scenery.

reflected
11-13-2011, 08:10 AM
I checked:

I need about 40% throttle to achieve the same taxi speed as on the AccuSim Spitfire at 20%.

Not to mention turning with full rudder and differential brakes.