PDA

View Full Version : What do you drive?

drewpee
10-18-2011, 03:39 AM
For me OLD SCOOL is my passion( cars and planes). New cars loose their appeal to quickly. As soon as a new model comes out that's the one to have. Trouble is every body else seems to be driving one just like it. Seams more about how much money you have rather than the passion for the art that is cars.

Sorry I'm ranting again. Any how here's what I drive. It's a 1972 GTS Monaro from GM Holden Co, Australia. I've owed it for about 20years. It cost me about the same as some would spend on a new TV. It was pretty run down after 40+ years of hard yakka. I now every nut and bolt, taught myself to weld and paint. I even retro fitted a more eco/wallet friendly all alloy quad cam V8 into her beautiful engine bay.

It's way to noisy and has a bad habit of kicking her ass out of line when I push the noise pedal to enthusiastically, or the stop pedal to hard. The kids used to complain that it smells but now they're in there teens they would rather I pick them up in my old GTS Monaro than the looser cruiser(Chrysler 7-seater van).

Herbs107
10-18-2011, 04:56 AM
Nice job on the Monaro, good to see in pic 3 that child labour is still strong and kicking in Aus:). I once had a HQ Belmont Panel Van with a chevy 327 under the hood. But sadly now i drive a Nissan 200SX S15 rice burner, its a little worked and puts 191 Kw down at the rear wheels.

JG52Uther
10-18-2011, 05:46 AM
Living in the UK I'm happy to say that I drive a Renault that does over 50 MPG!

Trooper117
10-18-2011, 08:11 AM
Saab 93 turbo, convertable.. in a gorgeous metalic blue with cream leather seats, carbon dash.. it's my baby and I love it, lol!

drewpee
10-18-2011, 12:17 PM

50 MPG, mate your living the dream.;)
I must say that if it has wings, wheels or boobs, I like it.:grin:

jojovtx
10-18-2011, 12:35 PM

Im sorry. Just kidding as to each their own I saw. I prefer a go pedal to a yawn pedal. But being married I don't get much say so anymore. So after a series of 5 Mustangs over 14 years of driving I now own:

2008 Chevrolet Tahoe LTZ White Diamond Edition - hers
2007 Chevrolet Trailblazer LT - was hers
2005 Honda VTX 1300R - mine

four wheels to move the body, two wheels to move the soul

drewpee
10-18-2011, 12:45 PM
Nice job on the Monaro, good to see in pic 3 that child labour is still strong and kicking in Aus:). I once had a HQ Belmont Panel Van with a chevy 327 under the hood. But sadly now i drive a Nissan 200SX S15 rice burner, its a little worked and puts 191 Kw down at the rear wheels.

I've had more than a bit of fun in the back of a good old Assie shaggin waggin.

Ze-Jamz
10-18-2011, 12:51 PM
My missus up the bend

Richie
10-18-2011, 04:20 PM
69 Dart 340

drewpee
10-19-2011, 12:30 AM
69 Dart 340

Now that's old scool. Details please:grin:

mustang137
10-19-2011, 12:57 AM
2010 Holden Cruze CDX Diesel.

SEE
10-19-2011, 01:40 AM
VW T3 LPG powered campervan...my second home, probably be my main home if I carry on paying more attention to CloD than the good lady. Also have a 1971 850 Mini and a 91 Mazda MX5, so yep, I like old motors too!

ElAurens
10-19-2011, 01:49 AM
Daily driver is a 2003 Honda Civic SI Hatch, made by Honda UK.

My oldest baby is a 1960 Triumph TR3, equipped with a pair of 40 DCOE Weber carbs, tuned headers, mildly ported head, 2.2 litre pistons, 15X6 Revolution wheels, and overdrive.

For less than four wheeled transport I have a 2003 Triumph Bonneville.

Yup, I'm a Yank that loves his British vehicles.

ATAG_Dutch
10-19-2011, 01:59 AM
Also have a 91 Mazda MX5, so yep, I like old motors too!

No!!

Mine's a '92.

SEE
10-19-2011, 02:21 AM
No!!

Mine's a '92.

Nice alloys there Dutch and Green too (with Tan interior?). I so wanted that combination! Only trouble with owning an MX5 is everyone calls me a 'ladies hairdresser'......:grin:

Nice choice Elaurens, a TR3!

ElAurens
10-19-2011, 02:29 AM
Been driving it for 30 years now...

Trooper117
10-19-2011, 08:48 AM
When not in the car.. This!

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y89/TROOPER117/THEMACHINE.jpg

drewpee
10-19-2011, 08:53 AM
VW T3 LPG powered campervan...my second home, probably be my main home if I carry on paying more attention to CloD than the good lady. Also have a 1971 850 Mini and a 91 Mazda MX5, so yep, I like old motors too!

LOL, good to have a backup plan(a van as a dog house). I had a Mini a few years back. It was pink and had a number 5 on the doors(how I brought not as choice). I used to drive it to work(a mineral sands processing plant). Real butch hey? I always wanted a British Racing Green MX5 but being over 6 foot I'd look like a giraffe on a skateboard.
Check out http://www.bulletcars.com .They have been playing with the little Mazda roadster for years.

JG52Uther
10-19-2011, 09:35 AM
Im sorry. Just kidding as to each their own I saw. I prefer a go pedal to a yawn pedal. But being married I don't get much say so anymore. So after a series of 5 Mustangs over 14 years of driving I now own:

2008 Chevrolet Tahoe LTZ White Diamond Edition - hers
2007 Chevrolet Trailblazer LT - was hers
2005 Honda VTX 1300R - mine

four wheels to move the body, two wheels to move the soul

When you are paying the equivalent of $10 a gallon having a car that does 50 mpg, with the ability to carry 7 people is nothing to be sorry about ;)
A car for me has always just been something to carry kids around in, and get the shopping, nothing exciting about them at all, especially in the UK where I spend most of my car time sitting in a traffic jam or driving around at 40 mph...

Richie
10-19-2011, 12:01 PM
Now that's old scool. Details please:grin:

The engines out of it now getting rebuilt. It's got the big 8/3 rearend with 3.23 gears ralley wheels with all the centre caps and rings now...not in that picture. The kid who had this car before me went and took the stock split bench seats out and put some old ratty mustang seats in EEEWW !!! FORD!! So I had to hunt around and find some proper seats. Finally found some on ebay. They'll get fixed and put in the car. The seats cost $130 and $250 to get up here lol. I don't know what I'm going to do to the engine yet but it will have about 420 hp. Not too crazy just enough to keep up to this new stuff. You wouldn't believe it but this Dart is almost 1000 pounds lighter than a new Challenger so it should be able to keep up to one of those and sound 1000% tougher

Not mine but it will sound like this one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEsvwrvplAM

ATAG_Dutch
10-19-2011, 12:36 PM
I always wanted a British Racing Green MX5 but being over 6 foot I'd look like a giraffe on a skateboard.

Yeah, I'm dead on 6 foot and sometimes wish the top rail of the screen was a tad higher, but if you recline the seat a way it's ok.;)

Nice alloys there Dutch and Green too (with Tan interior?). I so wanted that combination! Only trouble with owning an MX5 is everyone calls me a 'ladies hairdresser'......:grin:

It was an original 'V-Spec' with tan interior but this was replaced with a black interior when the tan one wore out. The wheels are the original factory BBS 'optional extra' fitted with Pirelli P-6000s.

It also has strut braces, cold air induction, a cat bypass pipe (except when it's MOT time!!) and a stainless sports exhaust. My elbows still hurt from winding the springs down when I replaced the suspension last year aswell.:rolleyes: I also replaced the hood with a acrylic 'mohair' hood with heated screen.

All in all It costs me almost as much as a new car to keep it in fine fettle, but I'll never sell it.

And anyone who calls these cars 'hairdressers cars' has never thrown one down a nice country A-Road with the a*se end sliding out of the bends!:grin:

Oh and i have a tin box made by Ford for the rest of the week.;)

Richie
10-19-2011, 01:03 PM
Hey I like lots of Fords and GMs it's just that I'm a Mopar fanatic :)

One nasty thing I will say about Mopars. Some of them have got to have the Butt Ugliest interiors ever thought off. I've seen bright red stripes light, blue plaids etc... just the ugliest stuff you could imagine. Have you ever seen the inside of a Hang 10 Dart Sport...Please don't! I don't know what they were smoking over at Chrysler in the 70s in the interior department but it must have been some heavy sh#t. GMs and Fords have always had nice interiors. I really like 66 67 Fairlanes 66 67 Chevelles 66 to 72 Novas. Not a big Comaro fan. Would much rather have a Nova. Much more of a street machine racer. Not a Mustang fan at all. Very nice looking but they are way over exposed and made into this ultimate super car image and they are not by any means. I'm taking the older Mustangs. They should have had Steve Mc Queen driving a Hemi Super Bee LOLOL.

drewpee
10-19-2011, 01:19 PM
My brother in law is involved with a car club that does time trials around a short course,rally stile. A couple of years ago he got himself one of the new generation Subaru STI something something from the factory in Japan(I think his was one of the first in OZ) It had all the go fast rally gear on it. Cost him an arm and a leg but he's very competitive(my wife said never play ATARI with him). Any how it turns out the fastest car around the circuit is ,you guest it a 20 something year old MX5 with a turbo and some suspension work(the car cost less than a new small car). I had to laugh when he told me. :-P

swiss
10-19-2011, 01:32 PM
Are you sure your rear brakes are adjusted correctly?

ATAG_Dutch
10-19-2011, 01:52 PM

Sliding on the way out of the bends mate, all quite deliberate and controlled. Post fixed. ;)

ATAG_Dutch
10-19-2011, 02:14 PM
My brother in law is involved with a car club that does time trials around a short course,rally stile. A couple of years ago he got himself one of the new generation Subaru STI something something from the factory in Japan. Any how it turns out the fastest car around the circuit is ,you guest it a 20 something year old MX5 with a turbo and some suspension work.

That reminds me of the time 'Top Gear' tested a Bugatti Veyron against a Caterham fitted with a Ford Focus engine. Have a guess which had the best lap time?!;)

swiss
10-19-2011, 02:18 PM
Sliding on the way out of the bends mate, all quite deliberate and controlled. Post fixed. ;)

It was addressed to drewpee

bad habit of kicking her ass out of line when I push ... the stop pedal to hard.

ATAG_Dutch
10-19-2011, 02:22 PM
It was addressed to drewpee

Ah, then perhaps you should have made that clearer.:-P

skouras
10-19-2011, 02:52 PM
Exactly the same with the same modifications

by the way
i,ve got a crash last week [good news i didn't have a single scratch]
2.500 euros damn
anyway i give it to the mechanic to fix it... lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3eLZ_nZjJQ&feature=related

drewpee
10-19-2011, 03:52 PM

1974/5 HQ and HJ Monaro's had disc front ends and drums on the back. The drums after you set them up are self adjusting. The rear end had coil springs for better ride and if you hit the brake hard enough the rears would unload then lock up. Just part of the fun when driving a early 70s muscle car:grin:. The engineers set the suspension up for safety. Going hard into a corner the H series suffered understeer to make you back off into the corners and I guess with the roads of the time (many were gravel) you are better of keeping some sort of control with the rears locking first.

Vengeanze
10-19-2011, 03:59 PM
No problems parking in the town. :-D

http://www.instablogsimages.com/images/2009/01/24/fiat-500-chrysler-dealerships_ZjltE_5965.jpg

Welshman
10-19-2011, 05:43 PM
daily driver is a jag S-Type diesel 2.7 twin turbo smoothness and 50 mpg :)

also have a yellow celica gt4 with 330hp lol but this is getting broken down for parts as im building a WRC corolla copy .

used to have a 400hp gt4 before that did a 12.23 1/4 mile and 0-60 in 3.6 seconds :)

drewpee
10-21-2011, 01:05 PM
When not in the car.. This!

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y89/TROOPER117/THEMACHINE.jpg

Nice bike. I've had a couple last being a Ducati ST2. But I had a habit of speeding and I'm not a good rider. I have to think about the kids. Selling the Duke helped pay for the Monaro rebuild and I only lost 2g for 3 years of riding.
That's the another good thing about old iron is it goes up in value(so tell your wife's its a investment;))

PeterPanPan
10-21-2011, 03:56 PM
Vauxhall Zafira. Hmmmm, sooooo flighter pilot!!

PPP

KG26_Alpha
10-21-2011, 04:15 PM
My 270bhp Alfa Romeo 2.4 JTD

@50mpg Touring ............................... and a lot less when giving it an Italian tune up :)

Click the pic n zoom :)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v119/alpha1/Cars/th_DSCN0039.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v119/alpha1/Cars/?action=view&current=DSCN0039.jpg)

Vengeanze
10-21-2011, 04:48 PM
My 270bhp Alfa Romeo 2.4 JTD

@50mpg Touring ............................... and a lot less when giving it an Italian tune up :)

Click the pic n zoom :)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v119/alpha1/Cars/th_DSCN0039.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v119/alpha1/Cars/?action=view&current=DSCN0039.jpg)
Lovely. My previous car was a black 156 2.0 JTS with the new front grille.
Loved it.
I soo want a 159 sedan (or a Maserati if I win the lottery).

drewpee
10-21-2011, 04:51 PM
Maserati,mmm. Yes please.:cool:

Vengeanze
10-21-2011, 04:58 PM
Maserati,mmm. Yes please.:cool:

Sad thing is that deep down I know there are two things I will never be able to do - own a Maserati Quarto Porte or shag Jessica Alba. :-(

simace
10-21-2011, 05:09 PM
'99 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR4 (#26 of only 248 made)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yuyUHrX-07M

baronWastelan
10-22-2011, 05:26 AM
Not gonna tell what I drive, but speaking of cars, don't ya just hate it when you go all the way to the end of the car park to get the end spot, and some jerk comes and parks his huge POS up close to yours??

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d63/baronWastelan/993-park.jpg

ElAurens
10-22-2011, 02:45 PM
Yup.

Happens with my TR3 all the time, and that old crock is narrow!

The great unwashed masses are drawn like moths to a flame by cool cars.

:grin:

Skoshi Tiger
10-22-2011, 03:08 PM
http://i1042.photobucket.com/albums/b423/Skoshi_Tiger/charger.jpg

Shes got a 265ci Hemi motor with an e49 cam (465 holly carbies - need tripple webbers!), 4 on the floor.

Cheers!

Welshman
10-22-2011, 03:20 PM
one my cars at ten of the best 4

scanned picture from japanase performance mag ..

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.4576357526.5013.506722526&type=3#!/photo.php?fbid=4858887526&set=a.4576357526.5013.506722526&type=3&theater

go back in the album to see others

drewpee
10-23-2011, 06:25 AM
Sweet Charger Skoshi. Do you still have her? When I sold my first Monaro for a more practical car (for getting to the good surfing spots) I regretted it. Know when people say I wish I had an old car like that , I say just find a cheapy and put it in your shed until you can spend time with it. Trouble is clasic cars are being melted down for scrap. Once they're gone they're gone. :confused:

Skoshi Tiger
10-23-2011, 07:02 AM
Sweet Charger Skoshi. Do you still have her? When I sold my first Monaro for a more practical car (for getting to the good surfing spots) I regretted it. Know when people say I wish I had an old car like that , I say just find a cheapy and put it in your shed until you can spend time with it. Trouble is clasic cars are being melted down for scrap. Once they're gone they're gone. :confused:

Still got her, unfortunately need money to get the typical Valiant rust removed and some paint, still I love her!

Cheers

drewpee
10-23-2011, 07:26 AM
Good to hear mate. Just remember the "but it's a good investment love" excuse when asking the wife for funds.:grin:

mazex
10-23-2011, 07:57 AM
An image of my driveway a while back. I found no other image showing both one of my cars and one of my younger brothers cars. Unfortunately the Audi is mine ;) Even though I have a new one now it still costs a tenth or so of the Carrera GT ;) He has a bunch of other super cars and a Porsche 918 on order that will be fun to drive too...

No I actually don't envy him all the time ;) It's nice to be able to borrow one of his monster cars for a couple of days and realize you start to get bored with it and don't care to floor it every red light - and you don't have to pay for it... I helped picking up one of his Ferraris from service once and payed the bill for it. Still shudders when I think of it :)

http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/2417/a6cgt.jpg

skouras
10-23-2011, 08:02 AM
http://i1042.photobucket.com/albums/b423/Skoshi_Tiger/charger.jpg

Shes got a 265ci Hemi motor with an e49 cam (465 holly carbies - need tripple webbers!), 4 on the floor.

Cheers!

now thats a car
Tiger:grin:

baronWastelan
10-23-2011, 06:59 PM
An image of my driveway a while back. I found no other image showing both one of my cars and one of my younger brothers cars. Unfortunately the Audi is mine ;) Even though I have a new one now it still costs a tenth or so of the Carrera GT ;) He has a bunch of other super cars and a Porsche 918 on order that will be fun to drive too...

No I actually don't envy him all the time ;) It's nice to be able to borrow one of his monster cars for a couple of days and realize you start to get bored with it and don't care to floor it every red light - and you don't have to pay for it... I helped picking up one of his Ferraris from service once and payed the bill for it. Still shudders when I think of it :)

[IMG]http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/2417/a6cgt.jpg/IMG]

I'm embarrassed by the unwanted attention occasionally received when parking my poverty-spec Carrera 993 -- can hardly imagine what it'd be like to pull up to Del Taco in a Carrera GT. I would have to limit my driving to between 4am - 6am!

I hope you post your driving impressions of the 918. Can it measure up to it's race car looks?

mazex
10-23-2011, 07:57 PM
I'm embarrassed by the unwanted attention occasionally received when parking my poverty-spec Carrera 993 -- can hardly imagine what it'd be like to pull up to Del Taco in a Carrera GT. I would have to limit my driving to between 4am - 6am!

I hope you post your driving impressions of the 918. Can it measure up to it's race car looks?

He he, the funny thing is that the Carrera GT actually draws a lot less attention on the street compared to borrowing his old red Ferrari 430... Everyone looks at the Ferrari (which is actually a rather cheap mass produced "standard" car in comparison). Old women smile, kids point etc. The GT on the other hand draws a completely different attention from the real connaiseurs, you never see someone running desperate with an iPhone to get the acceleration sound in the 430 but you sure get that in the GT. "Normal" people don't realize what a unique car it is. I was cruising in it a summer day with the carbon fibre roof plates off and two girls on motor cycles stopped behind be at a red light. I heard one of them say to the other: "No, that can't be a real Porsche - it must be some darn home built car". I gave them a burst of the V10 with straight pipes to silence that talk :)

He also had a black Ferrari 458 recently and that was almost the same way, the old red 430 got more attention as it's "THE standard Ferrari" that everyone recognize. He still has the 430 and I borrowed it for a nephews graduation party to drive him with some class (he loved the ways the girls in his class looked when I pulled up and delivered him to the party). I told the parents that I unfortunately could not borrow the Carrera GT as it was on service, or his black Aston Martin DBS as he had lent that to some other friend (being extremely generous with letting people borrow his cars). The parents both looked weird at me and wondered why that should have been better than a red Ferrari... Sigh... ;)

Regarding the 918 it will not arrive until a year or so. He had to pay up a sign fee of $150.000 though and got a good looking T-shirt with a 918 logo, a cap and a book about it ;) He also got an offer to buy a special edition 911 Turbo (918 edition with the serial number of the 918 on the panel). He bought that just to sell it on and unfortunately I did not get the time to try it before that, he was rather surprised about how nice it was actually...

Rattlehead
10-26-2011, 10:52 AM
He he, the funny thing is that the Carrera GT actually draws a lot less attention on the street compared to borrowing his old red Ferrari 430... Everyone looks at the Ferrari (which is actually a rather cheap mass produced "standard" car in comparison). Old women smile, kids point etc. The GT on the other hand draws a completely different attention from the real connaiseurs, you never see someone running desperate with an iPhone to get the acceleration sound in the 430 but you sure get that in the GT. "Normal" people don't realize what a unique car it is.

Anyone with half a brain would pick the GT over the 430, or pretty much any Ferrari. :) (Maybe not the F40, close call that.)

Tell your brother I'm extremely envious.

I must say I'm quite impressed with the cars shown so far. I expected more run-of-the-mill stuff, like my car.
(BMW E46 320i)
It has the Sportspack and a stage 1 conversion, but it's still pretty much just an A-B communter, unfortunately. But I'll definitely buy another Bimmer when I'm done with this one. I'm very satisfied with it.

Sternjaeger II
10-26-2011, 12:28 PM
He he, the funny thing is that the Carrera GT actually draws a lot less attention on the street compared to borrowing his old red Ferrari 430... Everyone looks at the Ferrari (which is actually a rather cheap mass produced "standard" car in comparison). Old women smile, kids point etc. The GT on the other hand draws a completely different attention from the real connaiseurs, you never see someone running desperate with an iPhone to get the acceleration sound in the 430 but you sure get that in the GT. "Normal" people don't realize what a unique car it is. I was cruising in it a summer day with the carbon fibre roof plates off and two girls on motor cycles stopped behind be at a red light. I heard one of them say to the other: "No, that can't be a real Porsche - it must be some darn home built car". I gave them a burst of the V10 with straight pipes to silence that talk :)

He also had a black Ferrari 458 recently and that was almost the same way, the old red 430 got more attention as it's "THE standard Ferrari" that everyone recognize. He still has the 430 and I borrowed it for a nephews graduation party to drive him with some class (he loved the ways the girls in his class looked when I pulled up and delivered him to the party). I told the parents that I unfortunately could not borrow the Carrera GT as it was on service, or his black Aston Martin DBS as he had lent that to some other friend (being extremely generous with letting people borrow his cars). The parents both looked weird at me and wondered why that should have been better than a red Ferrari... Sigh... ;)

Regarding the 918 it will not arrive until a year or so. He had to pay up a sign fee of $150.000 though and got a good looking T-shirt with a 918 logo, a cap and a book about it ;) He also got an offer to buy a special edition 911 Turbo (918 edition with the serial number of the 918 on the panel). He bought that just to sell it on and unfortunately I did not get the time to try it before that, he was rather surprised about how nice it was actually...

Pardon the frankness man, but is your brother a drug dealer?! ;)

Joking aside, you should try and drag him into the world of aviation, you might find yourself flying a vintage plane in no time! ;)

baronWastelan
10-31-2011, 07:32 PM
Guess who's baby got new shoes this morning? 101,000 miles on the clock. She'll clean up nicely when I get some time later this week. BTW this is as quiet as they get: stock, regular exhaust, but the wide oval exhaust outlets give a bit of a "megaphone" effect.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0eevuoAf8U

TomcatViP
10-31-2011, 08:17 PM
What a nice babe. Make me crying :!:

I hope you are using Michelin's tires. A little less performing but they last MUuuuCH longer ;)

When I was driving with Pirelly's (the best one on the market IMHO) I used to hve a fine (huge - thx France) per year (sleek tires ). What a shame! (but still cld turn half a roundabt nearly at 100kph !! :grin: - sry )

CharveL
11-04-2011, 01:18 PM
I found the perfect vehicle for me, being a practical guy that likes a touch of style.

2006 Honda Ridgeline RTS

It carries anything I need in any situation while being a practical daily driver. Inside it's a luxury SUV with lots of space, dual climate control and the most clever arrangement for allowing carry space when needed. Yet it's not extravagantly fancy either.

Small Honda engine with as much power as I need when needed. I'm not a douchebag driver that thinks he needs 400 horsepower to get to work and back weaving between cars. I just need instant responsiveness and decent gas mileage. Plus it's a Honda motor and will last as long as I need it to.

Mostly I drive to work or around town but like to camp in the summer, haul my guitar gear to gigs, or pick up some drywall to work on the house. Yeah, it's a short box but I can fit 4x8 sheets on when needed. It has this awesome, huge, lockable storage underneath the truck bed floor which makes a great tailgate party cooler for a couple cases. The tailgate opens normal or sideways for easy access too.

Plus it drives more like a hovercraft than a truck. Better handling than most cars!

:cool: