PDA

View Full Version : Damaged bomber never drop landing gear when landing?

Iamsnip
08-15-2011, 09:05 PM
Ello,

One thing I've noticed when following a damaged bomber down ( camera view ) as I like to check out the damage effects - (superb in this game IMO) is that damaged bombers have never dropped landing gear -ever. Fighters have done esp when landing on their own AF, and bombers, but never when doing a emergency landing away from the AF.

I'm not talking about the damage wheel drop - where you've clearly nailed a hydr line - but the actual pilot operated wheel drop on landing.

Does COD do that for you as well? Or am I going mad....

Blackdog_kt
08-16-2011, 01:40 AM
If we're talking about landing off-base, then the sim simply follows real world operational guidelines.

Generally speaking, the widely accepted way to execute an emergency landing is with the landing gear up, especially if landing on terrain that might be rough and uneven, as opposed to a smooth runway.

The reason is simple, the wheels can snag all sorts of stuff and get blocked, bounce, burst tires or even bend and break a strut when landing on a field, which creates unpredictable scenarios (getting bounced up back in the air and the stalling into the ground, breaking a strut on one of the wheels and ending up in a ground loop, etc). Or they might just end up going over a ditch or another uneven feature in the terrain, which will result in the aircraft nosing over with potentially fatal results.

There's lot's of things that can go wrong depending on what might break and no definite way for the pilot to assume which one will happen (if it does). In other words, wheels up emergency landings are more predictable and that's why they are the standard method used: find a flat piece of ground, touch down and the aircraft will skid to a halt. ;-)

Iamsnip
08-16-2011, 07:04 PM
Cool - thanks for coming back Black - appreciated!