PDA

View Full Version : London Architecture

jetski
09-23-2011, 01:53 AM
****note: I don't have the Beta patch applied ***

As a resident of the 'conurbation', I find some of the buildings really annoying. The problem is that they are "continental" and nothing like the Victorian Cubit Terrace styles or Georgian terace styles that dominate central London.

But there is one thing that is totally doing my head in, "Where is St Pauls Cathederal!!?" How come we don't have this iconic building, especially as it featured so heavily in the history of the Blitz? Is it a 'rights issue'? If the Church of England has objected to its presence, how come they are allowing Westminister Abbey?

We have University College (ok that's nice) but what about Regent's Street and Broadcasting House? Not forgetting the Brittish Museum and the Museums in Kensington.

and the docks... They might look like parkland nowadays, but if they had been so rural in WW2, I doubt the Germans would have tried so hard to bomb them.

What format would 3-D models have to be if we wanted to submit them to 1C?

That said, I have enjoyed landing a Tiger Moth and a Hurricane in the Mall (approaching from the east, over Traffalgar Square).

Mington
09-23-2011, 12:53 PM
they are "continental" and nothing like the Victorian Cubit Terrace styles or Georgian terace styles that dominate central London.

Oleg organised a team led by Ian Boys to take high-resolution photographs of Central London buildings (and lots of places outside London) for his texture artist, in 2003

An alert Security detail watched this guy with an Irish surname creeping around the Houses of Parliament taking photgraphs of the building (and Westminster Cathedral, Tower of London etc) from all angles. Heckler and Koch weapons were the Palace security's favourite. This guy with an SLR must have been at least a little bonkers to do that but he never talks about it

Special attention was given to those Georgian terraces, so they are at least something like the real thing :)

I blame their fluorescent palette but let's not go there lol

Ming

Vengeanze
09-23-2011, 01:04 PM
It's a sign of a great flight sim when people argue over stuff like this. :grin:

Talisman
09-23-2011, 03:59 PM
Yes, London is not the same without St Pauls cathedral; it was damaged by bombing and the photograph of the smoking catheral after a German raid is very well known.This is a very small thing in a sim I am enjoying very much, so please do not get over exited, but I miss Salisbury cathedral too. It is this sort of landmark in the English cities that I miss. England has lots of churches (more that windmills) and cathedrals with spires and towers. Salisbury without it's cathedral is like Paris without the Eiffel Tower. There are some chuches in towns and villages on the map but they do not look much like English churches.

Happy landings all

Talisman

Osprey
09-23-2011, 09:54 PM
Forget St Pauls, where the hell is Selhurst Park???????

Can we at least put The Den and The Valley in so we can bomb them?

major_setback
10-03-2011, 09:06 PM
I agree totally.
Larger buildings are all that are needed in the centre of the city. They wouldn't need to be bigger in terms of resources, just bigger blocks:

http://spitfiresite.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/1940-london-picadilly.jpg

http://www.heritage-print.com/image/aerial_view_of_westminster_london_from_a_zeppelin_ 1931_1933_1879799.jpg

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa278/fit3xl/Victorian/aerial.jpg

:FI:Sneaky
11-17-2011, 02:21 PM
Croydon Airports iconic tower missing

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f18/Don_X/croydonap.jpg

also Heathrow should be called Great West Aerodrome as it was owned by Fairey in 1940. Plans for Heathrow did not come about until 1944 when the government compulsory purchased the land (at agricultural rates) on the premise of building a long range bomber base.

typo...Southnend?

:FI:Sneaky
11-17-2011, 02:30 PM

That said, I have enjoyed landing a Tiger Moth and a Hurricane in the Mall (approaching from the east, over Traffalgar Square).

It would add an extra challenge to do so flying through Admiralty Arch.

scott_fitz96
11-17-2011, 08:30 PM
But there is one thing that is totally doing my head in, "Where is St Pauls Cathederal!!?" How come we don't have this iconic building, especially as it featured so heavily in the history of the Blitz? Is it a 'rights issue'? If the Church of England has objected to its presence, how come they are allowing Westminister Abbey?

What I think you might find is something similar to what my dad thinks about the whole issue...

There is bound to be someone down the line who posts screenshots of St Paul's in a smoking heap, captioned "Hooray, I got it!" or something. This may be interpreted by those with strange minds as an anti-Christian movement, further towards terrorism, and there would be uproar, lawsuits, etc. Even worse if somebody videos a kamikaze run into the Cathedral - possibly worse outcomes still.

Personally I think it's all bollocks, but I'd say that's the most probable reason for their leaving it out. As for Westminster Abbey, it's not as 'religous' as St Paul's, generally only being used for coronations, royal weddings/funerals, etc. (Correct me if I'm wrong)

As I said, this may not be a definitive answer, but it's the best I can come up with.
Tally-ho,
Scott.

badfinger
11-18-2011, 04:18 PM
Are you telling me that you are flying along, feeling the immersion, when suddenly its all destroyed when you realize some museum is missing? This is a flight sim, not Google Earth.

Simulators aren't reality. They are a representation. So, I can put up with something a little less than that. As long as I still have the feeling that I am kind of flying that Spit or Hurri, a few missing buildings don't bother me.

By the way. The barges tied up at Calais should be a darker grey. ;)

binky9

41Sqn_Stormcrow
11-20-2011, 06:35 PM
They all got the house numbers wrong!!!! Must be repaired asap !!!!

*grin*

SsSsSsSsSnake
11-21-2011, 06:08 PM
forget st pauls, where the hell is selhurst park???????

Can we at least put the den and the valley in so we can bomb them?

lol:-)

JVM
11-22-2011, 09:47 AM
AFAIK these iconic buildings were supposed to be indestructible to avoid these very issues.

So the real issue is I believe the map was just not finished, extremely far from it...You complain about England, you should look at the French side then...there it is wrong almost from A to Z: between the coastal line showing nuclear power plants locations or 1975 harbors to trees growing on the edges of wharves, from nondescript airfields without their proper shape and surface and with marked runways (!!) to absolute lack of any landmark (look at the industrial part of Le Havre harbor: this a repeat of the same buildings and chimneys over and over... this makes 10 times more chimneys than needed!), and I will not even talk about railways, steam depots, railway artillery, rivers, missing towns, strange elevations (not many German selected airfields were flat...)...

I understand all that is missing was not intentional but linked to the apocalyptic conditions of the release of the game, so I just wait confidently for the time it will be possible for a team I wish to be part of to make the needed adjustments, with 1C/MG authorization (as it is about modifying the main map, which is supposed to be a no-go)...

JVM

Buster_Dee
11-27-2011, 02:18 PM
...and Westminster Cathedral, within sight of the Palace. Completed in early 1900s, every effort having been made to make it look like a candy cane.

I imagine the poly count would have been painful.

Still, there is much to like is the present sim. I can't wait to see what SDKs open up.