Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > Technical threads > Vehicle and Terrain threads

Vehicle and Terrain threads Discussions about environment and vehicles in CoD

Old 09-23-2011, 12:53 AM
Registered Member

Default London Architecture

****note: I don't have the Beta patch applied ***

As a resident of the 'conurbation', I find some of the buildings really annoying. The problem is that they are "continental" and nothing like the Victorian Cubit Terrace styles or Georgian terace styles that dominate central London.

But there is one thing that is totally doing my head in, "Where is St Pauls Cathederal!!?" How come we don't have this iconic building, especially as it featured so heavily in the history of the Blitz? Is it a 'rights issue'? If the Church of England has objected to its presence, how come they are allowing Westminister Abbey?

We have University College (ok that's nice) but what about Regent's Street and Broadcasting House? Not forgetting the Brittish Museum and the Museums in Kensington.

and the docks... They might look like parkland nowadays, but if they had been so rural in WW2, I doubt the Germans would have tried so hard to bomb them.

What format would 3-D models have to be if we wanted to submit them to 1C?

That said, I have enjoyed landing a Tiger Moth and a Hurricane in the Mall (approaching from the east, over Traffalgar Square).
Old 09-23-2011, 11:53 AM
Approved Member

they are "continental" and nothing like the Victorian Cubit Terrace styles or Georgian terace styles that dominate central London.

Oleg organised a team led by Ian Boys to take high-resolution photographs of Central London buildings (and lots of places outside London) for his texture artist, in 2003

An alert Security detail watched this guy with an Irish surname creeping around the Houses of Parliament taking photgraphs of the building (and Westminster Cathedral, Tower of London etc) from all angles. Heckler and Koch weapons were the Palace security's favourite. This guy with an SLR must have been at least a little bonkers to do that but he never talks about it

Special attention was given to those Georgian terraces, so they are at least something like the real thing

I blame their fluorescent palette but let's not go there lol

Ming
Old 09-23-2011, 12:04 PM
Approved Member

It's a sign of a great flight sim when people argue over stuff like this.
Old 09-23-2011, 02:59 PM
Approved Member

Yes, London is not the same without St Pauls cathedral; it was damaged by bombing and the photograph of the smoking catheral after a German raid is very well known.This is a very small thing in a sim I am enjoying very much, so please do not get over exited, but I miss Salisbury cathedral too. It is this sort of landmark in the English cities that I miss. England has lots of churches (more that windmills) and cathedrals with spires and towers. Salisbury without it's cathedral is like Paris without the Eiffel Tower. There are some chuches in towns and villages on the map but they do not look much like English churches.

Happy landings all

Talisman
Old 09-23-2011, 08:54 PM
Approved Member

Forget St Pauls, where the hell is Selhurst Park???????

Can we at least put The Den and The Valley in so we can bomb them?
Old 10-03-2011, 08:06 PM
Approved Member

I agree totally.
Larger buildings are all that are needed in the centre of the city. They wouldn't need to be bigger in terms of resources, just bigger blocks:

Flying online as Setback.
Old 11-17-2011, 01:21 PM
Approved Member

Croydon Airports iconic tower missing

also Heathrow should be called Great West Aerodrome as it was owned by Fairey in 1940. Plans for Heathrow did not come about until 1944 when the government compulsory purchased the land (at agricultural rates) on the premise of building a long range bomber base.

typo...Southnend?
Old 11-17-2011, 01:30 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetski View Post

That said, I have enjoyed landing a Tiger Moth and a Hurricane in the Mall (approaching from the east, over Traffalgar Square).
It would add an extra challenge to do so flying through Admiralty Arch.
Old 11-17-2011, 07:30 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetski View Post
But there is one thing that is totally doing my head in, "Where is St Pauls Cathederal!!?" How come we don't have this iconic building, especially as it featured so heavily in the history of the Blitz? Is it a 'rights issue'? If the Church of England has objected to its presence, how come they are allowing Westminister Abbey?
What I think you might find is something similar to what my dad thinks about the whole issue...

There is bound to be someone down the line who posts screenshots of St Paul's in a smoking heap, captioned "Hooray, I got it!" or something. This may be interpreted by those with strange minds as an anti-Christian movement, further towards terrorism, and there would be uproar, lawsuits, etc. Even worse if somebody videos a kamikaze run into the Cathedral - possibly worse outcomes still.

Personally I think it's all bollocks, but I'd say that's the most probable reason for their leaving it out. As for Westminster Abbey, it's not as 'religous' as St Paul's, generally only being used for coronations, royal weddings/funerals, etc. (Correct me if I'm wrong)

As I said, this may not be a definitive answer, but it's the best I can come up with.
Tally-ho,
Scott.
Old 11-18-2011, 03:18 PM
Approved Member

Are you telling me that you are flying along, feeling the immersion, when suddenly its all destroyed when you realize some museum is missing? This is a flight sim, not Google Earth.

Simulators aren't reality. They are a representation. So, I can put up with something a little less than that. As long as I still have the feeling that I am kind of flying that Spit or Hurri, a few missing buildings don't bother me.

By the way. The barges tied up at Calais should be a darker grey.

binky9
Intel i7 3.4ghz Processor
GTX 780 Graphics Card OC
24GB Ram
Track IR5
50" LG HDMI LED 1920x1080 60hrz
MS FFB2 Stick
CH Pedals
Saitek Throttle/Prop/Mixture and Trim wheel
Thrustmaster MFDs

League City, TX