PDA

View Full Version : Can't get base spawning & car.cpp to work.

salmo
10-10-2011, 06:52 AM
In the spirit of the blind leading the blind, here's a test mission I'm using to try to get (1) home base (airfield) spawning for dogfight/server missions & (2) the car.cpp script to work with spline roadways.

I'd be grateful is someone can look at (1) the spline road setup just north of Lympne airfield. It's supposed to look like a tractor going back & forward plowing a field, but the tractor stops after one circuit. (2) The spawn points at Lympne airfield and at Littrlsone airfield (south of Lynphne) which are supposed to provide Bleheims & Spit's11a's at each base respectively. These spawn point don't appear on the map when the mission is launched :(

What an I doing wrong? Test mission Download removed by author

Ataros
10-10-2011, 10:49 AM
Spawns work. Just spawned 40 Blenheims at once :) Maybe you did not start the battle or selected side first?

I do not recommend using splineroads or many small objects in an online mission (with spawns) because they increase loading time, reduce FPS and increase lag. You will have to remove all these sandboxes and sirens for online use I am afraid.

It is there for offline and future online use, maybe in 2-3 years when we have better hardware.

salmo
10-10-2011, 10:52 AM
Thanks Ataros. I'm clearly doing something wrong. I go to multiplayer-server-OK then select the mission to launch. A map screen appears in the left pane (no bases visible), I then click start battle & get the message "choose an army to choose an existing plane or an airfield an airfield on map to create a new one". Trouble is there are no bases highlighted on the map screen & no red or blue flags to choose a side from. Any ideas?

I've launched the server again to see if any of you can join _AUS_Nations@War server the mission contineously spawns waves of Dornier bombers every 10 min to attack Lynpne airfield so if it's working you should have something to shoot at.

Ataros
10-10-2011, 11:20 AM
Check out difficulty settings. Probably you prohibited Side Switching. Uncheck other boxes in this section as well.

Sometimes Flags do not appear because the mission is not loaded completely. Then I just rejoin this server again and flags appear. Same on host PC.

salmo
10-10-2011, 11:46 AM
Check out difficulty settings. Probably you prohibited Side Switching. Uncheck other boxes in this section as well.

Sometimes Flags do not appear because the mission is not loaded completely. Then I just rejoin this server again and flags appear. Same on host PC.

Yep, that did it. I've un-ticked all boxes in the side-switching section & now flags for red & blue appear: very odd? Now to see if anyone can join _AUS_Nations@War server?

Ataros
10-10-2011, 11:59 PM
You can start a dedicated server and join it with client from the same PC for testing and flying.

salmo
10-12-2011, 01:04 AM
I launched a server last night. Mutiplayer-Server-OK & selected main mission. I can select side OK & spawn in selected aircraft OK. Trouble is, my mate cannot see my server name in the server list.

I then went to multiplayer-lobby & launched the mission again. I could select side & aircraft & spawn in OK. This time my mate could see my "server" in the lobby list, but when he tried to join he gets a time-out error. We both have the same game version with latest beta-patch & freze update installed.

Any thoughts on why he cannot join my "lobby" game? How come my server does not appear on the "server" list?

Ataros
10-12-2011, 06:16 AM
Those threads are in Multiplayer forum section.

salmo
10-12-2011, 09:17 AM
Read the threads pertaining to server/lobby setup. My bet is you haven't gone into your firewall and router and opened up the necessary ports.

I won't be near my game machine for another week, but this sounds like the probable issue. It's been so long since I punched a hole in the firewall for IL2-1946 that I forgot such a simple step. Thankyou.

SNAFU
10-12-2011, 09:39 AM
You can start a dedicated server and join it with client from the same PC for testing and flying.

Could you give me a hint for information concerning this?

I can start a server with the launcerh.exe -server extension, but as soon as I start the game with the regular launcher.exe, steam interrupts and won´t let me start the game.

FG28_Kodiak
10-12-2011, 09:41 AM
Thats very interesting for testing, could you explain how to handle it Ataros?

FG28_Kodiak
10-12-2011, 10:45 AM
Ha it works, simply start your game first, then start the dedi, load the map in dedy etc. Then connect to the dedi with client via LAN. ;)

SNAFU
10-12-2011, 11:23 AM
Hu, good to know.

Ja, Chef müsste man sein, dann kann man arbeiten lassen und sich selber um die wichtigen Dinge kümmern... :cool:

FG28_Kodiak
10-12-2011, 11:24 AM
Ha ich hatte gestern ne Kiefer OP momentan dient das ganze hier der Ablenkung AUA AUA Ahhh

Ataros
10-12-2011, 12:19 PM
I do not have an external (real) IP now and can not test it again. But before recent patches I just:
- went to Steam folder and found launcher.exe file
- made a windows shortcut to desktop
- added -server only to this shortcut
- launched server via this shortcut
- launched client from Steam window
- connected from client to my server

Maybe some ports must be open.

I can not figure out how to use Lobby with dedicated server because now I am behind a router and my dedi is not starting the usual way. Can not test my mission efficiently :(