PDA

View Full Version : New Way to Bring Down Bombers?

EZ1
08-15-2011, 01:11 PM
I am still in the learning phase of CoD, but I have about 4+ years on IL-2 classic. The other day I was in one of the quick missions where I was in a Spil IIa defending against a group of bombers. I changed the default aircraft and selected one of the Italian bombers for the oponent. Durning the attack, I got a little too fast as out of control and colided squarely with one of the bombers. I heard a crunch, but then I was clear and totally undamaged. The plain I hit was in flaming chunks on it's way into the channel.

I have noticed that you can get a lot closer to other plains in CoD than in IL-2 classic. In many cases I thought I should have had a colission, but nothing happened.

I haven't seem much about this on the formum. It's bad enough that we can fly through tree, but other plains......

SNAFU
08-15-2011, 01:21 PM
Try the same with a 109... ;)

jojovtx
08-15-2011, 01:56 PM
I don't want to start an "the spit is uber" flame war but I have seen too many times a spit collide with plane X and plane X will disintegrate whilst the spit flies merrily along.

Graf
08-15-2011, 02:01 PM
Happened to me the other day while flying a 110. Collided with a Spit during a dogfight, ripped my port wing off and the Spit flew on as if nothing happened.

I smell something...

SNAFU
08-15-2011, 02:26 PM
The Bf109 is all I learnt to fly so far in CoD and in the beginnging (where I still am) I often break too late in scissors or bounces and find myself too close to my opponent. I usually draw the short one, while the Hurricane looses some parts too, but I never noticed a Spit getting seriously damaged by a collision. Further on I noticed the same this while endless hours in mission testing and watching AI fights. If you set AI fighters to bounce another group aof AI fighters from an heigth difference over 2000m, one of the bouncing AI regularly crashes into the other plane. I notice that the Spits often just slice through the other plane, without much harm, while the other plane explodes and gets cut ,while other planes like the Hurri, 109 or 110 would be similar effected as their collision opponent. I only tested with Spit 1, Hurricanses vs He115, Do215, Do17, He111, Ju88, Ju87, Bf110, Bf109 and I came to the conclusion that you should generally avoid getting close to Spits, if you are not flying one... :cool:

bw_wolverine
08-15-2011, 03:00 PM
The Spitfire is pretty much my plane of choice (mostly because it's the one I know how to fly effectively :P) and I have had collisions in which my plane has come off the worse. I've also had the collisions where my plane manages to survive the blow.

If there is some kind of damage issue here, I don't think it's as bad as 'Spitfires are indestructable in collisions!'. It could be that the Spitfire just has a slightly higher airframe collision damage threshold or something currently that seems off. Could do with some looking at/adjusting if playtests proove that the Spits are abnormally more 'crash-proof'.

But, no, you can't use the current Spitfire as a battering ram with impunity. I certainly don't recommend it :P

SNAFU
08-15-2011, 03:13 PM
No, sure, but the chances of getting well out of collisions with Spitfires seem to be higher, as far as I have noticed.

But that doesn´t matter, I can stick 50% of one 109 wing into a bomber and still be able to land in one piece with the rest of my plane.

41Sqn_Stormcrow
08-15-2011, 05:44 PM
So that evens the score :)

And as I fly a lot with Spits I killed a lot of my kites by getting too close loosing wings and stuff (I posted some pictures on the sturmo forum as you might have notived - or not, Snafu). Now as I currently switch to the 109 I do less collisions as I am now more proficient with the CoD FM.

Perhaps this might be the cause of your observation.

Another cause may be that distance seems to be different making Spitties believe that they are too close while they are not.

My impression however is that like IL2 the slower planes usually wins the collision fight.

TomcatViP
08-15-2011, 11:29 PM
Ramming a well flown 109 the other day after pouring in hundreds of .303 bullets at close range to finally get a PK, my hurri exploded in a mini-fireball with the other plane falling normally to earth with loose pieces.

I think it's an anti-careless-rammer device that correct one very annoying point of IL2. Bomber pilots will love it !

Rams (a human ctrlled plane) means blowing up

SNAFU
08-16-2011, 08:52 AM
As I wrote, I spent most of my CoD time in the FMB, watching AI fighting, and there I noticed that diving Spits more often fly through Stukas without much damage, while 109s bouncing a group of Spits usually loose 10-20% of their strength in the first bounce, due to collision with the Spits, while the Spits get out without much damage.

My online time is too limited, that I would really draw any serious conclusions from that for myself, but I was surprised a few times, about Spits with which I crashed together, just carried on as if nothing happend, while myself ending up in huge fire ball. And for now, I am mostly the guy low and slow, due to the fact that I don´t see anything from above and that flying the 109 in scissors is a real challange and fun. So I am usually the slower one of the 2 planes crashing. :-P

Skoshi Tiger
08-16-2011, 12:40 PM
I don't want to start an "the spit is uber" flame war but I have seen too many times a spit collide with plane X and plane X will disintegrate whilst the spit flies merrily along.

Easy way to test is to ram two spitfires together :)

jojovtx
08-16-2011, 01:40 PM
Easy way to test is to ram two spitfires together :)

Nice, I think I could even sell some tickets for that event.

Bulau
08-16-2011, 02:27 PM
This happened to me also, but I chalked it up to that old flight sim bug (happens a lot in 1946 also) where the aircraft that is going faster at the collision will survive, and the slower gets the damage.

esmiol
08-16-2011, 06:30 PM
my opinion: learn to fly guys and stop to use your fighter like a hammer... it is not his rules! :D :D :D

but more seriously. i never notice this... but maybe the spit structure is more resistant than other plane? no?

do you try different collision with different angle?

and for people who said that collision in 1946 depends of speed it is wrong;.. when two plane colide... both are damage... or depends of resistance of each plane.

Bulau
08-16-2011, 08:16 PM
...and for people who said that collision in 1946 depends of speed it is wrong;...
It's not wrong, Esmiol. It's well known bug and widely reported. I have several .ntrk showing this phenomenon...slower aircraft totally destroyed, faster one completely intact. It doesn't happen often, but it does happen.

41Sqn_Stormcrow
08-17-2011, 07:36 PM
Interestingly my observation was that the slower one gets away unharmed. At least I always got damaged when diving upon someone and misjudged the moment to disengage. Or this is how I remember ... perhaps wrong. But there had been definitely a speed thing there.

SNAFU
08-18-2011, 07:37 AM
For as long as I remember it was always the faster plane, which took more damage in 1946. The slower planes sometimes didn´t even notice the crash, while the faster one went up in a fireball or lost a wing etc. Don´t know about the mods though...