PDA

View Full Version : Zoom view?

SharpeXB
11-04-2011, 06:29 PM
Is there a way to have a zoom view from the cockpit?
There's the End and Del keys which change your FOV but not an axis for zoom?
That's a very useful command which should be added if there isn't one.

Forcavitale
11-04-2011, 09:36 PM
You can use the mouse and the default key to zoom

SharpeXB
11-05-2011, 12:39 PM
You can use the mouse and the default key to zoom

Is there an axis for the zoom view? I like to map it to my rudder pedal toe axis, it's very useful that way.

Lololopoulos
11-05-2011, 01:23 PM
YES. I have the same question. what is the axis command so that I can hold onto a button and zoom in (not jump forward), and then release the button and come back to the original zoom level?

Basha
11-05-2011, 02:16 PM
+ on that

Sokol1
11-05-2011, 02:17 PM
Zoom is associated with mouse Y movement - plus a key - and not available to remap in axis controls.

Are a workaround using JoyToKey.

Sokol1

SharpeXB
11-05-2011, 03:03 PM
Zoom is associated with mouse Y movement - plus a key - and not available to remap in axis controls.

Are a workaround using JoyToKey.

Sokol1

I'll avoid a rant cause I want to stay positive about CloD
but... why on earth make such a basic command so complicated?! :confused:

SharpeXB
11-05-2011, 04:46 PM
The game should have the following commands:
Zoom In
Zoom Out
Hold to Zoom
Zoom Axis

SEE
11-05-2011, 10:25 PM

Not sure about other flightsticks but you can with Saiteks X52 and X45. I agree It should really be assignable to a slider via the menu.

jimbop
11-05-2011, 11:03 PM
Not sure about other flightsticks but you can with Saiteks X52 and X45. I agree It should really be assignable to a slider via the menu.

You mean by using the mouse thumb stick? Yes, this is useful but a slider would be far better for general use.

SEE
11-05-2011, 11:38 PM
You mean by using the mouse thumb stick? Yes, this is useful but a slider would be far better for general use.

It would be better but I find the mouse thumb and using latch mode on one of my buttons is pretty well close to having a zoom slider. I would think that at some point it will be introduced as an assignable axis, but for the time being.....

jimbop
11-05-2011, 11:59 PM
Yes it is a good solution as long as your stick has a thumb mouse. I just meant that a slider would be a more broadly applicable solution.

SharpeXB
11-06-2011, 10:22 PM
There must be a way to assign a zoom axis or slider. I see it being done on this YouTube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-R1W6s-F34&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Sokol1
11-06-2011, 11:09 PM
There must be a way to assign a zoom axis or slider. I see it being done on this YouTube.

This guy in YT video - Lobisomem - use JoyToKey to handle ZOOM.

Sokol1

Dano
11-07-2011, 12:28 AM
I'll avoid a rant cause I want to stay positive about CloD
but... why on earth make such a basic command so complicated?! :confused:

Indeed, this should have been basic functionality from the start.

bw_wolverine
11-07-2011, 12:33 AM
I just wish we had a toggle FOV key. I haven't been able to find one.

I used to have Toggle FOV on my joystick to switch between all three in IL-2 1946.

Now I have to map three keys for it. Track IR is great, but leaning forward towards the gunsight only zooms on the cockpit, not the actual target.

I've currently mapped the nearest and furthest FOV keys to my joystick, but I still want that toggle fov key back :/

SharpeXB
11-04-2012, 03:13 PM
I find this game or any flight simulator impossible to play without a zoom axis
and the workaround still involves using two buttons at once.

Snapping views in and out with the 30/70/90 fovs is absurd because you'll lose the target during the snap, what is needed is a way to zoom smoothly in and out like in every other flight sim game there is. Except Cliffs of Dover.

It's apparent the views systems and commands in this game were designed by someone with no experience in flight sims and were given no thought at all in regards to playability. Why on earth would a basic view command the zoom require two buttons to be held down at the same time and not be assignable in the menu?
Why was this issue not addressed in any of the patches?

Hood
11-04-2012, 04:00 PM

Snapping views in and out with the 30/70/90 fovs is absurd because you'll lose the target during the snap, what is needed is a way to zoom smoothly in and out like in every other flight sim game there is. Except Cliffs of Dover.

It's apparent the views systems and commands in this game were designed by someone with no experience in flight sims and were given no thought at all in regards to playability. Why on earth would a basic view command the zoom require two buttons to be held down at the same time and not be assignable in the menu?

It makes sense otherwise it would be like giving pilots binoculars. The TrackIR zoom is a nice trade off but because of how it works the enemy cannot be enlarged that much. The FOV is ok but I find I stay in FOV 90 all the time save for when I try to identify a contact. I don't lose contacts switching between FOVs.

All in all I'd say it's ok, but the LOD and pixellation of contacts is the problem.

Hood

SharpeXB
11-04-2012, 06:35 PM
Zoom is needed to make up for the lack of resolution on a PC screen compared to real life. If your eyesight was as bad as 1080p you would have a very short career as a fighter pilot. In a PC game you need the zoom just to be able to see your own cockpit.
All flight sim games have a zoom feature. CloD has one as well it's just terribly and awkwardly handled. I can't imagine why it is so badly done in this game.
It's not an excuse to say zoom isn't realistic. The game has the feature but why it requires two commands at once and why it's not mappable is a total mystery.
DCS and RoF are much better and more realistic simulators and they don't see the need to make the game more real by forcing the zoom feature to be awkwardly unusable.

jayrc
11-05-2012, 01:47 AM
Here I use a combination of mouse down with right mouse button to get smooth zooming, This is using joytokey which is a free program, you can change the speed too.

SharpeXB
11-05-2012, 02:18 AM
I swear this issue is so infuriating
There’s no reason players should have to reprogram the game to do a simple basic command all other flight sims have.
I don’t understand why 1C can’t add this command.
How can you use the mouse while flying? How can you use the mouse for zoom and then for the cockpit at the same time?!
ADD A MAPPABLE ZOOM AXIS!

MadBlaster
11-05-2012, 03:18 AM
you can also use glovepie. youtube has tutorials, etc. if you never heard of it and want to learn more. below is a script that will do what you want. it assumes you are only using one joystick (labled "joystick1") and you will have to change the fov keys to whatever you are using in clod. joystick1.pov1 is your hat switch. var.fov is your virtual axis. when you start the script, var.fov is automatically initialized to equal zero as the starting point. var.fov++ add 1, var.fov-- subtracts 1.

;zoom script
if (var.fov <=10 and joystick1.Pov1=0 degrees) then //decrease fov/zoom in
key.end=true //change key.end to whatever your incremental decrease fov key is (e.g., key.delete)
key.end=false //same thing as above
var.fov++
endif
if (var.fov >=0 and joystick1.Pov1=180 degrees) then //increaese fov/zoom out
key.home=true //change key.home to whatever your incremental decrease fov key is (e.g., key.insert)
key.home=false //same thing as above
var.fov--
endif

SharpeXB
11-05-2012, 10:39 AM
you can also use glovepie. youtube has tutorials, etc. if you never heard of it and want to learn more. below is a script that will do what you want. it assumes you are only using one joystick (labled "joystick1") and you will have to change the fov keys to whatever you are using in clod. joystick1.pov1 is your hat switch. var.fov is your virtual axis. when you start the script, var.fov is automatically initialized to equal zero as the starting point. var.fov++ add 1, var.fov-- subtracts 1.

;zoom script
if (var.fov <=10 and joystick1.Pov1=0 degrees) then //decrease fov/zoom in
key.end=true //change key.end to whatever your incremental decrease fov key is (e.g., key.delete)
key.end=false //same thing as above
var.fov++
endif
if (var.fov >=0 and joystick1.Pov1=180 degrees) then //increaese fov/zoom out
key.home=true //change key.home to whatever your incremental decrease fov key is (e.g., key.insert)
key.home=false //same thing as above
var.fov--
endif
I'm not a computer programmer so this method is beyond my understanding, sorry.

Sokol1
11-06-2012, 12:47 AM
Here I use a combination of mouse down with right mouse button to get smooth zooming, This is using joytokey which is a free program, you can change the speed too.

Jayrc

How you set this in game controls?

I try replicate your JoyToKey settings, but when I hit the (assigned) joy button, I only get "look at seat" :)

Sokol1

SharpeXB
11-06-2012, 01:10 AM
Is it possible to set up the zoom to work on a single axis like my rudder toe axis?
If it has to also use a modifier it's too awkward. It needs to be on a single axis.

MadBlaster
11-06-2012, 02:48 AM
most likely in glovepie, all your problems solved. the same script as above with some minor modification to the trigger. first, you would need to identify what slot your rudder pedals sits in by looking at windows\control panel\settings\game controller, verses your other connected game controllers (e.g., your joystick). then you need to identify what axis your toe axis is using (e.g., x,y,z,roll...etc.). then you need to test to see how glovepie sees it through trial and error (e.g. joystick3.y). once you have it identified, then the trigger would not be pov degrees, as per a hat switch, but the end range on the axis. most likely -1 and 1. you could even have glovepie talk back to you and say, "zooming is so much fun". I'm not kidding. It's possible.:-P

jayrc
11-06-2012, 06:19 AM
in game controls I have right mouse as hold to change fov, make sure you don't have anything else assigned to that joystick button

Sokol1
11-06-2012, 10:15 PM
Thank you.

I could make it work. But find Zoom exaggerated. Anyway good to check compass. :)

With two keys - Zoom In and Zoom Out - Out goes so far (http://tinyurl.com/a5r26p2) that distorts cockpit graphics.

Good to work with JoyToKey is the possibility to ALT+TAB and make adjustments without leaving the game.

Sokol1

Maler
11-06-2012, 10:32 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GHzAD5NZRQ

Varrattu
11-13-2012, 03:23 PM
http://forum.sturmovik.de/index.php/topic,1299.msg28663.html#msg28663

Sokol1
11-14-2012, 01:30 AM
Using Joy2key, combining "Hold to adjust FOV" and "Hold to Zoom Camera" (this in fact zoom only inside cockpit, little).

http://i49.tinypic.com/2mmwv1s.jpg

And mouse still usable (point and click).

http://i46.tinypic.com/dp8en5.jpg
http://i46.tinypic.com/534d2v.jpg

Sokol1

SharpeXB
12-02-2012, 08:03 PM
So it looks like JoyToKey could work, if you set it to simultaniously map the Hold To Adjust FOV and Mouse down on a single axis

The trouble I encounter is:
Installing JoyToKey, it just dissapeared from my machine after I bought it.
It doesn't appear under programs on the control panel or have a short cut

How would JTK not screw up all your other game axis?
Are there profiles? Do you have to have it running when using CloD?

Sokol1
12-02-2012, 09:19 PM
SharpeXB

JoyToKey dont install in Windows - just need extract files to any folder (I use My documents\1c Soft Club) and if desire make a shortcut to desktop.

They dont touch joystick axis unless you program the for act as button.
In default mode JoyToKey see only X and Y axis, to see more go to Otpins and select
"Show All axis (8 way + POV x 2)"

To creat profiles open JoyToKey> File > name/rename as you wish.
You can creat how many you need, ie one for 109, one for Spit...

Some things about JoyToKey:

-easy to setup GUI
-low memory usage (2.740k)
-if sim support alt+TAB JoyToKey - like CloD - can be started after run sim and configured/reconfigurated "in game"
-support up to 3 keys peer button
-support press, hold, repeat
-distinguish right/left CTRL/SHIFT/ALT
-allow use axis as button or divide axis in three bands
-"Shift" function

IMO - The only feature that JoyToKey lack is "mapped key on press" and "mapped key on released" usefull to map CloD Bf-109 "Lean to gunsight" to work only when button is hold.

Sokol1

SharpeXB
12-02-2012, 10:44 PM
Ok I see where it saved. It's not a "program" I guess
I don't see how if the mouse is used for both the zoom and cockpit at the same time how it will work.
I want to assign the toe axis on my rudder pedal and be able to zoom in at the same time as using the clickable cockpit

Bearcat
01-12-2013, 01:20 AM
There's the End and Del keys which change your FOV but not an axis for zoom?
That's a very useful command which should be added if there isn't one.

I was going to post this but I saw t6his thread..

The game should have the following commands:
Zoom In
Zoom Out
Hold to Zoom
Zoom Axis

I agree.. at least Zoom In and Zoom Out

I agree.. and I have a HOTAS set up using two sticks.. so both hands are occupied.. the last thing I need to be doing is takng my hands off of either one to try to zoom..

Zoom is needed to make up for the lack of resolution on a PC screen compared to real life. If your eyesight was as bad as 1080p you would have a very short career as a fighter pilot. In a PC game you need the zoom just to be able to see your own cockpit.
All flight sim games have a zoom feature. CloD has one as well it's just terribly and awkwardly handled. I can't imagine why it is so badly done in this game.
It's not an excuse to say zoom isn't realistic. The game has the feature but why it requires two commands at once and why it's not mappable is a total mystery.
DCS and RoF are much better and more realistic simulators and they don't see the need to make the game more real by forcing the zoom feature to be awkwardly unusable.

I agree 100% .. and I am really surprised at this.. I was looking all over the controls section for this key and couldn't find it.. To have to go through more machinations other than just programming the stick is .. very surprising.. Even IL2 had zoom. I will try to see if I can work past that but I need zoom..

Roblex
01-12-2013, 07:06 AM
I used JoyToKey to put variable Zoom on the hat key. It only takes 1-2 minutes to set up and despite what some people are saying you don't have to press two buttons at the same time. I press the hat forward to zoom in and pull it back to zoom out; no other keys involved.

Simply tell JoyToKey that UpHat is full back on the mouse and DownHat is full forward on the mouse then go into the settings for CLOD and tell it that both UpHat & DownHat are the 'Hold to Zoom' key and it all works.

Bearcat
01-12-2013, 07:19 AM
I will try that ... I wonder if I can just use the Saitek SW that comes with my X-52.Thanks!