PDA

View Full Version : Windows 8 released for all to try

machoo
09-25-2011, 05:43 AM
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/apps/br229516

It's BETA but it's rock solid. The UI is different but overall pretty impressive.

Ailantd
09-25-2011, 06:39 AM
I already try it and even metro interface could be really good for tablets I don't like it at all for desktop systems. I hope it can be deactivated in release version or I´m going to be stuck in win7 for a lot of years. The reason I don´t like it for mouse keyboard & control it is because has non sense at all. It does not add nothing better about usability or agility than we have now. It is a lot slower for open programs and force you to go to a different screen for open a program while you are working? that´s silly. If it could be deactivated when you are not working in a tactile system, then I have no problem with it. I want my OS let me do thing really quick without moving from here to there for common tasks. No more, no less. About how it looks, I think it does not fit at all with desktop part, and I like coherence, so I don`t like it either.

Kobold10
09-25-2011, 07:43 AM
I already try it and even metro interface could be really good for tablets I don't like it at all for desktop systems. I hope it can be deactivated in release version or I´m going to be stuck in win7 for a lot of years. The reason I don´t like it for mouse keyboard & control it is because has non sense at all. It does not add nothing better about usability or agility than we have now. It is a lot slower for open programs and force you to go to a different screen for open a program while you are working? that´s silly. If it could be deactivated when you are not working in a tactile system, then I have no problem with it. I want my OS let me do thing really quick without moving from here to there for common tasks. No more, no less. About how it looks, I think it does not fit at all with desktop part, and I like coherence, so I don`t like it either.

Did you detect any speed advantages? Is the win8 faster while using sowtware?

Fjordmonkey
09-25-2011, 08:48 AM
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/apps/br229516

It's BETA but it's rock solid. The UI is different but overall pretty impressive.

This is NOT the Beta-version. This is the developer preview-release that was released at this year's Build-conference. Beta 1-release isn't until later this year, at which we'll really start to see how the system performs.

I've run it on an older box, and the system seems faster. The new layout is a bit to get used to, however, but it only takes a slight adjustment of thought, from PC to tablet, to get comfortable with it. And besides, how many of us spend our days staring at the desktop, anyway?

Ailantd
09-25-2011, 04:31 PM
Did you detect any speed advantages? Is the win8 faster while using sowtware?

I try it in a virtual machine, so I can´t tell that.

Ailantd
09-25-2011, 04:32 PM
This is NOT the Beta-version. This is the developer preview-release that was released at this year's Build-conference. Beta 1-release isn't until later this year, at which we'll really start to see how the system performs.

I've run it on an older box, and the system seems faster. The new layout is a bit to get used to, however, but it only takes a slight adjustment of thought, from PC to tablet, to get comfortable with it. And besides, how many of us spend our days staring at the desktop, anyway?

People like me that use it to work, not only gaming, and that are opening and closing heavy programs all the day.

shoot_the_goose
09-25-2011, 04:47 PM
I'm just interested in gaming performance really.I don't know why microsoft or someone else doesn't release a cut down gaming operating system you can have on a seperate partion or second drive or something.

epoch
09-25-2011, 04:57 PM
I try it in a virtual machine, so I can´t tell that.

You got a VM working? Which host?

It wouldn't even install on VMware Workstation 7.

ratzmilk
09-25-2011, 05:24 PM
Did you have to re-install Steam and/or Clod?

The game isn't starting for me at all. No errors, or anything. Even tried running the launcher.exe direct as administrator, and still nothing happens.

AWL_Spinner
09-25-2011, 05:27 PM

It'll run in Virtualbox.

Ailantd
09-25-2011, 05:43 PM

I installed it in Oracle´s VirtualBox over win7
Googling a bit you can find how to configure it so it works fine.

Talbot
09-25-2011, 05:46 PM

The game isn't starting for me at all. No errors, or anything. Even tried running the launcher.exe direct as administrator, and still nothing happens.

+1 :confused:

AWL_Spinner
09-25-2011, 05:57 PM

Well I have that trouble in Windows 7.... :(

I've got CLoD to start three times, each of which was immediately after re-installing my NVidia drivers. Needless to say this is a bit of a hassle to go through just to start a game, so I'm waiting to see if things improve with future patches.

Fjordmonkey
09-26-2011, 04:55 AM
People like me that use it to work, not only gaming, and that are opening and closing heavy programs all the day.

I'd actually be one of those, myself. I spend by day buried in various server-consoles, network traffic-reports, Excel spreadsheets and a horde of other muppetry. With the ability to create my own start-page, like you can once Win8's beta actually gets here, I can have what I need at my fingertips, and I don't need to minimize anything to get hold of them. A which jab at the Windows-key gets me the startpage.

We'll have to see how the system works once the Beta gets here. I'll render my final judgement at it then.

ReconNZ
09-26-2011, 05:30 AM
Well I have that trouble in Windows 7.... :(

I've got CLoD to start three times, each of which was immediately after re-installing my NVidia drivers. Needless to say this is a bit of a hassle to go through just to start a game, so I'm waiting to see if things improve with future patches.

Spinner, mate there is no point waiting for future patches, you are clearly in the massive minority - the vast majority of people have CloD working easily on Win7, so the problem lies almost certainly with your system, not with the game. I strongly suggest a full re-install of Win7, or perhaps try a different graphics card as maybe there is a problem with yours or a corruption deep in your registry. Either way if you are having problems with something that works for the vast majorty, you need to look at your rig, not the software.

ratzmilk
09-26-2011, 09:58 AM

Having task manager open while starting launcher.exe has revealed that it does in fact start up, runs for a few seconds, then exits. Still without any error messages though. It appears to start, you see that amount of memory it's using grow for a few seconds, then it will stop. I've seen it stop anywhere between 700k and 8000k. At any point between those two figures, the memory usage will stop growing, it'll sit there for another 30 seconds frozen, then disappears from task manager.

I've just finished doing a complete fresh install of the OS, then steam, then downloaded the game fresh again, still does exactly the same thing.

Fjordmonkey
09-26-2011, 01:09 PM
Wait, people are trying to run a game on a DEVELOPER-version of a new OS? And by Developer-version, I mean Pre-Beta software specifically designed for and given out to developers on a Build-conference on a Samsum-pad (aka not a PC) long before the Beta is ready?

yakaddict
09-26-2011, 05:59 PM
Lets just be honest, this is not progress, its retarded. It does not look better. Adding tiles as a desktop that a computer from 2002 could have run does not look good, and the search feature is worthless. It now takes about 5 steps rather than two to pull up the control panel, and accessing my pictures and folders also takes more work. I cant really search for files and applications instantly like in 7, etc etc. Instead of fixing the problems with 7 and leaving the metro UI as an option for tablets (which is actually a genius idea) they have tried to integrate it into a desktop UI (which is impossible). In its current state windows 8 is no more than a brilliant idea gone wrong in every conceivable way. And they still havent added in multiple desktops. The ONLY feature windows 7 was lacking to make it compete directly and on the same terms with mac and linux. I really do hope they manage to integrate this into a functional system within the next year, or even better, add an option to remove the stupid UI overlay completely during installation, but in its current state I think this picture is required:

zipper
09-26-2011, 06:11 PM
I was perusing a Windows publication the other day and in it they described Win8 as being a contemporary of Win7, not a replacement. Win8 sounded to me like it was basically Win7 but with an entirely new UI to take advantage of all the new portable hardware out there.

Doesn't sound to me like anything the typical home desktop user is going to feel compelled to buy.

AWL_Spinner
09-26-2011, 06:55 PM
Spinner, mate there is no point waiting for future patches, you are clearly in the massive minority - the vast majority of people have CloD working easily on Win7, so the problem lies almost certainly with your system, not with the game. I strongly suggest a full re-install of Win7, or perhaps try a different graphics card as maybe there is a problem with yours or a corruption deep in your registry. Either way if you are having problems with something that works for the vast majorty, you need to look at your rig, not the software.

Can't bring myself to reinstall Win7, everything else is just working flawlessly. FSX, no problem. DCS:A10 - bought it yesterday, installed it, works without a hitch (great user experience too, from the UI to the training missions). RoF, ditto.

A new graphics card is on my roadmap somewhere (probably in the Black Friday sales), that's likely going to be the saviour.

Cheers, Spinner

Ailantd
09-27-2011, 08:09 AM
Lets just be honest, this is not progress, its retarded. It does not look better. Adding tiles as a desktop that a computer from 2002 could have run does not look good, and the search feature is worthless. It now takes about 5 steps rather than two to pull up the control panel, and accessing my pictures and folders also takes more work. I cant really search for files and applications instantly like in 7, etc etc. Instead of fixing the problems with 7 and leaving the metro UI as an option for tablets (which is actually a genius idea) they have tried to integrate it into a desktop UI (which is impossible). In its current state windows 8 is no more than a brilliant idea gone wrong in every conceivable way. And they still havent added in multiple desktops. The ONLY feature windows 7 was lacking to make it compete directly and on the same terms with mac and linux. I really do hope they manage to integrate this into a functional system within the next year, or even better, add an option to remove the stupid UI overlay completely during installation, but in its current state I think this picture is required:

+1

Voyager
09-27-2011, 08:45 PM
I was perusing a Windows publication the other day and in it they described Win8 as being a contemporary of Win7, not a replacement. Win8 sounded to me like it was basically Win7 but with an entirely new UI to take advantage of all the new portable hardware out there.

Doesn't sound to me like anything the typical home desktop user is going to feel compelled to buy.

Windows 7 is scheduled to sunset in 2015. Either that means MS is planning on releasing a new OS in 2 years, replacing Windows 7 with Windows 8, or extending the sunset.