PDA

View Full Version : any game to improve your english?

raaaid
08-18-2011, 12:00 PM
when i was a kid it was fashionable to use a home radio to learn english

im improving my english quite much with forums

but what about the spoken english?

anybody any game in which you speak a lot via mic online?

Ali Fish
08-18-2011, 12:24 PM
everygame ! ventrillo, Teamspeak, steam voice chat even.

my dutch buddy couldnt speak english to good, untill he started talking with naturally english speakers, now his english is remarkably better than any of ours lol....

Vengeanze
08-18-2011, 01:25 PM
I once wanted to appear like a kewl guy that knew american slang so wrote in the squad forum something like "I shot down the enema".
My squadmates were so polite it took a couple of weeks before they enlightent me.
Now I know what an enema is. :-D

ATAG_Doc
08-18-2011, 02:56 PM
when i was a kid it was fashionable to use a home radio to learn english

im improving my english quite much with forums

but what about the spoken english?

anybody any game in which you speak a lot via mic online?

The best way is immersion. Fall in love with a beautiful girl that only speaks English. You will learn it.

Kongo-Otto
08-18-2011, 03:03 PM
The best way is immersion. Fall in love with a beautiful girl that only speaks English. You will learn it.

*cough* Swedish Girls are speaking only english nowadays? :-P;)

Vengeanze
08-18-2011, 04:10 PM
Maybe Raaaid is a girl?

raaaid
08-19-2011, 11:24 AM
oh no im boy

aged 37 but still a boy :)

TomcatViP
08-19-2011, 01:16 PM

Well might the age but lattely I don't speak that much the time I am with girls ;-)

Vengeanze
08-19-2011, 01:50 PM
Well might the age but lattely I don't speak that much the time I am with girls ;-)

Hehe, yeah, age.

Dac
08-19-2011, 04:29 PM
I play lots and lots of Pool.

Madfish
08-19-2011, 04:45 PM
I believe you don't need to speak to improve your language - just hearing and the capability of understanding benefits you as well.

You get really good at a language as soon as your brain starts to "think" in it. As soon as you don't need to translate anymore but words fluidly pop into your mind.

This said I also recommend hearing english and by that I mean hearing with the NEED to understand it. Not just listening to radio.

So, if you are interested to give it a shot I recommend a small and silly game to you: Blue Toad Murder Files - The Mysteries of Little Riddle

It's an adventure game, the genre I'd also recommend to you, and it forces you to understand what's being said due to the need to rely on that information to solve the game.
You said you're still a boy so I take it you either might have children or are adult enough to not find the game stupid. It's actually pretty fun if you play it with multiple players.

So if you get yourself some games, audio books etc. your spoken english might improve just by hearing how it's supposed to sound. If you then engage with real people on voice servers or similar you'll be picking up fast and probably master the spoken word better than the written one. ;p