PDA

View Full Version : Realisme setting - CIM request

EAF331 Starfire
07-10-2011, 02:32 PM
I have a wish/request for the developers.

I think that CODs Complex Engine Management realism features are a bit to hard for newbies.

I would really like to see an option in the realisme setting for an IL-2 style text message warning, when overheating of an engine or engine subsystem starts to occur.

Best regards,

RE77ACTION
07-10-2011, 05:19 PM
I have a wish/request for the developers.

I think that CODs Complex Engine Management realism features are a bit to hard for newbies.

I would really like to see an option in the realisme setting for an IL-2 style text message warning, when overheating of an engine or engine subsystem starts to occur.

Best regards,

It's not that hard at all if you ask me. At least not for the popular fighters which I find almost indestructible. You just need to read in for the appropriate values for the plane you're going to fly. These are posted everywhere on this forum. Search and you'll find. With a little practice I think you'll soon get it. ;)

White Owl
07-10-2011, 06:15 PM
One of the goals for Dover is to make things more accessible for people new to flight sims. That's why we have those Tiger Moth missions, isn't it? I'm still hoping that someday we'll have the online basic flight training working like was discussed waaaay back when. Me and a non-flying-savvy buddy in a Tiger Moth, teaching him the basics... that would be so great.

Yes, some user-configurable text warnings when you're exceeding certain limits for temperatures, airspeed, G-forces etc. would be a very nice feature. Gradually turn them off as you learn to fly without them.

robtek
07-10-2011, 10:26 PM
Why should people learn to walk with crutches first?
To watch for the instruments to assure your crate brings you back is very important, especially later when one can identify the newbie with less or non-existant situational awareness.
If you want it easy, turn off cem, if you want to learn, do it right, without crutches.
My opinion

JG53Frankyboy
07-10-2011, 10:45 PM
no question, but a documentation what CEM limits THE GAME are using would be very nice to have !
And the developers should know them - i dont care historical manuals (like this Spitfire manual from the Collectors Edition) , as you can hardly tell if they fit the game calculations...............

And flying the Tigermoth doesnt help you a bit to understand the CEM of a Spitfire IMHO :D

This lack of documantation (and not only for the CEM) is for me one of the biggest proplems this game has for newcomers!
Old hands, airplane enthusiasts, forum readers might overcome this proplem - but the others ? They will buy the game, and will through it away - and most propably are lost as costumers for further AdOns IMHO.

robtek
07-11-2011, 11:02 AM
It is more a sim than a game, look at the offline part :D
And of course you can use the original manuals, the limits in the sim are the same, except ceiling and for some planes vmax., which is slightly too low.

EAF331 Starfire
07-11-2011, 11:26 AM
with all due respect guys.

This was a request to the developers not a request for your opinion. Please respect that!

robtek
07-11-2011, 03:21 PM
If outside views are not wanted use email or a pm next!

EAF331 Starfire
07-13-2011, 10:45 AM
White Owl and JG53Frankyboy this post is not meant for you :)
Salute!

Starfire, I think in order to keep this as a sim instead of a game, the engine management needs to stay analog. What I mean is, as part of the awareness of your plane, you'll need to constantly look at the gauges, and determine for yourself if you are pushing the engine too hard/too hot, instead of the game telling you that you reached a predetermined overheat temperature at such and such a time.

I think even instantaneous damage messages are too much, but with the lack of wingmen to identify damage for you, and not as much real feedback from the different systems of an aircraft, I can understand why its there. (Just wish it wasn't, keeps us on our toes)

With your and the-rest-of-your-allignment-reasoning-friends here (this saves me time to adress all of you at once :!:).
With your line of reasoning there would be no reason for having any kind of Realisme setting. We should all fly full real, locked in cockpit, no change in ammo combo or convergence, no weathering (since this would be random), no CEM, no funny windows with the ability to se engine settings, making waypoints on the map, measure distances, chat windows, etc, etc.
There are also not even a reason for user to change allignment. Your first choice of nation should stay with you forever and if you are killed by whatever reason, you should not be able to use COD anymore :rolleyes:

For some of us that are flying in Sqd. Having to recruite and train people, things are not as black and white. We do not have the luxury of only taking in recruites that came from a flightschool. We actually have to help folks. Getting them to like to fly this game, and some of them are actually more interested in teamwork and tactics. In order to maximise the effectiveness of my training lesson when I teach tactical lessons , I don't need 2/3 of my trainees to abort due to a blown gasket. Which by the way is a wast of my spare time.
If a learning curve is to steep the game will be shelfed. And if your guys had a little wider view you would also know that community support and mods comes from, guess where....tata...a community :!:
A community consist of people. Ergo the more people who don't give up, the larger a community, the more MODS, the more missions, the more skins, etc.

I don't get paid for my hobby and I have absolutely no problem shelfing COD due to lack of people flying it in my sqd. I can happily contine flying IL-2 1946. The modders are doing a superb job. Playability is excellent. We have SEOW, DCG, GhostSkies, MDS. So why not limit the community and kill COD in the making. I THINK NOT :rolleyes:

The feature I have propose are not evasive. Servers without this realisme setting would not allow player to use it.
So you as players have the ability and right to choose another server.
When I see your guys want to impose your rules and opinions on others I get a feeling of the having to deal with religious zealots.

@Robtek
I find it hard to undestand your line of behaviour after reading one of your posts over in SimHQ about being constructive or have you changed opinion :confused:

@cheesehawk
Il-2 1946 is also a Sim.
There are plenty of WWII add-on for FSX.

I tried to be nice before, which I prefer. But it diden't work.
I have absolutely no qualms about using a hammer.

BTW: Don't bother writing to me here. I am no longer following this thread. I have agued for the feature.

Blackdog_kt
07-13-2011, 12:14 PM
Sorry for saying so, but i don't think you'll get this feature because it already is in the sim :-P

There is CEM on and CEM off and there are all sorts of on-screen messages telling the player exactly what's broken in the engine. CEM is in fact pretty forgiving at this stage and it's very easy to learn it.

To properly train people in engine operation with CEM on, the easiest way is to start with the simpler engines: low number of controls and a fixed pitch prop.

In other words, a Tiger Moth. There's a reason it was included in the sim and it's exactly that: it's supposed to be difficult to manage the engine at full difficulty settings, so we have a trainer to practice on.

If i had to train someone, i would start from the simpler stuff and go towards the more complicated ones. In terms of engine operation this would mean:

Fixed pitch prop and no radiators: A couple of flights in the Tiger Moth.

Two-position prop with water radiator: A few flights in the Hurricane with the DeHavilland prop.

Constant speed prop with water radiator: A couple of flights in the Rotol Hurricane.

Manual pitch prop with water and oil radiator: A few flights in the 109

Advanced course: Air-cooled radial engines (G.50 and Blenheim) and twin-engined aircraft.

If i didn't want to do it or my recruits didn't want to listen, i would set the difficulty settings lower, problem solved.

You can do this right now in fact: enable the CEM to train your guys in boost/RPM handling but disable temperature effects to stop them from overheating. Once they are comfortable with it, enable temp effects too.

Everything you need is already in the sim, there's even a "look at instruments" snap-view command for checking the most vital gauges while in flight and it momentarily overrides all other view controls for as long as you keep the button pressed: i can look around with freetrack, press it for a second to take a look at my temperature gauge, release it and the view will go back to where i was looking at.