PDA

View Full Version : Little OT: World of Planes

wolf74
09-07-2011, 10:33 PM
Sorry for the OT, but i like several thing of this game. Notice the AA artillery, the moviment inside cockpit, the CR42 (ok i'm italian :o)....

http://www.spaziogames.it/videorecensioni_videogiochi/console_pc/8588/world-of-planes.aspx

MACADEMIC
09-07-2011, 10:54 PM
I think this works better...

MAC

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VTazV7Mizg&feature=feedf

JG52Krupi
09-07-2011, 11:15 PM
WOP = Dogfight Game

Il2:COD = WW2 Flight Sim

pupo162
09-07-2011, 11:18 PM
WOP = Dogfight Game

Il2:COD = WW2 Flight Sim

apples = green
New york = city

Uncalled facts = given.

@ OP

thanks for the video, looks promissing, speacially love the no POPUP of city buildings.

JG52Krupi
09-07-2011, 11:23 PM
apples = green
New york = city

Uncalled facts = given.

@ OP

thanks for the video, looks promissing, speacially love the no POPUP of city buildings.

LOL no more pop up buildings with the latest patch TOOL.

This thread was put here to antagonize... so screw you all trolls.

pupo162
09-07-2011, 11:44 PM
LOL no more pop up buildings with the latest patch TOOL.

This thread was put here to antagonize... so screw you all trolls.

oh really? mind posting a screen shot of london ?

and dispite waht you may think, some people care about other games and apreciate some news on them.

TomcatViP
09-08-2011, 12:43 AM
The art of making movies had its Bollywood

Now it's confirmed that simulation has its "Gajinwood"

SEE
09-08-2011, 01:29 AM
Any title that widens the market potential for combat flightsims can only be a good thing. I started on Birds of Prey for the Xbox and as result of that bought a PC and installed Il21946 and of course - CloD. I know quite a few who started on the arcade level titles and moved up a notch or two ...or three!

Madfish
09-08-2011, 01:35 AM
and dispite waht you may think, some people care about other games and apreciate some news on them.

It's simply rude to post an eventually direct competitor in this forum. Post about space flight, WW1 or the middle ages - but don't go to a mercedes forum posting about the new audi.

Personally I couldn't care less about this money printing machine, eh what you call game.

Being fed little maps and planes with hitpoints and experience bars. Also premium ammo and exp booster packs and other pearls of the free to play marketing world. Don't make me laugh. If you have that much time to waste and like to be chained and enslaved like this then please go ahead. Also please make sure to level up your tanks in World of Tankgrind before and if you're done with that (should take a year or two) ,please do the same in World of Battleships and then finally World of Planes.

To each his own but, and excuse my rude tone, it's just not very nice to discuss and advertise a direct competitor here. And trust me, we'll see enough ads about this game very soon... :rolleyes:

Maybe I'm completely wrong with this but then again, my guts tell me I'm not.

pupo162
09-08-2011, 10:52 AM
It's simply rude to post an eventually direct competitor in this forum. Post about space flight, WW1 or the middle ages - but don't go to a mercedes forum posting about the new audi.

Maybe I'm completely wrong with this but then again, my guts tell me I'm not.

NO. its not. its actually mor ethan appropriate. I go to a Fender forum, and we have daily psots on gibson guitars.

People who are interested in flight sims have curiosity on differente products who are related. And as jg52 Krupi so usefully posted, they only share the fact they have planes, other than that one his a shoot everithing that moves the other is a simulation. Noone in their sane mind who wants a simulation would give up COD for WOP, or the other way around.

xnomad
09-08-2011, 12:42 PM
Competition is a good thing, it helps to keep everyone on their toes, and it can inspire each party to innovate and also learn from each other. I say bring it on, it's not in the General Discussion Forum so I think it's ok to post it here.

Madfish
09-08-2011, 01:24 PM
NO. its not. its actually mor ethan appropriate. I go to a Fender forum, and we have daily psots on gibson guitars.

People who are interested in flight sims have curiosity on differente products who are related. And as jg52 Krupi so usefully posted, they only share the fact they have planes, other than that one his a shoot everithing that moves the other is a simulation. Noone in their sane mind who wants a simulation would give up COD for WOP, or the other way around.

Maybe, maybe not. Actually WoP reminds me of IL-2 1946. The same selection of planes and theaters at least.

Regarding how different they are I'm not so sure either. Sorry. Right now IL-2 CloD has literally no campaign. It's a pure dogfighting simulation with more content added by fans but that content usually is not a deep story campaign with videos and voice acting either.

So regarding that they are basically the same.

Yes, mechanics might be different and eventually the fidelity of the flight model will be too. But I'm always struggeling with "realism" because only a very tiny fragment is realistic, even in CloD. No one can really re-create or simulate the times back then. Only the FM and that is apparently a struggle to get right, judging from the many posts going on about the issues. :-P

What you're saying is probably partly true. To some degree. But on the other hand side it's not.
For example we have laws here, domiciliary rights basically. You can't for example go to a store and advertise your own product there. Even if it's just customers they'd get thrown out.
The same with many establishments - you can't just bring your own food with you and eat it. Maybe it's brutal but then again - a company can't exist from thin air.

The way things look we'll soon only see free to play couch potatoe titles anyways. They're just much more lucrative and people just love to spread the news and simply say: hey, just download it, it's free! Maybe I'm too involved in the industry to overlook the dangers. So yeah, both sides have something to it I guess - I just get a very nasty feeling in my stomach seeing this.

Jotaele
09-08-2011, 01:34 PM
Im agree that like an arcade game could not be on my interest to play it, but must see it has many good points and things to learn from in the graphical aspect.

IE: did you noticed the volumetric clouds, and the volumetric cloud in take on helicopters? I remember than in less than 1 year i asked in this forum for this kind of cloud to have others simmers oppinions, and the most of them said that this tecnology would decrease the fps to unplayable levels, other said that this kind of cloud were ugly.I think this clouds are the future and clod should use it as soon as posible.

Ali Fish
09-08-2011, 01:38 PM
you cant be a developers in a genre and be at the top of your game without paying attention to what luthier has coigned the "competition"

Its all good. and for good reason.

Doc_uk
09-08-2011, 02:19 PM
Looks quite good, but i wont be getting it, if i cant fly through the tree's:rolleyes:

SEE
09-08-2011, 02:37 PM
Actually WoP reminds me of IL-2 1946. The same selection of planes and theaters at least.

The first Gaigin title 'IL2 Sturmovik - Birds of Prey' (for consoles) and then later transported to PC as 'Wings of Prey' was based on the IL2 Engine. Gaigin dumbed down the FM and stitched their graphics engine onto it.

You need to read Olegs views on why he felt that this translation was a step in the right direction.

Interestingly, 'Birds of Steel' for consoles is due to be released and this is based on the Pacific theatre and more than likely based on the Il2 Pacific fighters engine since Gaigin probaably had access to that as well.

DD_crash
09-08-2011, 03:19 PM
If that is true it will be interesting to see if NG products are "featured" and what ships are there. I saw that the Avenger has been released for FSX.

JG52Krupi
09-08-2011, 03:34 PM
The first Gaigin title 'IL2 Sturmovik - Birds of Prey' (for consoles) and then later transported to PC as 'Wings of Prey' was based on the IL2 Engine. Gaigin dumbed down the FM and stitched their graphics engine onto it.

You need to read Olegs views on why he felt that this translation was a step in the right direction.

Interestingly, 'Birds of Steel' for consoles is due to be released and this is based on the Pacific theatre and more than likely based on the Il2 Pacific fighters engine since Gaigin probaably had access to that as well.

I was under the impression that they were going to use the il2 engine but in the end used there own!

addman
09-08-2011, 04:00 PM
I chuckle every time I read a thread like this. The usual mob swinging their pitchforks in the air "HERESY HERESY!!". I enjoy a proper home cooked dinner, it takes time and labour to make but it's rewarding, I also enjoy a quick, greasy kebab/pizza/hamburger sometimes. Why must one bash the other? It's narrow minded, ignorant and just plain childish IMO. Also look in the grand perspective of things, these kind of games creates interest in the sim genre for people looking for a deeper experience. What's with the fear and bashing? It boggles my mind.

JG52Krupi
09-08-2011, 04:13 PM
I chuckle every time I read a thread like this. The usual mob swinging their pitchforks in the air "HERESY HERESY!!". I enjoy a proper home cooked dinner, it takes time and labour to make but it's rewarding, I also enjoy a quick, greasy kebab/pizza/hamburger sometimes. Why must one bash the other? It's narrow minded, ignorant and just plain childish IMO. Also look in the grand perspective of things, these kind of games creates interest in the sim genre for people looking for a deeper experience. What's with the fear and bashing? It boggles my mind.

I know i should have an open mind it but I am negative for this game not because of what it represent but because of the trolls that come out of the wood work and say how it's a better sim than il2, they are completely different.

If you go on simhq much you will know what I mean.

addman
09-08-2011, 04:45 PM
I know i should have an open mind it but I am negative for this game not because of what it represent but because of the trolls that come out of the wood work and say how it's a better sim than il2, they are completely different.

If you go on simhq much you will know what I mean.

But it might be better than IL-2 in some ways, at the same time IL-2 might be better at some other things. Really though, there is no "better" in this case as there is no comparison because these are two totally different experiences aiming at totally different things, they probably aren't in competition with each other. This is truly a case of apple vs oranges, there can't be a winner arguing over these two games...IMHO of course.

Madfish
09-08-2011, 05:08 PM

Your post is probably the most childish and bashing in the entire thread.

Also I fail to follow your logic there. Why do you assume an eventually more shallow copy of a flight sim creates interest for other games in that genre?
I wish it were true but it's not and I'd ask you to provide some insight into that wisdom of yours and also eventually some numbers.
If it were true we would have no issues with this genre at all. See Altitude, Dog Fighter, Hammerfight, Wings of Prey, H.A.W.X., Battlefield 2, Bad Company 2, Call of Duty etc.

Also I wouldn't exactly call it fear. What I was saying is sadly nothing but the truth and if you ask professionals in the industry you'll quickly come to realize that the "free to play" business is the most profitable segment of the gaming industry currently with companies offering f2p games often outperforming direct sale or subscription competitors in the same genre by the factor 2 to 5.

But then again, this is also directly the reason why I said this forum here is probably not the place to advertise this direct competitor. I find it generally disturbing but obviously others will obviously give an opinion - either liking or disliking the title.

Hunden
09-08-2011, 05:37 PM
Any title that widens the market potential for combat flightsims can only be a good thing. I started on Birds of Prey for the Xbox and as result of that bought a PC and installed Il21946 and of course - CloD. I know quite a few who started on the arcade level titles and moved up a notch or two ...or three!

Same here, started with the free down load of wop on ps3 or was that Bop.

Robotic Pope
09-08-2011, 06:34 PM

Also I fail to follow your logic there. Why do you assume an eventually more shallow copy of a flight sim creates interest for other games in that genre?
I wish it were true but it's not and I'd ask you to provide some insight into that wisdom of yours and also eventually some numbers.
If it were true we would have no issues with this genre at all. See Altitude, Dog Fighter, Hammerfight, Wings of Prey, H.A.W.X., Battlefield 2, Bad Company 2, Call of Duty etc.

Also I wouldn't exactly call it fear. What I was saying is sadly nothing but the truth and if you ask professionals in the industry you'll quickly come to realize that the "free to play" business is the most profitable segment of the gaming industry currently with companies offering f2p games often outperforming direct sale or subscription competitors in the same genre by the factor 2 to 5.

But then again, this is also directly the reason why I said this forum here is probably not the place to advertise this direct competitor. I find it generally disturbing but obviously others will obviously give an opinion - either liking or disliking the title.

Madfish you are acting like a childish fanboy. What addman has said is the truth and you have people here telling you that they are the proof that you are wrong. Please grow up.

baronWastelan
09-08-2011, 06:39 PM

Same here, except replace 'Birds of Prey for the Xbox' with 'Blue Max for Atari 800', and also replace 'Il21946' with 'Aces of the Pacific'.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFoXUDoNfzM

addman
09-08-2011, 06:48 PM

How can I be bashing and being childish when I asked of people to act more rational and open minded? You're being childish by calling me childish, and now you forced me to behave childishly to prove my point, my point being that you where responding to my post in a childish manner. Anywho, it's your opinion and that's cool by me.:cool:

P.S Note how "open-mindedly" I ended my post there, try it sometimes it makes you feel all cozy inside ;)

Madfish
09-09-2011, 01:03 AM
Madfish you are acting like a childish fanboy. What addman has said is the truth and you have people here telling you that they are the proof that you are wrong. Please grow up.
Yes I will daddy. Please tell me when I'm old enough to be allowed to post my opinion. :)

All fun aside, and I hope you were joking - calling me a fanboy would be... extremely odd.
I can guarantee you there is a great chance that I have more of these "casual" flight games than you or most of the people in this thread. At least I own all of those I listed above as examples (and many, many others, but whatever).
I'm not against casual games at all and I'm certainly not a fanboy of this game just because I feel it's worth pointing out the oddness of advertising an eventually direct competitor here. 90% of the time I play co-op titles these days, no matter what genre.

But thanks for contributing so maturely.

@addman
Instead of insulting me again, and yes, your post was the one that started the bashing... could you just read and actually discuss instead? I haven't seen you answering my question for example:
So yes, aside from cannibalizing potential markets... are there any cases like that you can comment on? Because I don't know of any.
I know of many in the mainstream markets - but not in side genre like space shooters, sims etc.

And calling everyone "the mob" "narrow minded, ignorant and just plain childish " is certainly not bashing and I'm very childish for pointint that out yes? Maybe you should actually re-read what you posted. Thank you very much.

But then again, this thread seems to derail even further with each post and obviously even questions go unanswered - aside from being insulted that is. I'm not against casual games and I certainly am not trying to tell others what to do. I do however question some companies decisions to exploit and cannibalize smaller market sectors to rake in the money and I'm also questioning what good that will do for the genre in general.
And yes, I know that there are exeptions. There will always be exeptions. But then again, so many genres died. Not because there aren't exeptions but because they aren't profitable enough. For example if you take a look at how many people are posting here that they feel cheated for paying 50 bucks for CloD... you can imagine how dangerous the situation is can you? It's not about those 10 people moving up to IL-2 from Wings of Prey. It's about the 100.000 not buying CloD. And partly responsible is the situation of not having infinite cash to make a sim that doesn't sell nearly as good as even the most mediocre titles out there.
That said it's odd how you expect others to tolerate your opinion even if you call them names while trampeling over theirs.

So either we have a manner issue here or maybe this just isn't the right forum after all? ;)

SEE
09-09-2011, 01:47 AM
Madfish, whatever your opinion regards discussing alternative titles, the OP has abided by the rules set out in the 'sticky'. I am sure that if there were any problems with his post it would have been deleted.

It appears that there aren't!

Robotic Pope
09-09-2011, 02:21 AM
Yes I will daddy. Please tell me when I'm old enough to be allowed to post my opinion. :)

All fun aside, and I hope you were joking - calling me a fanboy would be... extremely odd.
I can guarantee you there is a great chance that I have more of these "casual" flight games than you or most of the people in this thread. At least I own all of those I listed above as examples (and many, many others, but whatever).
I'm not against casual games at all and I'm certainly not a fanboy of this game just because I feel it's worth pointing out the oddness of advertising an eventually direct competitor here. 90% of the time I play co-op titles these days, no matter what genre.

But thanks for contributing so maturely.

@addman
Instead of insulting me again, and yes, your post was the one that started the bashing... could you just read and actually discuss instead? I haven't seen you answering my question for example:

So yes, aside from cannibalizing potential markets... are there any cases like that you can comment on? Because I don't know of any.
I know of many in the mainstream markets - but not in side genre like space shooters, sims etc.

And calling everyone "the mob" "narrow minded, ignorant and just plain childish " is certainly not bashing and I'm very childish for pointint that out yes? Maybe you should actually re-read what you posted. Thank you very much.

But then again, this thread seems to derail even further with each post and obviously even questions go unanswered - aside from being insulted that is. I'm not against casual games and I certainly am not trying to tell others what to do. I do however question some companies decisions to exploit and cannibalize smaller market sectors to rake in the money and I'm also questioning what good that will do for the genre in general.
And yes, I know that there are exeptions. There will always be exeptions. But then again, so many genres died. Not because there aren't exeptions but because they aren't profitable enough. For example if you take a look at how many people are posting here that they feel cheated for paying 50 bucks for CloD... you can imagine how dangerous the situation is can you? It's not about those 10 people moving up to IL-2 from Wings of Prey. It's about the 100.000 not buying CloD. And partly responsible is the situation of not having infinite cash to make a sim that doesn't sell nearly as good as even the most mediocre titles out there.
That said it's odd how you expect others to tolerate your opinion even if you call them names while trampeling over theirs.

So either we have a manner issue here or maybe this just isn't the right forum after all? ;)

I wasn't joking.
Also you need more information because you facts are wrong.

1. World of Planes is made by Gaijin (Wings of Prey, Apache Air Assault) not Wargaming.net (World of Tanks, World of WARplanes)
2. Gaijin do not have infinate cash . They are a small developer that make niche titles and there will probably be very little advertisment if any. They are in exactly the same position as MG. They are not going to rake in tons of cash. Obviously they hope to do well, but at their heart they themselves are fans of this genre.

Addman did not start the bashing. The bashing started right from the start of this thread by Krupi (Who takes every chance he has to bash WoP even when its totaly off topic).
It happens every thread that someone starts about World of planes. This on was even in the right section of the forum (where we can talk about anything we like by the way). This is not SIMHQ, what happens there cannot be used to allow rudeness here. The original poster was not "Advertising" he was only sharing his interest, it is not rude to do this. What was rude was you saying "Don't make me Laugh" and "if you want to waste your time..."

Madfish
09-09-2011, 02:51 AM
Madfish, whatever your opinion regards discussing alternative titles, the OP has abided by the rules set out in the 'sticky'. I am sure that if there were any problems with his post it would have been deleted.

It appears that there aren't!
I'm impressed. Didn't take long until the next guy comes, twisting my words and tries to provoke I guess?

I am not, especially in my last post, saying this thread is violating any forum rules. Since you posted since my first posts, where I indicated it might be odd to discuss a direct competitor here, then I wonder why you bring this up now, pretending I want this thread to be deleted?

The thing I pointed out was that apparently some people can't keep their calm without calling names and starting personal attacks. I have no problems discussing some points but instead of doing so names get thrown around.

The thing is that times have changed and while, and I even admitted that naturally there are examples of people that "switched" from arcade to real sim titles, this is not what the big numbers are about. Those few people are not what's feeding a development company over the years either.
The problem with market cannibalism can be seen looking at the MMO genre. Do you know how many MMO's wen't "free to play" just because they couldn't get a foot into the door since World of Warcraft? It's in the dozens.

But whatever, I'll just try avoid that topic and if it makes you, robo and addman happy I'll gladly let myself be called a childish, narrow minded, ignorant, scared mob and fanboy for the sake of mentioning that it's eventually bad taste to discuss this here, knowing how much of a threat that game could prove to be. :rolleyes:

But of course we all know that things in real life always turn out perfectly and that no product or title ever caused even almost unrelated products to be in deep trouble. See iPhone, World of Warcraft and many others... Yep.
Irony aside I only want to bring to the table that you cannot simply say it will help CloD. Eventually this could happen - eventually it'll turn out to be that threatening to the financial potential of CloD that we will not see any / many expansions at all. Just because they wouldn't sell in large numbers - maybe, maybe not.

The thing is that I belive only a minority has the equipment at home to play CloD well. E.g. for CEM, head tracking and more. It'd certainly help the title to prepare for the worst, being that WoP will prove to be a nemesis and making it necessary to provide a better tutorial, being more open to the casual players with a nice story campaign, even if it's fictional, and a great multiplayer interface even if the hyperlobby community is very established. Basically getting rid of a few (unecessary as I believe) weaknesses.
Oh and by the way; this includes the community! For example the trend to go full realism all the time. In theory CloD could be as arcade as any other sim out there if you turn off/on all the options necessary. But the problem with that is that it's not as refined for arcade and that the community is VERY very very unforgiving. The idea of arcade or a balanced gameplay even if that means sacrificing a little bit of authenticity is very unaccepted. I remember a lot of occasions where this happened

That said I'm not sure what causes all this name calling and (mis)judging of people. I wonder if you guys would act like that just sitting together at a table or a bar. ;)

SEE
09-09-2011, 03:14 AM
I didn't mean to imply you wanted it deleted Madfish - that would be misleading. You felt it was rude and impolite to discuss another title. I was simply pointing out that it didn't violate the rules in content or context.

The forum has become more liberal and tolerant, there was a time when unofficial Mod discussions were prohibited (IL1946) so the forum is somewhat different now. Threads that are offensive or rude are deleted or at least edited.

I am not getting at you - simply saying its OK to discuss other titles without feeling disloyal to CloD or being considered rude.

Madfish
09-09-2011, 03:27 AM
I wasn't joking.
Also you need more information because you facts are wrong.

1. World of Planes is made by Gaijin (Wings of Prey, Apache Air Assault) not Wargaming.net (World of Tanks, World of WARplanes)
2. Gaijin do not have infinate cash . They are a small developer that make niche titles and there will probably be very little advertisment if any. They are in exactly the same position as MG. They are not going to rake in tons of cash. Obviously they hope to do well, but at their heart they themselves are fans of this genre.

Addman did not start the bashing. The bashing started right from the start of this thread by Krupi (Who takes every chance he has to bash WoP even when its totaly off topic).
It happens every thread that someone starts about World of planes. This on was even in the right section of the forum (where we can talk about anything we like by the way). This is not SIMHQ, what happens there cannot be used to allow rudeness here. The original poster was not "Advertising" he was only sharing his interest, it is not rude to do this. What was rude was you saying "Don't make me Laugh" and "if you want to waste your time..."

You must be joking again: I'm seriously willing to bet on that I own more casual flight games then you. I'm really not a fanboy. :-P

I know Wings of Prey is not related to World of Tanks, World of Warplanes or World of Battleships (or World of Warcraft to continue the joke).
That doesn't change the fact that a lot of companies are exploiting this very same trend. World of something, Free to Play, from what I heard level system, locked content etc.

WoPl is not final and maybe my selection of words was a bit too harsh at first. But Gaijin entertainment is... well, let's say not an unexperienced newcomer.
They know exactly what they are doing (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaijin_Entertainment) and they aren't financially crippled either. I cannot guarantee numbers but I'd guess on the console alone Wings of Prey sold better than IL-2 on the pc.

You're right though; exactly because I played the games I do know what to expect and commented on it openly. Some people might have misunderstood the flow of context I guess or maybe I didn't explain it properly enough.
I'm very unsure if they are fans of this genre to be honest. But I can tell you that Gaijin puts out a lot more ads than IL-2 ever saw. And this is very sad considering IL-2 is published by Ubisoft...

I definately agree with you on one thing though: it's a damn gamble. Everyone coming out with all these games about the same thing but 2 of 3 having models more or less tuned to make cash over everything is a little scary to me. Even if you say they (Gaijin) like the genre we all know how it ended. With literally dead games and no support. We also know what to expect from Wargaming and their current World of Tanks title.

I also know what the aftermath of this slaughter could be. Maybe I'm just too involved into the industry not only as a hobby alone to be blindfolded in that regard. But then again, maybe it's best to just sit it out and see what happens.
Market cannibalization is a very very nasty thing though. And coupled with a community of hyenas here it is a very frightening state. You still hear people talking about either offline mode, fighting over FMs or sticking with "old school" until the death of the series. I once suggested innovative multiplayer modes only to be laughed at. The new generation isn't "hyperlobby" though.
That's just what get's me thinking.