PDA

View Full Version : Difficult engine starts

smurf-oly
10-30-2011, 02:54 AM
I find that I cannot start Spitfires or Hurricanes if I have both Complex Engine Management and Engine Temperature Effects on. The engine will catch, sputter briefly (1 or 2 seconds) and die. I haven't tried other aircraft.

If I turn ETE off (and leave CEM on), engines will start without problem. I have played interminably with the radiator, fuel mixture, pitch and throttle settings, but if I have ETE on I have no success.

I have reviewed YouTube videos on how to do startups and the checklists posted by Flea and am reproducing the protocols faithfully (i.e. open fuel cock, turn on both magnetos, open radiator, adjust throttle to about 25%, fuel mix at rich, prop at fine). However, with ETE on, I get no starting... with ETE off engines start immediately.

I've cleared my cache, deleted my 1C SoftClub folder in my documents and forced it to be rebuilt, and verified my game files through steam. I've also searched through this forum and through airwarfare.com for any enlightening info but have had no luck.

I give up... but since most online servers appear to be full realism, I would like to figure this out. Any useful feedback would be appreciated.

CaptainDoggles
10-30-2011, 02:18 AM
Try spawning at a different base/using a different mission.

Plt Off JRB Meaker
10-30-2011, 07:10 AM
Are you waiting for the engine oil temps to warm up,this is vital mate,the tempsl MUST reach 30c before you can really open her up.Keep checking and wait for them to do so.

This will mean a small wait for the temps to come up to this heat,at about 25c the engine will catch and sound different this is the key,and at 30c you're be ready to open her up and get going.

I would wager this is you're problem;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4YPOH5341M

Warhound
10-30-2011, 07:26 AM
Throttle at 25% sounds way too high to me..I use somewhere between 6-13% with a cold engine and it starts every time. Once the engine is at operating temps it will start at higher throttle seting too, which is probably why it works fine with temp effects off.

Sokol1
10-30-2011, 11:07 AM
Is easy - CEM and ETE on - only need:

Fuel cock on
Throttle ~10%
Igniton
Radiator open

Advance throttle slow (5 in 5%) until engine warmup.

Fly

Some "click, click" procedure in YT videos worth only for good show in movies.
;)

Sokol1

ATAG_Snapper
10-30-2011, 12:55 PM
I haven't watched that video since Flea posted it just when we were all getting started! Brings back fond memories as we were all trying to figure how CEM/ETE worked with the original CoD release. :). I have to say, Flea's tutorial videos were a godsend in the absence of any really practical instruction manuals from 1C -- the .pdf manual attached to CoD was sadly lacking in this regard. Many of us appreciate the time, effort, and generousity he provided in postings these vids.

Now I think of how many emergency take-offs we've done online from Hawkinge with 109's & 110's strafing the airfield while He 111's/Ju 88's/Do 217's are dropping their bombloads overhead.........not much time for monitoring gauges and fiddling with controls on the take off run! We've all developed our own little shortcuts to get fired up and into the air as quickly as possible without frying our Merlins or getting riddled with 20 mm!

smurf-oly
10-30-2011, 03:23 PM
Thanks to all for the feedback... Warhound and Sokol1 really pointed me at the problem. I was setting the throttle to 25% and apparently flooding the engine. I'm getting immediate starts at 10% throttle and no other changes to my start routine... thanks for the help!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZ2AuOC8BVU

smurf-oly
10-30-2011, 04:17 PM
Thanks to all for the feedback... Warhound and Sokol1 really pointed me at the problem. I was setting the throttle to 25% and apparently flooding the engine. I'm getting immediate starts at 10% throttle and no other changes to my start routine... thanks for the help!

Just curiosity Plt_Off_JRB_Meaker... how did you get the YouTube video link embedded with that format (centered, with border and link header)?

xZ2AuOC8BVU

Plt Off JRB Meaker
10-30-2011, 05:43 PM
Hi mate,yeah,just copied and pasted the URL.:-)

smurf-oly
10-30-2011, 08:48 PM
Thnaks.... that is nice!