PDA

View Full Version : Mods & Online play?

MadTommy
07-21-2011, 08:44 AM
Are any mods allowed to be used online?

Or are they all for offline play only?

Ze-Jamz
07-21-2011, 08:47 AM
Offline play mate..obviously you can use them online but you run the risk of having a permaban

JG1_Wanderfalke
07-21-2011, 09:56 AM
i always use them online

only sound mod ! of course

Ali Fish
07-21-2011, 12:45 PM
removed due to wrong information.
corrected

Most importantly, I need to mention something about Valve anti-cheat. Valve has their standard feature running on top of multiplayer, and we have some of our own additional checks. The way it works is not an automatic immediate server ban, but rather a data-gathering and review process resulting in eventual account ban from all multiplayer for the game.[/COLOR]

So while many of you may enjoy playing around with game content, please do so offline. We do not yet have the user interface for switching between modified and stock files, nor do we have the server GUI to allow/disallow custom content so that makes things a little more difficult for the players. We’re probably going to ignore any infractions before today, but we’ll become more aggressive in the coming days. Please be warned. There will be a wide-scale account ban once we identify a large number of culprits. Everyone will be banned simultaneously, with no prior warning or chance for redemption. If you do not wish to be made an example of, please do not use ANY modified files in any online matches.

After all, cracking the game is against the EULA and theoretically we could ban everyone who has ever tried any mod, but that of course would serve no purpose. Once again, we do not mind you fiddling with your own game on your own machine, as long as you don’t use that ability to try to give yourself an unfair advantage online.[COLOR=DarkRed]

MadTommy
07-21-2011, 03:54 PM
Thanks lads,

So official line 'Do not use them online'

But some are using them online and have not been banned.

Anyone know what a ban would entail? Just CloD or your whole steam account? (just for my curiosity)

Ze-Jamz
07-21-2011, 03:57 PM
Thanks lads,

So official line 'Do not use them online'

But some are using them online and have not been banned.

Anyone know what a ban would entail? Just CloD or your whole steam account? (just for my curiosity)

Read that post above that Ali quoted from Luthier....

but we’ll become more aggressive in the coming days. Please be warned. There will be a wide-scale account ban once we identify a large number of culprits

Ali Fish
07-21-2011, 05:02 PM
its carefully worded just enough to put you off modding for the time being. I have no doubt Luthier has never even given this aspect a second thought , his first thought is development.

IM positive i can remember another comment regards visual only changes and there will not be problems with that. i can not find that comment though.

a review process. if your reviewed as using scenery mods, then you have no issues. start taking advantage via weapons and or FM in the online arena and you should expect problems.

skouras
07-21-2011, 05:11 PM
heey Ali thanks for your work on the terrain
it's going to be an excellent mod :grin:
what about the soundmods online

Ali Fish
07-21-2011, 05:56 PM
well i deem sound mods like graphic mods, its just a cosmetic change. the real problem with mods is people using the concept to boost there abilities online into the realm of taking advantage by unfair means.

MadTommy
07-21-2011, 06:12 PM
Read that post above that Ali quoted from Luthier....

but we’ll become more aggressive in the coming days. Please be warned. There will be a wide-scale account ban once we identify a large number of culprits

I have read it, but it does not answer my question. Wide scale account ban is not clear to me, CloD account, Steam account?? By wide scale i assume he means numerous accounts, not wide scale on one account.. its just ambiguous to me, that's all.

Can a ban in one game get you banned from all other games on steam?

Korn
07-21-2011, 06:42 PM
How about using mods without using Steam multiplayer? I expect everything should be alright if i use direct connection to a non-steam server.

Ze-Jamz
07-21-2011, 07:58 PM
I have read it, but it does not answer my question. Wide scale account ban is not clear to me, CloD account, Steam account?? By wide scale i assume he means numerous accounts, not wide scale on one account.. its just ambiguous to me, that's all.

Well they can do whatever they please as far as coming down on cheaters, though i would suspect it would just be CoD, given that you have to go through Steam to play the game it would pose a problem..i dont see Steam 'not' being used to play this game anytime soon...

Like they say..SP do what you like but MP, if your using the sound Mod online you could be using anything

Ze-Jamz
07-21-2011, 07:59 PM
How about using mods without using Steam multiplayer? I expect everything should be alright if i use direct connection to a non-steam server.

Not sure.

JG52Uther
07-21-2011, 08:59 PM
I would not use any mod online until the situation is officially clarified.
Once you get a VAC ban thats it, game over.

von Pilsner
07-22-2011, 09:26 AM
Sort of... depends on the game.

Valve Anti-Cheat System (VAC) (https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=7849-Radz-6869)

The Valve Anti-Cheat system is enabled for servers displaying the Secured shield logo. Using custom skins, sounds or maps and playing multi-player mods which do not modify core .EXE and .DLL files will not result in a VAC ban

Cheating in a Source Engine game that was released prior to Left 4 Dead will result in a VAC ban from Counter-Strike: Source, Half-Life 2: Deathmatch, Day of Defeat: Source, and Team Fortress 2.

Cheating in a Gold Source engine game will result in a VAC ban from Counter-Strike, Condition Zero, Ricochet, Day of Defeat, Team Fortress Classic, Half-Life: Deathmatch, and Deathmatch Classic
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2

VAC is enabled on all multiplayer servers, public and private. Any modifications to the game other than editing config files can result in a VAC ban. Examples of such modifications include console enablers, VAC disablers, and server hosting mods.

A VAC ban in Modern Warfare 2 only affects Modern Warfare 2.

If sound mods and graphics mods use an external .dll file to load then it could (technically) qualify as a VAC ban...

Ali Fish
07-22-2011, 11:50 AM
NO. anything untoward that happens on steam VAC equates to a review of your behaviour by 1C themselves.

It does not equate to a ban. The review might ! That is what we were told isnt it ?.