PDA

View Full Version : Stars

louisv
08-01-2011, 05:47 PM
Hi,

I don't know if anybody noticed, but the look of the night sky in CloD is pretty lame...

In 1940, you could see the Milky Way from pretty much anywhere but in the largest cities...and a ton of stars. Unlike today. Most people under 30 have no idea what a clear sky looks like (thanks to light pollution and social networks...)

From an airplane in a moonless night, you can actually navigate by the stars.

So I dumped files with kegetsy's, and I found a catalog of 9110 stars under _dump/Sky/stars, complete with all specifications like spectral (color) indications, magnitude, etc...wtf...:confused:

We have only seen the tip of the iceberg with this sim, the sky is clearly a placeholder as it is now, and we know the day sky is too (clouds and weather to come). And I remember the beautiful surf and waves and transparent water in old posts by Oleg. And other stuff no doubt...

So I will not even try for a mod, since we already have 9110 stars. The most beautiful skies you will ever see have less stars than that.

If the devs use only parts of that star catalog (say 1/4 of the stars with color and magnitude), it will be grand to fly at night.:shock:

Louis

skouras
08-01-2011, 10:51 PM
i've got 250 hours with the sim on steam and never put myself in night flying
i thing now is the moment to see what are you talking about....:grin: