PDA

View Full Version : Hazards of high ping rates.

Skoshi Tiger
08-04-2011, 04:20 AM
Hi,

I was on syndicate last night with a ping of about 250ms and everything was working fine until a few other people joined the server taking the number of players up to about 6.

All of a sudden my response rate for my Hurricane suddenly dropped through the floor when a bandit got on my tail and I was shot down about 4 times in a row. It's a bit like flying through treacle, though I cant remember it happening in COD before. Also I got the sound bug for the first time in a while.

Il2 had a similar problem with large numbers of people on the server and playing with a high ping.

With the close of the only regular server close by I might have to move to bombers if I'm going to play online.

Anyone with similar experiences?

Cheers!

ATAG_Bliss
08-04-2011, 04:36 AM
IMO it's more of a game fault then a ping fault. There were quite a few people that flew online in the old sim with 56k's and high pings without much difficulty (from 1000's of miles away). I'm sure as things get optimized, especially the MP errors that cause instability, these types of problems will disappear.

It seems the network usage between old IL2 and the new is about the same (bandwidth wise). So I'd hazard a guess that, in due time, this type of situation will be gone. Next time you notice your ping going through the roof, open up the console and I bet you see a streaming set of error messages. These are messages that you'll see as a player. Now just imagine how many are happening in the DOS server window? Ping never mattered that much in the old one, (stable connection did) so I imagine it will be sorted, hopefully in some patches.