PDA

View Full Version : Do you collect any aviation/militaria memorabilia?

Sternjaeger II
09-14-2011, 08:05 PM
Just a little curiosity of mine, since over the years I piled quite some junk of different nature ;)

I have enough stuff to open a tiny museum probably, and I was actually wondering whether I should donate it to one at some point!

What do you guys have? :)

Sternjaeger II
09-14-2011, 10:36 PM
forgot to tell what I have, duh! (this all got started cos I was looking for something in the loft lol most of the stuff is still packed from the last move!)

off the top of my head (some stuff might have gone)

Gunsights:
Revi 16B
Revi 12C/D
GGS Gyro Gunsight
RAF Reflector gunsight (the type mounted on Beaufighters and other nightfighters, with no range adjustment)
San Giorgio Tipo B (Macchi 200, 202, 205)
San Giorgio Tipo A (early Macchi 200, very rare!)
US Navy Type 9 gunsight

bits and bobs:
FW190 fuel filler cap (from russia!)
Me109 clock
Hanhart wristwatch (Luftwaffe issue, which works better than my Speedmaster Pro and I wear regularly!)
P-51 speedometer
Gipsy Major cylinder head
P&W Wasp inlet valve
Merlin piston
Merlin valve
DB605 turbine fan
Wooden Sensenich propeller (off some US trainer, probably early Sterman or Cornell)

Ammunition:
German:
MG17
MG131
MG151/15
MG151/FF
MG151/20
MK108
Mk103

Italian:
Breda 12.7
Breda 7.7

British
Vickers .303
Hispano-Suiza 20mm

American:
.30 cal
.50 cal (I also have a spent tracer bullet from an air force shooting range, quite cool stuff to see how it broke!
20mm cannon
37mm cannon

Russian:
NS-37
Shvak 20mm
Berezin 12.7mm

Japanese:
20mm
12.7mm
7.7mm

Signed Books:
Adolf Galland double book bio (also have another signed pic of him)
Gunther Rall last bio
Erich Hartmann (1st edition w/ signature of two authors as well)
Douglas Bader (abridged bio, found in a charity shop for a quid!!)
Chuck Yeager's bio
Clarence Bud Anderson bio

non aviation stuff:

Helmets:
US M1 standard issue
US M1 paratrooper (replica with original shell and lining)
German M35
German M35 (original shell, replica interior, with SS insignia, souvenir from SPR set)
British standard issue helmet (w/ plenty of interesting pencil scribbling in it)
British paratrooper helmet

Uniforms (used for reenacting):
Full 101st jump uniform (yes, I'm a Band of Brothers wh**e)
German Luftwaffe sniper
German SS troop
British Paratrooper uniform

Rifles and pistols (back home):
M-1 Garand
M-1D Garand (sniper version)
K98
K98 with ZF41
Mauser Gehwer98
SMLE
Lee-Enfield No.4
Lee-Enfield No.4 Sniper
Mosin Nagant 90/31
Mosin Nagant M38
Mosin Nagant 44
Mauser Vergueiro
Colt 1911
Luger
Webley pistol
Walther P38
Tokarev
Nagant M1895
Beretta 34
(I'll skip on modern firearms..)

..yes, that's far too much stuff :-|

Ze-Jamz
09-14-2011, 10:45 PM
LOL..

Blimey fella, you got some cool stuff there...

Can i come round to play?

Sternjaeger II
09-14-2011, 11:02 PM
LOL..

Blimey fella, you got some cool stuff there...

Can i come round to play?

I doubt our misses would be very impressed if they found us going "dakadakadaka!" in the hobby room :mrgreen:

you know, writing it down makes me realise that I could have saved a lot of money over the years lol it's all stuff that surely has an interesting selling potential though ;)

I want to do a little cabin with all the ammo exposed for my hobby room at some point, that would look quite cool.

Forgot more stuff: the replica of an Albatros D.Va rudder (from another movie, not sure which though!), then some control stick grips: Luftwaffe standard issue (probably off a 109G), Italian (from a Macchi of some kind) and American (unmissable, simple P-51 grip!).

Ze-Jamz
09-14-2011, 11:34 PM
You dont need that stuff mate really, not all of it..

Shall I PM my address? :p

JG52Krupi
09-14-2011, 11:37 PM
IF you ever run out space for that k98 I will keep hold of it for u :D

Sternjaeger II
09-14-2011, 11:42 PM
You dont need that stuff mate really, not all of it..

Shall I PM my address? :p

teehehe :mrgreen:

apart for your fab wheels, I'm sure you have some lil precious "aviation junk" stuff yourself mate :)

Sternjaeger II
09-14-2011, 11:47 PM
IF you ever run out space for that k98 I will keep hold of it for u :D

you know, I was kinda tempted to sell the first one, cos I found a genuine sniper version with ZF39, but it'd cost me too much in the end.. besides the one I have is a matching numbers one with a great barrell and was my first Mauser, in the end I thought it'd be a shame to give it away.

The one with the ZF41 has an interesting story: I bought the scope off of a guy who sold it together with a rifle that wasn't any good (pitted muzzle, non original mount), and apart for paying it a quarter of the price they normally go for, I also found out that the maker of that specific scope was quite a rare one: turns out there are only 16 left in the world!

I found a genuine k98 with ZF41 scope mount but no scope and matched it with mine! It was perfect down to the year and batch production!
The ZF41 is only 1.5x, but it's quite effective up to 400 yards, making precision aiming more simple.

JG52Krupi
09-15-2011, 01:05 AM
Do you use them!!!!

Sternjaeger II
09-15-2011, 01:10 AM
Do you use them!!!!

of course! Not very often unfortunately (twice a year and not all of them), but I do yes. They're incredibly accurate for their age! I'm particularly impressed with the Gehwer98 and Mosin Nagant 90/31, firearms that are 100 years old and still so damn precise!

ATAG_Doc
09-15-2011, 01:24 AM
I have an ARVN rifle. Never been shot but only dropped once.

BadAim
09-15-2011, 04:10 AM
I have an ARVN rifle. Never been shot but only dropped once.

LOL! I saw a beautiful Lebel in a gunshop near me. The bore was pristine, but it had some scratches on one side........(no, really I'm serious!)

Sternjaeger II
09-15-2011, 10:20 AM
LOL! I saw a beautiful Lebel in a gunshop near me. The bore was pristine, but it had some scratches on one side........(no, really I'm serious!)

lol well, joking aside, they're great lil rifles. They have a bit of a kick, but are very exotic I would say ;-)

Skoshi Tiger
09-15-2011, 10:31 AM
I believe in living history

http://i1042.photobucket.com/albums/b423/Skoshi_Tiger/Flight%20Sim/P7280012.jpg

Sternjaeger II
09-15-2011, 11:42 AM
I believe in living history

http://i1042.photobucket.com/albums/b423/Skoshi_Tiger/Flight%20Sim/P7280012.jpg

that's what I'm talking about :cool:

Nice one buddy, which year/maker?

Here are two of mine

http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/5079/securedownloadd.jpg

Skoshi Tiger
09-15-2011, 12:30 PM
that's what I'm talking about :cool:

Nice one buddy, which year/maker?

My baby is a inter-war 1924 SMLE No1 Mk3* made in Lithgow in Australia. It has matching serial for bolt, butt, forestock and nose cap. My magazine does not have a serial on it so I don't know if it's original or not.

It's butt stock has been stamped HV to designate it is sighted for the High Velocity .303 MKVII rounds (During WWI Australia was still producing rifle that used the MKVI which fired a slower heavyer round).

It's been stamped with a '3' which has been over struck with a '4'. The designates the Australian Military District that it was issued to. '3' Being Victoria and '4' Being South Australia.

I don't know anything about the Rifles individual history but the South Australian 2/27th Infantry Battalion fought along side my Dads 2/16th Inf Btn (originally Western Australian) that saw action in Syria and Lebanon, the Kokoda Track campaign, the battle of Buna-Gona, Ramu Valley and the Borneo campaign (as far as I remember Dad missed out on Buna-Gona and the Ramu Valley due to injuries on the Kokoda campaign).

The rifle in good working order though has a couple of what looks like burn marks on the wood (as well as a lot of handling marks). Rifling is still bright though I wouldn't call it pristine. The gun still shoots well though I have been using mild reloads though it.

The Bayonet is made by Enfield and is also stamped '24 which sort of matches the gun.

I've picked up the oiler and pull throughs that goes in the trapdoor in the butt and enough stripper clips for a day at the range ( EBay is a bad thing!)!

Cheers!

Sternjaeger II
09-15-2011, 02:42 PM
My baby is a inter-war 1924 SMLE No1 Mk3* made in Lithgow in Australia. It has matching serial for bolt, butt, forestock and nose cap. My magazine does not have a serial on it so I don't know if it's original or not.

It's butt stock has been stamped HV to designate it is sighted for the High Velocity .303 MKVII rounds (During WWI Australia was still producing rifle that used the MKVI which fired a slower heavyer round).

It's been stamped with a '3' which has been over struck with a '4'. The designates the Australian Military District that it was issued to. '3' Being Victoria and '4' Being South Australia.

I don't know anything about the Rifles individual history but the South Australian 2/27th Infantry Battalion fought along side my Dads 2/16th Inf Btn (originally Western Australian) that saw action in Syria and Lebanon, the Kokoda Track campaign, the battle of Buna-Gona, Ramu Valley and the Borneo campaign (as far as I remember Dad missed out on Buna-Gona and the Ramu Valley due to injuries on the Kokoda campaign).

The rifle in good working order though has a couple of what looks like burn marks on the wood (as well as a lot of handling marks). Rifling is still bright though I wouldn't call it pristine. The gun still shoots well though I have been using mild reloads though it.

The Bayonet is made by Enfield and is also stamped '24 which sort of matches the gun.

I've picked up the oiler and pull throughs that goes in the trapdoor in the butt and enough stripper clips for a day at the range ( EBay is a bad thing!)!

Cheers!

That's nice indeed! I have two, one with a corroded breech chamber which will be probably made inert, another is an SMLE MkIII* with a peculiarity I didn't realise until after I bought it: I was cleaning them together and noticed the one of the buttstocks was a couple of inches shorter than the other!

I made a quick query and apparently my rifle (they're both dated 1918 ) was one specifically made for Bantam Battalions, which enlisted shorter men, and is definitely rarer than the average SMLE :)

Mine is too an all matching numbers model, and AFAIK magazines didn't come with a serial number.

I miss a good bayo and oiler for it though, might have to get me one at some point! The SMLE looks SO good with the bayo on!

Skoshi Tiger
09-16-2011, 08:51 AM
You've probably seen them before but here is the oiler and pull though that goes into the trap door in the smle's base.

http://i1042.photobucket.com/albums/b423/Skoshi_Tiger/SMLE003.jpg

Here is the oiler opened up with the top off.

http://i1042.photobucket.com/albums/b423/Skoshi_Tiger/SMLE004.jpg
( The rubber O-ring was added by me. it didn't have the original washer )

As always, it's the accessories that count! ( I've never actually used either, a cleaning rod is much more practical!)

Cheers!

Katana1000S
09-16-2011, 02:58 PM
I once bought a Martin Baker ejection seat from the local scrapyard (it was from a Buccaneer) for just £15, ended up giving it away.

Sternjaeger II
09-16-2011, 04:13 PM
I once bought a Martin Baker ejection seat from the local scrapyard (it was from a Buccaneer) for just £15, ended up giving it away.

*aviation junk hoarder mode ON*
Why?!?! :shock: