PDA

View Full Version : MS FFB 2 joystick

Bloblast
11-02-2011, 10:06 PM
Since the game came out I played on Saitek aviator, but lately I got the dust of my Microsoft FFB 2 and found out that this is some much better to fly with. More control, better feeling of how much energy you have and the aiming is so much better. Shaking when canon shells are fired, I really missed that. Force feedback is for me nr 1 choice, it's an extra dimension to the game. I've set the sensitivity under controls on 1 to get the max. feeling. I played with MS FFB 1 and 2 on the original the original IL-2 for the last 10 years and will keep on doing this on CoD.

ATAG_Snapper
11-02-2011, 10:52 PM
Since the game came out I played on Saitek aviator, but lately I got the dust of my Microsoft FFB 2 and found out that this is some much better to fly with. More control, better feeling of how much energy you have and the aiming is so much better. Shaking when canon shells are fired, I really missed that. Force feedback is for me nr 1 choice, it's an extra dimension to the game. I've set the sensitivity under controls on 1 to get the max. feeling. I played with MS FFB 1 and 2 on the original the original IL-2 for the last 10 years and will keep on doing this on CoD.

+1

Actually, I switched out my Sidewinder for awhile in favour of the excellent Thrustmaster TM16000 stick with Halls sensors. However, I found that I missed the force feedback effects and plugged the FFSB2 back in. I would recommend the inexpensive TM stick to anyone, I've come to prefer "the force"! :D

335th_GRAthos
11-03-2011, 06:17 AM
+1 :)

~s~

rfxcasey
11-03-2011, 06:59 AM
Have to be honest with you guys. I was hardcore on the MSFF2 for a while in IL-2 and while it is an awesome joystick it wasn't that great for Rise of Flight. So for ROF I pulled out my CH stick. Well I was going from ROF to IL-2 one day and thought I'd just use the CH for the hell of it and forgot the usual switch out to my MSFF2. I've not looked back since. The CH stick is just so smooth and silky in comparison. The MSFF2 was always a bit twitchy no matter how I had my profile set. When pulling my sight onto a target the MSFF2 always had a little tendency to be bouncy as in I'd always have a little trouble getting it to flatline on the target. Its very subtle but noticeable. With the CH you can roll onto a target and just stop the crosshairs dead by simply relaxing some stick pressure. It didn't even take much getting used to at all and I didn't even have to change my profile.

lensman1945
11-03-2011, 07:23 AM

+1 too

The change in pressure due too air speed makes it a winner for me.

Bloblast
11-03-2011, 09:48 AM
Have to be honest with you guys. I was hardcore on the MSFF2 for a while in IL-2 and while it is an awesome joystick it wasn't that great for Rise of Flight. So for ROF I pulled out my CH stick. Well I was going from ROF to IL-2 one day and thought I'd just use the CH for the hell of it and forgot the usual switch out to my MSFF2. I've not looked back since. The CH stick is just so smooth and silky in comparison. The MSFF2 was always a bit twitchy no matter how I had my profile set. When pulling my sight onto a target the MSFF2 always had a little tendency to be bouncy as in I'd always have a little trouble getting it to flatline on the target. Its very subtle but noticeable. With the CH you can roll onto a target and just stop the crosshairs dead by simply relaxing some stick pressure. It didn't even take much getting used to at all and I didn't even have to change my profile.

I agree in ROF and initially I did not like in IL-2 COD, FFB fell away regurlarly. But now it works fine in IL-2 COD. There is not driver support for Windows Vista and 7 but you can set the sensitivity in the game itself. With FFB you can feel the energy of the aircraft not having to watch speed indicator all the time. Pity that there are not much FFB sticks on the market now.

Whiski
11-03-2011, 11:53 AM
+1

I had a MSFFB2, the motor stopped working. It was the best stick I had ever used for precision and the feel of air speed was second to none.

I miss that stick. I now have the CH t hotas, its does the job.

Whiskey

Bloblast
11-03-2011, 11:56 AM
+1

I had a MSFFB2, the motor stopped working. It was the best stick I had ever used for precision and the feel of air speed was second to none.

I miss that stick. I now have the CH t hotas, its does the job.

Whiskey

Does CH have FFB products ? Could not find any. I only found Logitech FFB.

Whiski
11-03-2011, 12:59 PM
CH does not have FFB flight sticks that I am aware of. The Logitech G940 is supposed to be a good flight system, a tad expensive.

I have heard good things about it, there are several posts on this forum about it.

Whiskey

rfxcasey
11-03-2011, 04:24 PM
The Logitech system had a couple if pretty major issues last time I checked. I think thy might have fixed these with firmware updates by now but I would definitely check into it before shelling out 300 bucks.

I agree that the energy state feedback of the MSFF2 was nice, especially with the Mustangs in IL-2 which had a tenancy to snap stall if you over input however, if you fly the sim or plane enough you kinda just know your energy state and the sim gives audio and visual cues before you stall which you react to instinctively after a while.

All I'm saying is that for me, and I have played a LOT of IL-2 with my MSFF2, the CH made me move effective and I just feel more in control and connected to my aircraft when using it now. Everyone has their preference and what works for you just works. I would recommend spending some time with the CH though as it just might surprise you.

T}{OR
11-03-2011, 07:38 PM
+1 for everything the OP said, except the lack of force feedback strength settings in game. The stock settings are just too powerful and in 109's I need to fight my stick when in a dive. Way too powerful and wears down my old FF2 motors.

In the previous patch custom FF files worked for me. Not any more. Every single one I tried gives me a wobbly stick.

A real shame since the game is now running more or less ok (with thanks to fruitbat's settings).

Bonkin
11-03-2011, 07:46 PM
Love my MSFFB2 stick. Personally don't think I could fly without it - it all adds to the experience.