PDA

View Full Version : Take On Helicopters

r0bc
09-02-2011, 04:47 PM
Anyone following this.
I really looking forward to it, I thought best part of FSX for me was helicopters and love DCS BlackShark.

http://takeonthegame.com/

Iku_es
09-02-2011, 05:38 PM
Looks promising. Bookmarked.

But I don't trust rotary wings...they are meant to fall out the sky ;-)

Madfish
09-02-2011, 06:27 PM
Very unlikely. Thanks to autorotation they fall out of the sky much safer than any aircraft. :-P

It looks interesting though, I will buy it. Thanks.

TomcatViP
09-02-2011, 07:06 PM
If this is true I'll be crying :-D:-D:-D

I hope they will add a Pitts and a nice legged female pilots:cool:

Sternjaeger II
09-03-2011, 02:43 PM
Very unlikely. Thanks to autorotation they fall out of the sky much safer than any aircraft. :-P

It looks interesting though, I will buy it. Thanks.

unless they lose a blade that is.. ;-)

whoarmongar
09-03-2011, 03:02 PM
or a tail rotor

whoarmongar
09-03-2011, 03:11 PM
Actually this game is just Arma2 +, by the looks of it. I havn`t played it tho perhaps I will d/l the beta, interestingly it ALREADY has a trackIr profile, it seems most of the beta feedback has been about axis sensitivity. Good old Bohemia,enthusiast gamemakers who are still enthusiastic about their "product" and appreciate the mod communities efforts to improve the games they produce. In fact a lot of Bohemias latest ideas seem to be copies of things that modders have produced.

el0375
09-03-2011, 03:17 PM
@madfish, may i ask why?

whoarmongar
09-03-2011, 06:57 PM
because with autorotation you use the speed to keep the rotor turning , then pull collective to dump the speed when near the ground, it calls for nice timing and you only get one shot at it. chopper tends to hit the ground hard tho in many cases and theres no damping built into the landing gear so serious injuries ie broken backs and trapping by collapsed seats etc tend to occur. Personally I think choppers are flying death traps and would rather take my chances in a fixed wing with the option to baleout or eject.

Madfish
09-04-2011, 01:15 AM
Well, helis can emergency land better than other aircraft, even if their engine fails. You don't need a runway and you can go down almost everywhere "safely". Even if it means destroying the machine itself. With the exeption of a volcano maybe. With a plane you need to reach a runway or you're in big trouble.

What whoamongar says is partially correct - although not fully. Most modern helis do have very developed landing gear - it's also possible to eject or bail out but rarely done. Have you ever seen people eject out of airliners or smaller sport planes? I haven't. In fact I hear of dead people in sport plane accidents all the time. It's very very common.
The same goes for helicopters though. Sadly most of them don't have any ejection technology, only military ones can simply blast off the rotors and then eject the pilots. One thing with smaller aircraft and helis is also their low altitude. Bailing out may be possible but still deadly.

You're much more maneuverable though. It really feels as if they belong into the sky - like an animal or something. But in the end it's up to taste I guess - humans all feel very differently about that it appears. :-P

brando
09-04-2011, 11:32 AM
What do the fixed-wing pilots say? Oh yes, helo's are so fugly that the earth repels them. :D

pupo162
09-04-2011, 04:16 PM
Well, helis can emergency land better than other aircraft, even if their engine fails. You don't need a runway and you can go down almost everywhere "safely". Even if it means destroying the machine itself. With the exeption of a volcano maybe. With a plane you need to reach a runway or you're in big trouble.

What whoamongar says is partially correct - although not fully. Most modern helis do have very developed landing gear - it's also possible to eject or bail out but rarely done. Have you ever seen people eject out of airliners or smaller sport planes? I haven't. In fact I hear of dead people in sport plane accidents all the time. It's very very common.
The same goes for helicopters though. Sadly most of them don't have any ejection technology, only military ones can simply blast off the rotors and then eject the pilots. One thing with smaller aircraft and helis is also their low altitude. Bailing out may be possible but still deadly.

You're much more maneuverable though. It really feels as if they belong into the sky - like an animal or something. But in the end it's up to taste I guess - humans all feel very differently about that it appears. :-P

if an engine stops on a helo, it goes down like a rock, no chance for an emergency landing

Herbs107
09-05-2011, 02:14 AM
Here is another Heli sim to look out for:

http://www.combat-helo.co.uk/

xnomad
09-05-2011, 02:53 AM
if an engine stops on a helo, it goes down like a rock, no chance for an emergency landing

Sorry no it doesn't what are you basing your statement on?
Look it up:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autorotation
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2a9H8Xw8Mo

r0bc
09-05-2011, 03:05 AM
Here is another Heli sim to look out for:

http://www.combat-helo.co.uk/

That looks good....thanks

Madfish
09-06-2011, 12:19 PM
Looks good indeed. For some reason I can't access their videos though. Only the last one works the other say they're private?

Sven
09-06-2011, 02:28 PM

A good friend of mine would have been dead if your statement is correct. He's not dead, neither was he injured.

I can't recall exactly how he did it but it comes down to this: The pilot will have to perform a very tricky manoeuvre which would really turn you stomach upside down. Firstly when the engine cuts out he lowered the collective pitch so that the blades picked up RPM fast, at the same time the heli will start losing height fast. At the very last moment the pilot jams the pitch up and the heli starts to quickly recover from the fall, and then the pilot lands the heli.

There's more ways to do it I believe, but a pilot could answer that better.

Ali Fish
09-06-2011, 02:59 PM
A good friend of mine would have been dead if your statement is correct. He's not dead, neither was he injured.

I can't recall exactly how he did it but it comes down to this: The pilot will have to perform a very tricky manoeuvre which would really turn you stomach upside down. Firstly when the engine cuts out he lowered the collective pitch so that the blades picked up RPM fast, at the same time the heli will start losing height fast. At the very last moment the pilot jams the pitch up and the heli starts to quickly recover from the fall, and then the pilot lands the heli.

indeed, a fun manoever in dcs black shark too.

ScottDmac
09-23-2011, 06:20 PM
So what’s the best helicopter simulation software out there?
I fly in them at times.
Sometimes they have duel controls.

I have in the past taken a hue controls till doggy bags where past out so I need to work on my perfection….

pupo162
09-23-2011, 07:35 PM

didnt know this was possible. very nice.

still pick a plane and a helli, and deprive both of them of their props and engines and drop them at 2k metrs one of them will have a better time than the other. My point is planes fly, helis try to stay uo in the air. Never liked helos for that. :)

Madfish
09-23-2011, 08:12 PM
didnt know this was possible. very nice.

still pick a plane and a helli, and deprive both of them of their props and engines and drop them at 2k metrs one of them will have a better time than the other. My point is planes fly, helis try to stay uo in the air. Never liked helos for that. :)
How about you also deprive the plane of it's wings as the rotors ARE the helicopters wings. :rolleyes:

There is no way that planes or helicopters spawn at that altitude and just fall down. And if a helicopter reaches that altitude and it's hydraulics system or engine fails it will be able to get to the ground if the pilot is trained.

The point is that both vehicles work differently and have different strenghts and weaknesses. That also goes for rockets and other stuff as well.
Just because helicopters work differently it doesn't mean they are worse than a plane.

ScottDmac
09-24-2011, 04:00 PM
I have fallen asleep in the suicide seats in the hue. At first you couldn’t take me away from this venture … after it was sleepy time. I’d be asleep in seconds after takeoff … sooth sound all around.
Heli drilling.. bit ago.

I still deal with long lines

ScottDmac
09-24-2011, 04:05 PM
I'm just braggin like my picture of me in a helicopter ... Can't explain but need more duel controls weeeee

Katana1000S
09-24-2011, 11:30 PM
I like what I've seen so far.

ScottDmac
10-04-2011, 02:36 AM
Katana what did you like?

sorak
10-04-2011, 04:34 AM
i allways wanted some helicopters to implemented in the IL2 series. Before this game was released they showed pics of a gyro copter that was going to be in it.. I sure hope it still makes it in it one day.. And i REALLY hope that one day in future expansions they will add fully helicopters also in this game.. Its a dream

Flying a helicopter is so much more complex then planes.

1.JaVA_Sharp
10-05-2011, 12:06 PM
grabbing the preorder Beta as I type this...

r0bc
10-16-2011, 09:01 AM
I ordered it a couple days ago when the pre order came out on Steam.
Anyone try the beta? I haven't had time yet.

pupo162
10-16-2011, 09:18 AM
How about you also deprive the plane of it's wings as the rotors ARE the helicopters wings. :rolleyes:

There is no way that planes or helicopters spawn at that altitude and just fall down. And if a helicopter reaches that altitude and it's hydraulics system or engine fails it will be able to get to the ground if the pilot is trained.

The point is that both vehicles work differently and have different strenghts and weaknesses. That also goes for rockets and other stuff as well.
Just because helicopters work differently it doesn't mean they are worse than a plane.

if we enter the area of opinion, yes its possible. and in my opinion helos are worse, and just not my thingy.

trumps
10-16-2011, 11:52 AM
The only reason helicopters fly is that they are so unnatural that even the earth rejects them! ;)

1.JaVA_Sharp
10-20-2011, 06:38 PM
Bohemia really seems to believe in their product. Two patches for the beta.....

1.JaVA_Sharp
10-29-2011, 07:38 AM
I've got the full version installed since thursday.

first impression; it works (sorry it's just that I can't really say the same about Clod)

graphically speaking its a modified Arma2 engine, and it isn't that hard to tell that it is. However, when it comes down to flight modelling this is a surprisingly challenging sim. And that's just after barely touching the training missions......

here's a few pit pics

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v76/sharpe26/TakeOnH2011-10-2822-10-01-15.png

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v76/sharpe26/TakeOnH2011-10-2822-18-08-36.png

Ali Fish
10-29-2011, 09:34 PM
Fantastic adaptation for BIS. great game ! if that SDK doesnt hurry up for il2. im jumping ship.

r0bc
10-30-2011, 02:51 AM
I'm really impressed to be honest but I wish we had some light/medium Eurocopters.
Maybe when the SDK is released, I'd buy them if they were DLC.

1.JaVA_Sharp
10-30-2011, 07:11 AM
I'm really impressed to be honest but I wish we had some light/medium Eurocopters.

I don't foresee a ROF style expansion for this. Those Eurocopters will either be mods or part of a bigger expansion, somewhere in the future.

Tbone81
10-30-2011, 12:00 PM
Downloading now;-)

Looking forward to try it out.

1.JaVA_Sharp
10-30-2011, 03:49 PM
guys, try and remember your first carrier landings in il2 or other sims. Then try and do a pinnacle landing on top of a skyscraper......

kyletiernan
10-30-2011, 03:57 PM
Honestly i am dissapointed with the game, its basically arma except you only fly helicopters and the terrain looks very low res and the helicopters are a bit better but to me not as fun as the heli's in arma 2.

Ali Fish
10-30-2011, 09:37 PM
No SDK for TOH, but there are the BiS tools. official modding tools already available for arma2/TOH

I'm really impressed to be honest but I wish we had
some light/medium Eurocopters.

&

The flight model isnt just from arma2, the flight model is derived from this. http://www.rtdynamics.com/v2/wp/2008/rotorlib-fdm/

1.JaVA_Sharp
11-01-2011, 09:54 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v76/sharpe26/TakeOnH2011-11-0122-35-31-24.png

coming in for a landing, in downtown Seattle...

Skoshi Tiger
11-03-2011, 08:14 AM
Why would you want a game when we all be able to afford to own a real one very soon!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L75ESD9PBOw&feature=player_embedded

Yes! That does look like an exercise ball underneath to absorb the impact! You gotta love those crazy Germans!!!

Cheers ;)

TomcatViP
11-03-2011, 09:20 AM
For sure brave they are !

The software and light ctrl law seems to hve been an interesting challenge they hve passed with some success, but the structure design and the lack of safety measures are at least concerning.

Don't take me wrong I am pulling my hat to them