PDA

View Full Version : Bullets holes...

Rickusty
09-21-2011, 08:57 AM
Hi guys,

first of all, I must say that the DM of Clod is one of the most nice things I like in this sim... But...
I was having a small test flight yesterday with a Bg f 110 against a group of Blenheims and I found out this:

the DM doesn't show ALL the bullets fired at the enemy aircraft, even when the options for "damage decals" is set to the higest setting.
I tried to fire single burst in slow motion and maybe 1 out of 3 bullet holes are showed in the enemy aircraft.

And I found out it even depends on which plane you're firing at.
For example, Sunderlands have very rare bullet holes whenever you hit them...
While Defiants show more bullet holes in comparison...
Even BF 109s don't have that many bullet holes when fired upon by an Hurricane firing 9200 rounds per minute!
That's about 150 rounds per second. Even if the target is in your sight for HALF a second, almost 75 bullets would hit it.

It would be cool to have real bullet holes (or , if using HE ammo, cracks, splinter damage areas etc) for every bullet fired.
I, for once, would really love it, as to be able to check exactly what I hit.

Cheers
Rick

Warhound
09-21-2011, 09:05 AM
I'm afraid it wouldn't be as cool as you think, since your pc would be constantly calculating every hit and drawing 100% accurate and detailed damage.
Resulting in 1-2FPS gameplay and an utterly unplayable game.

Ze-Jamz
09-21-2011, 11:03 AM
I'm afraid it wouldn't be as cool as you think, since your pc would be constantly calculating every hit and drawing 100% accurate and detailed damage.

Exactly... what your asking for would have a massive hit on performance

Rickusty
09-21-2011, 11:11 AM
Yeah, I understand that.
But are you so sure that would really be the case?
The engine already calculates 100% of the fired bullets now, their hit locations, penetration values etc...

It is just that the graphic representations of them is available to , maybe, half of them.
I am not sure that would suck up so many CPU-GPU resources.

But it would be nice to have that option available, no matter the performance hit, don't you think?

Just to have the option for a "damage decals" to "unlimited".
Each user could have the right to choose what he wants.

Of course, it's not a very important aspect of the game that needs fixing right now, but it would be cool nonetheless in the future.
It would be more realistic to see the real damage that those 8 Brownings were able to do with their impressive rate of fire.

Sternjaeger II
09-21-2011, 11:13 AM
would it though?
The impact points are ALREADY calculated for the DM, applying a texture on the point of impact would only affect the GPU load, not the calculation process.

It's like when you could activate impact vectors in the old IL-2, they didn't affect framerate (well at least not on my machine).

Ze-Jamz
09-21-2011, 11:35 AM
Yeah, I understand that.
But are you so sure that would really be the case?
The engine already calculates 100% of the fired bullets now, their hit locations, penetration values etc...

It is just that the graphic representations of them is available to , maybe, half of them.
I am not sure that would suck up so many CPU-GPU resources.

But it would be nice to have that option available, no matter the performance hit, don't you think?

Just to have the option for a "damage decals" to "unlimited".
Each user could have the right to choose what he wants.

Of course, it's not a very important aspect of the game that needs fixing right now, but it would be cool nonetheless in the future.
It would be more realistic to see the real damage that those 8 Brownings were able to do with their impressive rate of fire.

You would see a difference in performance, how much depends on what spec rig you have obviously but i do agree that being able to adjust it User end would be nice.

esmiol
09-21-2011, 04:38 PM
IMO the dev get that feature out for optimisation...becaus if i remind.. .it was a feature that all little caliber bullet will let an impact.

and if i remember... at the release...the number of impact was bigger than now.

maybe later...like lot of feature this one will be activated.

Blackdog_kt
09-22-2011, 01:45 AM
Are we talking about machine guns, cannons or both?

It was clearly stated that only machine guns would get the "damage decal where the bullet hits" treatment, damage from cannon shells follows the old IL2 method of predefined textures to save the processing load that would be required to dynamically calculate deformation of metals.

Rickusty
09-24-2011, 08:15 AM
Only Machinegun bullets...
I can understand that it would be hard to model every single cannon explosion on every surface of each plane.

But still, not all the bullets fired have their actual representation on each aircraft fired upon.

41Sqn_Stormcrow
09-24-2011, 12:21 PM
Me on my part have some doubts on the DM. Not in terms of visual representation but rather in terms of how damages impacts the FM. I just came from Repka server being shot down (ok my fault I went into a stall as I am quite new to the 109 and don't have much practice) by a Spit 2a after having damaged here before punching enough holes into her right wing that she spat fuels from this wing. Being down I took some time to watch this one and despite having considerable holes in its right wing and lacking the right aileron this player just rowed up loop after loop after loop chasing down 109s that tried to get a shot at him. It does not seem realistic too me.

Also try to get rid of half of one ofyour 109 wing. You will feel a little tendency to roll to the other side but that's about it all.

After AI issues and the bugs on the menue I think the DM really needs an overhaul ...

Kurfürst
09-24-2011, 02:25 PM

It doesn't seem to be that much of a performance hit, the B-17 Flying Fortress sim showed every bullet precisly where it hit. And that was ages ago... see around 6:00

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w999Hikefc0&feature=related

Jugdriver
09-24-2011, 02:58 PM
Me on my part have some doubts on the DM. Not in terms of visual representation but rather in terms of how damages impacts the FM. I just came from Repka server being shot down (ok my fault I went into a stall as I am quite new to the 109 and don't have much practice) by a Spit 2a after having damaged here before punching enough holes into her right wing that she spat fuels from this wing. Being down I took some time to watch this one and despite having considerable holes in its right wing and lacking the right aileron this player just rowed up loop after loop after loop chasing down 109s that tried to get a shot at him. It does not seem realistic too me.

Also try to get rid of half of one ofyour 109 wing. You will feel a little tendency to roll to the other side but that's about it all.

After AI issues and the bugs on the menue I think the DM really needs an overhaul ...

Yeah, I think there are parts of the DM that are not turned on. I have hammered some opponents who showed serious damage (like blown off horizontal stabilizers) but it did not seem to effect their aircrafts flight characteristics at all.

JD
MattE

Blackdog_kt
09-25-2011, 01:53 AM
It doesn't seem to be that much of a performance hit, the B-17 Flying Fortress sim showed every bullet precisly where it hit. And that was ages ago... see around 6:00

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w999Hikefc0&feature=related

To be fair though, that only happened for the first six bombers in your flight (you could have as many as 18, but anything more than six were simplified models) and the attacking enemy fighters which, if memory serves me right, consisted of a maximum of 2-3 waves of four fighters each during the course of an entire mission.

There's always a cost ;)