Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > Technical threads > Vehicle and Terrain threads

Vehicle and Terrain threads Discussions about environment and vehicles in CoD

Old 11-06-2011, 09:43 PM
Approved Member

Default Grass resistance

Is it just me or the grass in CloD is made of super glue? Taxiing and taking off from grass airfields is utterly unrealistically difficult and sluggish. I give 25% power and my Spitfire is barely moving forward.
Old 11-06-2011, 10:07 PM
Approved Member

Merlin sucks ...
Old 11-07-2011, 01:10 AM
zipper

I love flying off of good grass strips in RL. It's like velvet, sooper smooth and soft. Can't say that I've noticed a huge difference with performance, but it is definitely there.
Old 11-07-2011, 05:16 AM
Approved Member

What sort of grass are we talking about here? Short, long, wet or dry?

When taking off on long wet grass you should be adding a safety factory of up 25% to your take off run. (Check your operating hand book for the correct amount)

When I had grass turned on it was coming up to (and sometime sticking through ) the trailing edge of my Hurricane.

That would slow you down a tad, especially if damp!

Cheers
Old 11-07-2011, 05:35 AM
Approved Member

I'm talking about airfields with short grass of course. Don't tell me that you have to taxi a Spit at 25-30% throttle. Same goes for every aricraft by the way.
Old 11-07-2011, 06:30 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reflected View Post
I'm talking about airfields with short grass of course. Don't tell me that you have to taxi a Spit at 25-30% throttle. Same goes for every aricraft by the way.
30% of what? throttle movement?

The relationship between throttle movement (% from closed to fully open) and power is not linear. In the Mk1 in game the 30% of throttle movement bearly gets the RPM showing on the Tachometer that has a minimum value of 1600RPM.

Each engine has a power band where it efficiently produces power. I doubt the Merlin gets near it's power band until over 2200RPM at least (anyone with the correct figures please step in here)

When you hear and read pilots accounts of flying these aircaft you don't really hear them talking about 'percentage of throttle', they talk about setting an RPM and Manifold pressure when describing their power.

You can taxi very, very slowly with the engine idling. For anything beyond a snails pace expect to have to open up the throttle to start moving then reduce the throttle to maintain your taxi speed.

Cheers!

Last edited by Skoshi Tiger; 11-07-2011 at 06:55 AM.
Old 11-07-2011, 07:44 AM
Approved Member

Reflected is right the ground handling of these aircraft in this and the previous game is way off , on grass a short burst to get you unstuck and then you should be able to taxi at a steady pace on NO more than 20-30 percent MAX and even that is being generous, there should be a separate ground handling Fm , but most cant be bothered cos its a flight sim and who cares about ground handling.
Old 11-07-2011, 08:11 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireflyerz View Post
Reflected is right the ground handling of these aircraft in this and the previous game is way off , on grass a short burst to get you unstuck and then you should be able to taxi at a steady pace on NO more than 20-30 percent MAX and even that is being generous, there should be a separate ground handling Fm , but most cant be bothered cos its a flight sim and who cares about ground handling.
It was meant to be sarcasm, right?

Taxiin Is part of flying a plane. OTherwise you could say who needs trees, it's a flight sim

EDIT: Try the accu-sim Spitfire MKI in FSX. That one handles like the real thing, and it's nothing like CloD (I wish I couldn't say that)
Old 11-07-2011, 08:26 AM
Approved Member

Default Taxi in Grass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insuber View Post
Merlin sucks ...
Perhaps he should pump up his tyres!
Old 11-07-2011, 08:34 AM
Registered Member

Try the accu-sim Spitfire MKI in FSX. That one handles like the real thing, and it's nothing like CloD (I wish I couldn't say that)

We need that mad scientist from Southpark to mate the accusim spit and CloD. Now that would be getting close to what we're looking for.