PDA

View Full Version : Question re. 20thFG P-51 markings please. Was it O/D above the nose marking or Black?

Mysticpuma
09-23-2011, 07:28 AM
That's about it really! I have pictures that show the 'Piano Stripe' nose markings and when it reaches the top of the Cowling it appears to be the Olive Drab nose on the top as the colour is lighter.

I have though seen pictures which show the top of the cowling as the same colour as the Piano Stripes, which means it was Black?

This brings me on to a second question though, were the dark Piano stripes Black or very Dark Blue?

Hoping any 20th Fighter Group enthusiasts can help me out, cheers, MP

Kodoss
09-23-2011, 08:30 AM
From a picture of "My Rosie" (P-51D 44-14692) of the 77th Squadron, 20th FG its definitely olive darb.

Found in "Aces and Pilots of the US 8th/9th Air Force".

Mysticpuma
09-23-2011, 02:19 PM
Thanks Kodoss, that image is similar to the one I saw but I also have a shot of about 15 P-51's of the 20th FG and there is a clear change in colour from the side of the cowling to the top of the cowling making me think it was O/D, but I see some profiles online which show they were or could have been Black, however I have yet to see a picture that indicates this is correct, so I'll stick with O/D.

I also think that the internet colours are inaccurate on my screen as the Dark Blue appearance must I think be Black.

Finally for the markings:

55th FS (Triangle on Rudder) letters example KI - C

77th FS (Circle on Rudder) letters example LC-F

79th FS (Square on Rudder) letters example MC-R

Cheers, MP

Mysticpuma
09-23-2011, 04:38 PM
Deleted my diatribe, bad day today at work, Cheese fair point, cheers, MP

Mysticpuma
09-23-2011, 08:20 PM
Amended my post, sorry Cheese.

Still interested on info. though, MP