PDA

View Full Version : The 8 commandments

louisv
11-05-2011, 08:59 PM
Always good to read again

Dicta Boelcke

1 Try to secure the upper hand before attacking. If possible, keep the sun behind you
2 Always continue with an attack you have begun
3 Open fire only at close range, and then only when the opponent is squarely in your sights
4 You should always try to keep your eye on your opponent, and never let yourself be deceived by ruses
5 In any type of attack, it is essential to assail your opponent from behind
6 If your opponent dives on you, do not try to get around his attack, but fly to meet it
7 When over the enemy's lines, always remember your own line of retreat
8 Tip for Squadrons: In principle, it is better to attack in groups of four or six. Avoid two aircraft attacking the same opponent

From Wikipedia

louisv
11-05-2011, 09:03 PM
Oswald Boelcke (German pronunciation: [ˈbœlkə]; 19 May 1891 – 28 October 1916) was a German flying ace of the First World War and one of the most influential patrol leaders and tacticians of the early years of air combat. Boelcke is considered the father of the German fighter air force, as well as the "Father of Air Fighting Tactics"; he was the first to formalize rules of air fighting, which he presented as the Dicta Boelcke. While he promulgated rules for the individual pilot, his main concern was the use of formation fighting rather than single effort.
Germany's premier ace, Manfred von Richthofen (The Red Baron), had been taught by Boelcke and continued to idolize his late mentor long after he had surpassed Boelcke's tally of victories.

From Wikipedia

Skoshi Tiger
11-05-2011, 10:03 PM
The from a later war Sailor Milans had his ten rules. I read that they were widely spread thoughout the RAF.

"
TEN OF MY RULES FOR AIR FIGHTING
1.Wait until you see the whites of his eyes. Fire short bursts of one to two seconds only when your sights are definitely "ON".
2.Whilst shooting think of nothing else, brace the whole of your body: have both hands on the stick: concentrate on your ring sight.
3.Always keep a sharp lookout. "Keep your finger out".
4.Height gives you the initiative.
5.Always turn and face the attack.
6.Make your decisions promptly. It is better to act quickly even though your tactics are not the best.
7.Never fly straight and level for more than 30 seconds in the combat area.
8.When diving to attack always leave a proportion of your formation above to act as a top guard.
9.INITIATIVE, AGGRESSION, AIR DISCIPLINE, and TEAMWORK are words that MEAN something in Air Fighting.
10.Go in quickly - Punch hard - Get out!"

10 must be better than 8, isn't it?

Cheers!

Sven
11-05-2011, 11:19 PM
1 Try to secure the upper hand before attacking. If possible, keep the sun behind you

3 Open fire only at close range, and then only when the opponent is squarely in your sights

4 You should always try to keep your eye on your opponent, and never let yourself be deceived by ruses

7 When over the enemy's lines, always remember your own line of retreat

The most useful ones in my opinion :)

ATAG_Snapper
11-06-2011, 12:26 AM
And above all, most important: Never fire until you get "tone".

ATAG_Snapper
11-06-2011, 01:06 AM
Tone? Is that your wingman screaming in your ear, "Dammit, shoot or let me have it?"

ahaha :)

That would be it! LOL

Skoshi Tiger
11-06-2011, 07:33 AM
Yes, Adolf (his given name) Malan's (proper spelling) 10 rules are good, but basically just summing up the Dicta Boelcki again, with 2 physical observations. Probably don't apply to us, I can't imagine keeping 2 hands on the stick is that much use! ;(

Thanks for the correction. -must have been in too much of a rush to post.

I think Malan's two extra rules are, '4.Height gives you the initiative.' and 6.Make your decisions promptly. It is better to act quickly even though your tactics are not the best.'

4, would have been an advantage in both wars but I wonder if 6 was added due to the changing pace of air combat.

The rest sort of cross over.

I've tried the two hand trick and it helps when making small adjustments on my Warthog, but you realy need a centre mounted stick otherwise it just awkward.

drewpee
11-07-2011, 12:19 AM
Drewpee's rule of combat.

1. It is best to engage in aerial combat when the wife and kids are in bed. Distractions in the heat of battle (like dad look what the doggy is doing to the kitty) will get you killed or accused of not loving the cat.

2. Secure your joy stick properly before you get to excited and it ends up sideways and half off the desk.

3. Take a piss before lift off.

4. Clean your screen.(that is not a bandit but fly shit on your canopy)

5. Do not put your beer in front of the joystick. It will be knocked over onto the keyboard.(IMO if the Germans had of put cup holders in there birds they just mite have won the war)

6. Is your joystick plugged in and program running?

7. (For advanced combat). TrackIR doesn't work during the day in a bright room. You will end up with a broken neck and looking at the back of your seat.

8. Unless your seat is secure or has no wheels take it easy on your rudder pedals or you will find you will move backwards and can no longer reach your controls.

9. Don't type messages and fly, it will get you killed. That's why no mobile phones were allowed in the cockpit during WW2 (Wikipedia)

10. small dog under the computer table spells death from jammed pedals and dog farts.

Hope this helps.:)

Sven
11-08-2011, 10:12 PM
:grin::grin::grin: Classic, and yes all very much true

Ataros
11-09-2011, 05:05 PM
Not easy to find nowadays

Fletchman's ACM Axioms!
Literally Rules to Lives by!
http://www.jg51.net/fletchman.htm