PDA

View Full Version : Restored Mk 1 spit

Rather peeved
09-19-2011, 04:20 AM
Check this out. beautiful. Also take note of the landscape (lots of hedgerows and brown ploughed fields) and the fact there is not one but two fuel cock switches.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/goodwood-revival/8753919/A-rare-Spitfire-Mark-I-takes-to-the-skies-once-more.html

IvanK
09-19-2011, 04:51 AM
Lovely Video and aeroplane.

Devs are directly aware of the requirement for 2 Fuel cocks. Single Fuel cock came in to being on later MK V's.

Close inspection also shows being a really early MK I as it had 2 Fuel gauges as well one for each tank. Later MKI's had the single fuel gauge that read the bottom tank contents ... but only when the Fuel button was pressed. The same mechanisation is required for later MKI's with the single fuel gauge.

albx
09-19-2011, 06:36 AM
the reflector gunsight is different or what?

Kwiatek
09-19-2011, 08:33 AM
Absolutly beautufully. Clasic. I would like to fly some day such beauty :)

Ze-Jamz
09-19-2011, 08:39 AM
lovely..

PeterPanPan
09-19-2011, 09:01 AM
Amazing video and story.

Devs are directly aware of the requirement for 2 Fuel cocks.

Yes, I posted about this back in April (http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?t=21384) so hopefully it is on the dev's list.

PPP

kristorf
09-19-2011, 09:17 AM
Beautiful

fireship4
09-19-2011, 09:39 AM
Thanks for the link, nice video - I was surprised as I don't think much of the newspapers over here. Just as surprising was the fact that there is some real discussion below the video about performance of the spit/hurri/109/mustang in the comments section.

Plt Off JRB Meaker
09-19-2011, 10:31 AM
Superb mate,thanks for posting,I love the way they have kept the restoration to it's original form.

ATAG_Dutch
09-19-2011, 10:46 AM
Absolutely beautiful, and a bit sad that F.O. Cazenove didn't live to see it found.

Does anyone know if this is going to the BBMF?

Cheers, and thanks for posting.

kristorf
09-19-2011, 10:48 AM
I hope its left (externally) to become 'worn' in a similar way the Shuttleworth collection allow the outside to become weathered.

My biggest disapointment with modern Warbirds is the high polish and constant cleaning that they all get as opposed to the more correct (in painted aircraft) matt finish.

pupaxx
09-19-2011, 11:03 AM
Amazing!
Thanks for share.
A good reference for devs for weather and landscape looking!!!:o

Plt Off JRB Meaker
09-19-2011, 12:01 PM
I hope its left (externally) to become 'worn' in a similar way the Shuttleworth collection allow the outside to become weathered.

My biggest disapointment with modern Warbirds is the high polish and constant cleaning that they all get as opposed to the more correct (in painted aircraft) matt finish.

Well said Chris,they all look as though they have several coats of varnish applied to them,personally,I'd like to see an original matt coat job,much more realistic.

Cap'n Crunch
09-20-2011, 01:16 AM
Probably have preservation for long term in mind.

Anyone know how to go about grabbing the vid?

Doc_uk
09-20-2011, 07:24 PM
Nice vid, and very nice flyby sound :)

JG52Krupi
09-20-2011, 07:51 PM
Very cool thanks for sharing... makes me want to join an RAF squad :D

Old-Banger
09-20-2011, 09:21 PM
She can be seen in flight here: http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?t=26303

I could not get too close but some of the video I took shows a matt upper finish, black and white underside ala CLoD. She does sound sweet too, not as harsh as later Spits.

I believe she is owned and flown by John Romain, but I'm not 100% on that.

choctaw111
09-20-2011, 10:07 PM
What a great story and a beautiful plane. It is very sad that the pilot didn't get a chance to see this.

Rickusty
09-21-2011, 07:23 AM
Beautiful , stunning... And an amazing story.

Friendly_flyer
09-21-2011, 08:07 AM
I really like how they have given it an early war B/W belly and narrow yellow ring to the roundel!

klem
09-21-2011, 08:17 AM
Very cool thanks for sharing... makes me want to join an RAF squad :D

The doors always open Krupi :)

Beautiful, just beautiful. Thanks.

I don't mind the 'factory finish'. They all started out like that :)

Sternjaeger II
09-21-2011, 08:18 AM

I feel your pain, but the "patina" is something that not all understand, although the flat coat is getting more and more common now.

Peter Teichman's P-40 was used by George Lucas for the upcoming "Red Tails" and it received some water colour weathering. It looked so good and was so convincing that he decided to keep it for as long as possible before it starts to wear off.

The main issue is that many warbird collectors have a "classic car" approach to it: the shinier the better.

Birdflu
09-21-2011, 10:49 AM
What a nice a-plane

bongodriver
09-21-2011, 11:01 AM
I feel your pain, but the "patina" is something that not all understand, although the flat coat is getting more and more common now.

Peter Teichman's P-40 was used by George Lucas for the upcoming "Red Tails" and it received some water colour weathering. It looked so good and was so convincing that he decided to keep it for as long as possible before it starts to wear off.

The main issue is that many warbird collectors have a "classic car" approach to it: the shinier the better.

You ight also consider a gloss coat is aerodynamically more efficient, BBMF aircraft are all gloss because they 'have' to save money, in the long term they will burn less fuel, also a good gloss coat is harder wearing than Matt and retain their looks for longer, after all they do want to show these machines off as immaculate instead of looking beaten up.

BOBC
10-03-2011, 01:57 AM
IvanK Devs are directly aware of the requirement for 2 Fuel cocks. Single Fuel cock came in to being on later MK V's.

Close inspection also shows being a really early MK I as it had 2 Fuel gauges as well one for each tank. Later MKI's had the single fuel gauge that read the bottom tank contents ... but only when the Fuel button was pressed

Not true, all Mk1 and 1a Spits in the BoB had two fuel gauges, every panel dug from that period has such, later on in the BoB the 48 gallon gauge was removed or simply left in place and the 37 gallon gauge used for both tanks, with a plate saying about this sitting above and overlapping the gauges glass. A panel with one gauge hole and no data plate is not BoB.

PeterPanPan
Yes, I posted about this back in April

Glad to see someone else trying to correct the 'mistakes'.

I posted about the differences between the sim and the Mk1 as it was through almost all of the Battle of Britain before the sim was released, though the developers knew better and believed they had one fuel cock, one fuel gauge hole, two tier pedals, later small clock, to name a few, the list was brushed aside. There are now two Mk1 Spitfires including Peter Monks restored to BoB spec and viewable cockpit wise to the public via the media, and both are as my list. Maybe the developers will now concede that an example in a museum may just have undergone some changes since the BoB, as such was their reference as opposed to dug examples from L through to X serial aircraft which were mine.

See http://forum.keypublishing.co.uk/showthread.php?t=110762&page=9 for cockpit views of P9374. Flypast magazine just out with a spitfire on the cover for Peter Monks aircraft and http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-10955752 link to stills video BBC Spit Mk1 Duxford.

Note also in the views of P9374 in the keypublishing thread, (there are many great shots in that thread) that the correct spinner is in use, unlike the sim which for the Mk1a gives it a Mk2 spinner. P9374 is how the Mk1 and Mk1a should look ! Peter Monk has yet to finish the panel with the gunsight dimmer knob and cables, and landing lamp plaque. A2A sim by the way have a few mistakes, e.g. starter mag switch far too high up and gauges positioned wrong in that area, boost gauge is the very early 1939 large type and they have an all brass Hurricane gun button, red finished aluminium was spitfire.

I hope the developers will now give us a Mk1 and 1a spitfire and observe my list at last. Or maybe they will argue that months of research that have gone into every minute detail of these two spits by two different parties is incorrect. Note they use the pedals they were found with, one tier pedals.

At the least fix the Mk1a option giving a Mk2 spinner.

BOBC

checkmysix
10-03-2011, 05:16 AM
Great Post
What a Beauty and what a fantastic restoration.
And thanks to Kristorf We can all take to the Skies
in this Georgeous Spitfire.
Chris has also done a fantastic job of bringing this Baby back to life
[Though I suspect it may have taken Fewer hours and Cleaner Hands :grin:]
Well done Mate.

Get Her here
http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?t=23619&page=8