PDA

View Full Version : Aren't the trim tabs reversed??

albx
10-15-2011, 05:30 PM
Looks like the trim tabs of aileron, elevator and rudder inverted??? (the animated movement, look from an external view) Aren't supposed to turn the same way i turn the trim? for example, the rudder trim, if I turn my trim all right the tab on the rudder turn left :confused:

tested on british planes and german also

Vengeanze
10-15-2011, 05:37 PM
Looks like the trim tabs of aileron, elevator and rudder inverted??? (the animated movement, look from an external view) Aren't supposed to turn the same way i turn the trim? for example, the rudder trim, if I turn my trim all right the tab on the rudder turn left :confused:

tested on british planes and german also

Wouldn't surprise me if they reversed it. Another example of the programmers lack of quality.

pupo162
10-15-2011, 05:45 PM
well, the correct effect would be:

pull the stick - evetor comes up.

pull the elevator trim tab - elevator trim tab goes down, which in flight forces the elevator tab up.

i havent noticed on the sim, but according to your description it seems to be correct.

Zorin
10-15-2011, 05:49 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/de/thumb/f/f5/Trimmruder.png/635px-Trimmruder.png

Maybe you should learn how stuff works before you complain?...

albx
10-15-2011, 05:51 PM
well, the correct effect would be:

pull the stick - evetor comes up.

pull the elevator trim tab - elevator trim tab goes down, which in flight forces the elevator tab up.

i havent noticed on the sim, but according to your description it seems to be correct.

so the trim tab movement is reversed of the surface? hhmmm... if it is this then is correct in the sim. I think you are right, it create the force to move the rudder/elevator/aileron. I looked at it in a different way, surface not moving and the trim tab generating the force, but I think now I'm wrong... :grin:

pupo162
10-15-2011, 05:52 PM
so the trim tab movement is reversed of the surface? hhmmm... if it is this then is correct in the sim. I think you are right, it create the force to move the rudder/elevator/aileron. I looked at it in a different way, surface not moving and the trim tab generating the force, but I think now I'm wrong... :grin:

i was amazed to find this little phisics thingy too, took me some hours to digest it. look at the picture above.

cheers

albx
10-15-2011, 05:52 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/de/thumb/f/f5/Trimmruder.png/635px-Trimmruder.png

Maybe before you write something IDIOT you should read what I wrote??? AM I COMPLAINING???? I made a simple question if it is not clear

A mod can delete this thread, it's solved, thank you.

raaaid
10-15-2011, 07:38 PM
could you make a trim tab move a bigger trim tab which moves an even bigger trim tab so in the end the wing is a huge trimtab?

beepee
10-15-2011, 08:37 PM

tested on british planes and german alsoyes I noticed on spit prop spins clockwise from cockpit -so therefore on tackeoff plane should drop left wing-not so in game drops right wing torque is reversed.when flying have to fly with left airleron on for level flight-which should be right airleron due to engine torque.on spit no airleron trim so right rudder was used to trim out

klem
10-15-2011, 08:50 PM

And maybe we should be a little more understanding when we try to help people who obviously don't undersand how something works?

Trooper117
10-15-2011, 09:32 PM
could you make a trim tab move a bigger trim tab which moves an even bigger trim tab so in the end the wing is a huge trimtab?

'Cough!'..

Zorin
10-15-2011, 11:29 PM
Maybe before you write something IDIOT you should read what I wrote??? AM I COMPLAINING???? I made a simple question if it is not clear

A mod can delete this thread, it's solved, thank you.

Then stop asking suggestive questions. Simple as that. Your questions undoubtly implied that the devs made a mistake and that is just improper if you yourself don't even know what is correct.

Oh and where did you pick up your manners? Just so I never visit that derelict place...

And maybe we should be a little more understanding when we try to help people who obviously don't undersand how something works?

Read above. There are many ways how to express one owns lack of knowledge without implicating the failure of others.

Skoshi Tiger
10-16-2011, 12:42 AM

Zorin, You can lead a horse to water but you can't make them think! ;)

Thanks for trying to be helpful!

speculum jockey
10-16-2011, 04:00 AM
This is easily the saddest forum full of whiny little manchildren I have every encountered.

10 year old Internet catch phrases. . . . . . . . . . .check!
Stupid played out image memes. . . . . . . . . . . . . check!
Getting really offended over simple mistakes. . . . . check!
Going crazy over the the tiniest missed details. . . . check!
Minimal grasp of English grammar and spelling. . . . . .check!

You guys need to get a life! It's one thing to play a game, and post on a forum about it, but it is totally another thing to sperg out and insult each other over the littlest mistakes and oversight. What would be even sadder is to look in the thread where everyone posted their pics and find out that you're actually grown men in your 40's instead of the 13 year olds you are acting like.

Play the game, post about it here, try not to turn this into a screaming match for autistic shut-ins.

albx
10-16-2011, 05:38 AM
Then stop asking suggestive questions. Simple as that. Your questions undoubtly implied that the devs made a mistake and that is just improper if you yourself don't even know what is correct.

Oh and where did you pick up your manners? Just so I never visit that derelict place...

Read above. There are many ways how to express one owns lack of knowledge without implicating the failure of others.

you are simply an idiot, because i made a question and you answered like "I know everything and you are a stupid"... I haven't said the devs made a mistake, I asked if the trim tabs are reversed or if this is how they work. If you are so dumb that can't read a simple question then this is not my problem but your.

albx
10-16-2011, 07:12 AM
Zorin, You can lead a horse to water but you can't make them think! ;)

Thanks for trying to be helpful!

who refers your sentence?

PeterPanPan
10-16-2011, 10:49 AM
Wouldn't surprise me if they reversed it. Another example of the programmers lack of quality.

Sorry mate, but very poor comment born out ignorance. As you now see, it is totally correct that trim tabs move counter intuitively. I know that because I have real world flying experience. You didn't know that, which is fine. But what is not fine is how you jumped to an accusative conclusion based on total ignorance. What you should have said is either nothing at all or perhaps asked someone else more knowledgeable on this forum to assist/explain etc.

PPP

Vengeanze
10-16-2011, 11:43 AM
Sorry mate, but very poor comment born out ignorance. As you now see, it is totally correct that trim tabs move counter intuitively. I know that because I have real world flying experience. You didn't know that, which is fine. But what is not fine is how you jumped to an accusative conclusion based on total ignorance. What you should have said is either nothing at all or perhaps asked someone else more knowledgeable on this forum to assist/explain etc.

PPP

I agree with you. However I must add that my comment had some content to it even though it didn't apply this time.

Btw, "real world flying experience" does nothing to me. What is that? I had some "real world flying experience" myself. You use it to give more weight to your argument. It didn't work nor will it ever do.
Knowledge about trim tabs can be acquired theoretically.
I'm curious to why some always like to pull this card in some discussions.
You seem like a knowledgeable guy. Tell me, why did you use this argument in your post?

ATAG_Dutch
10-16-2011, 12:32 PM
I think this thread has invented a new theory of relativity, whereby;

E=MI2

Insert word beginning with 'I' according to your preference. I'd go for 'intolerance', personally.;)

Edit: terribly sorry for the typo, I couldn't get the 'squared' symbol in the correct place.

albx
10-16-2011, 01:04 PM
I think this thread has invented a new theory of relativity, whereby;

E=MI2

Insert word beginning with 'I' according to your preference. I'd go for 'intolerance', personally.;)

Edit: terribly sorry for the typo, I couldn't get the 'squared' symbol in the correct place.

yes, there is intollerance at any question, I don't know why we are at this stage, probably a patch-stress ?

ATAG_Snapper
10-16-2011, 02:30 PM
Better not ask about the Spit's mixture control! LOL

Vengeanze
10-16-2011, 03:45 PM
Better not ask about the Spit's mixture control! LOL

Wouldn't surprise me if they reversed it. Another example of the programmers lack of quality. :-P ;-)

ATAG_Snapper
10-16-2011, 04:05 PM
Wouldn't surprise me if they reversed it. Another example of the programmers lack of quality. :-P ;-)

I KNEW you'd jump on that, V! LOL

I just fly the Spits and Hurries, so I can't comment on the other aircraft. CoD has the mixture control reversed in the Spits (the Hurricane's mixture control is modelled correctly in CoD). No biggie once you know it, but it cost me a few blown Merlins at the beginning until I realised it. Should be an easy fix, but I imagine it's way down on the priority list. The devs DID fix the range settings on the gunsight, though, so you never know! :)

Trooper117
10-16-2011, 04:12 PM
Considering this is reported as being the most realistic and comprehensive WWII flight sim game ever, getting the mixture controls mixed up on such a well known and iconic aircraft such as the Spit, which has a wealth of information, and all freely available to the devs is a huge, huge oversight..
But then again.. lol!

ATAG_Snapper
10-16-2011, 04:31 PM
Considering this is reported as being the most realistic and comprehensive WWII flight sim game ever, getting the mixture controls mixed up on such a well known and iconic aircraft such as the Spit, which has a wealth of information, and all freely available to the devs is a huge, huge oversight..
But then again.. lol!

Yep.

As with most here, I believe CoD to have real elements of brilliance in the detail of the cockpits, the aircraft themselves. DM, etc. etc.

An oversight like this, to me, points to a rushed project with insufficient attention to overall detail. From my art'y days, sorta like laying the gun in record time with elevation, bearing, and gun correction all dialed in precisely, but forgetting to remove the muzzle cover before pulling the lanyard........

Vengeanze
10-16-2011, 05:00 PM
Yep.

As with most here, I believe CoD to have real elements of brilliance in the detail of the cockpits, the aircraft themselves. DM, etc. etc.

An oversight like this, to me, points to a rushed project with insufficient attention to overall detail. From my art'y days, sorta like laying the gun in record time with elevation, bearing, and gun correction all dialed in precisely, but forgetting to remove the muzzle cover before pulling the lanyard........
yep+1 :D

PeterPanPan
10-16-2011, 07:00 PM
I agree with you. However I must add that my comment had some content to it even though it didn't apply this time.

Btw, "real world flying experience" does nothing to me. What is that? I had some "real world flying experience" myself. You use it to give more weight to your argument. It didn't work nor will it ever do.
Knowledge about trim tabs can be acquired theoretically.
I'm curious to why some always like to pull this card in some discussions.
You seem like a knowledgeable guy. Tell me, why did you use this argument in your post?

Hi V, maybe you didn't intend your statement to be quite so inflammatory, but it was. Maybe it's a language thing though for which I can't criticise. I certainly can't speak Swedish ;). BUT in English, what you said just wasn't a good thing to say. IMHO it warrants an 'oops' at least from you :-P.

You're totally right that one doesn't need any real world flying experience to know about trim tabs. In my case though, I doubt I would have decided to read up about trim tabs unless I was undergoing pilot training. Not exactly something anyone would likely read about unless the really needed to know about it. A real world pilot needs to know about it, which is why I mentioned my real world flying experience. An explanation for why I know about it. In fact, it's bloody important to know. I have read several accounts of elevators having jammed and pilots regaining some pitch control with the trim tab alone. Essential to know that they work in reverse in such scenarios. Oh, to answer your question, 'real world experience' for me is a PPL with about 90 hours.

Anyway, olive branch?

PPP

Vengeanze
10-16-2011, 08:02 PM
Hi V, maybe you didn't intend your statement to be quite so inflammatory, but it was. Maybe it's a language thing though for which I can't criticise. I certainly can't speak Swedish ;). BUT in English, what you said just wasn't a good thing to say. IMHO it warrants an 'oops' at least from you :-P.

You're totally right that one doesn't need any real world flying experience to know about trim tabs. In my case though, I doubt I would have decided to read up about trim tabs unless I was undergoing pilot training. Not exactly something anyone would likely read about unless the really needed to know about it. A real world pilot needs to know about it, which is why I mentioned my real world flying experience. An explanation for why I know about it. In fact, it's bloody important to know. I have read several accounts of elevators having jammed and pilots regaining some pitch control with the trim tab alone. Essential to know that they work in reverse in such scenarios. Oh, to answer your question, 'real world experience' for me is a PPL with about 90 hours.

Anyway, olive branch?

PPP

PPL, huh!?! My experience is one hour in a Cherokee where I got to "wheel" the plane for a short five minutes. It was a gift. :-D

I'm too proud to give an "oops" and this is Internet so I don't have to. ;-)

robtek
10-16-2011, 10:13 PM
If you are too proud to give a "oops" then there is nothing to be proud about!

nearmiss
10-17-2011, 04:00 AM
Albx started this thread and it has evolved to naming calling.

Albx has been reported more than a few times. In order to keep some sanity...

THis thread is locked -