PDA

View Full Version : Critical hit and item bonus for special attacks

Mytic
08-30-2011, 09:49 AM
Hey guys,
does a mod exists which changes the special attacks of the units?

It is unbelievable annoying to use the special attacks like Execution with Drill and Whip of Isshara and the base attack is more than Execution PLUS chance for critical hit (50% more on it), or Snakes long hit with Royal Snake Ring and Assasins dagger (+4 poison damage) and critical hit. The only attacks that are superior to the base attacks no matter which artifacts you have are elf's double shot and canoneer's salvo). I know that some special attacks do change with items - Smashing hit from Swordsmen gain bonus from items, as well Demonhell from Unicorns or Knights Circular Blow -- but still they do not benefit from critical hits)

Not implementing the critical hit and the special bonuses from items makes special attacks less powerful than base attack in many cases. I know that item bonuses is hardcoded and I am sure only line of proggraming in the exe file makes the difference (like "if not Attack.is_base_attack() then" and that could be changed - even from the original programmers if they have the permission and the good will to do so in 10 minutes and than release it with a patch - I love patches for games one year after the final version that change small but important things like that) So pretty please :)

Fatt_Shade
08-30-2011, 10:29 AM
You hit big problem in this game, any time playing high crit% i absolutely skip unit special attacks. Same would go for crit on spells, but they arent limited with int, like att/def to 300% gain or decrease in bonus. But making this in game would rly change something against AI since no matter how big stacks you almost always can defeat them with 0 loss, or near enough.
But i wouldnt hope for this change, as much for some kind or multiplayer like HoMM serial. AI enemy just skip bunch of tactics, and little strategies that human opponent would use.
So i would ask for dev`s for little effort toward multiplayer, instead getting crit to special attacks/spells :-D

Mytic
08-30-2011, 07:58 PM
Hey my friend,
if the devs want something to be improved they will. I am playing from months with a mod made by my brother who never published it, it was stated somewhere here on the forum, but he quit developing it further because he was promoted at work and no time for playing... He made some special abilities like magic shield, bless or cure, summon bear or others to push the unit to act again at the end of turn after all other creatures but can only attack, not use a special ability again and he tweaked the AI so these skills are used more often. You cant imagine the tactics the AI is using now, casting spells like crazy and making the game much more fun. He couldnt finish the part I am asking about so my hopes were someone to tweak the exe file in this direction because it is hardcoded, not in the files that are with open code.Actually he made the bonuses from items to stack with special attacks but there is a problem when the creature is scoring a critical hit - then the damage done is not correct, it is slightly lower than it is supposed to be, dont know why, neither he, it is exactly one point of damage per creature in the stack lower, but if you add this to the damage than the regular damage is higher than it is supposed to be. Somewhere there is a hidden formula that changes this.

The AI can be tweaked as which abilities the computer uses. And we have to keep in mind that the AI doesnt have the skill level that Amelie has, and someabilities are unique - so you are right, this could be changed only in multiplayer.

When looking at Heroes 6 and the direction it goes, I am really sad that Katauri is not the programmer of it, they did splendid job with KB and only if they are allowed somehow to use cities and buildings in the game, than KB will be rulling.

Mytic
08-30-2011, 10:16 PM
Actually I finally got it, I asked my brother and he wrote something that seems to work, I will publish it until the end of the next week, but all numbers seem to be correct, all special abilities work with items (the code is manually adding all items, so if someone uses new items the code has to be changed) and the crit damage is done with special abilities as well.
It seems I just had to ask :)

Fatt_Shade
08-31-2011, 09:02 AM
About that mod you play never got published, is it by any chanse The Rider`s orcs on the march new generation mod ? I saw that tread and there are some nice new ideas, but he never did finish/publish it :-(
And for you`r plan to place tihs change here it would be nice to see it, i`d like to check how it`s done, to try to make some of my ideas in game.