PDA

View Full Version : Max speed

TomcatViP
06-29-2011, 07:29 AM
Hi all,

As I hve seen this often stated - "My Max speed is way bellow what charts tells us" - I just want to pint briefly here what maximum speed is about.

There is two way of reaching maximum speed :
1. Slamming the throttle keeping nose level (Plenty of time left to tweet or launch your favorite DVD here)
2. Put your nose slightly down and slam the throttle

In the 1st case your plane try to reach the maximum perf only by the power of it's engine witch will takes time and depending on the atmospherics condition that day might not even be reachable by a substantial margin.

On the contrary by pushing the nose slightly down you are converting some of your E (potential) to help increase your speed witch is more efficient way as the Power to weight ratio of planes at those time were fairly low. Hence the increase effect is high. Once your speed as reached a slightly superior value of the max speed as advertised on your plane manual, level the nose and your speed will stabilize near it's maximum value depending on atmospherics condition, wind heading and your own flying skills.

For example I can keep a 500kph+ deck in a Rotol Hurri (CSP) for little less than 1 min what is alrdy an optimistic value . I am sure that the two speed prop version could do even more.

So to all the "Expert" criticizing CoD FM for what they claims is a substantial lack of power on some planes...may I remind you that this trick was officially approved for any records run at the time.

My two cents

~S!

Sternjaeger
06-29-2011, 08:45 AM
Fair point, some people here don't understand that flying a plane is not like driving a car :rolleyes:

May I also stress on the concept of IAS? Let's remember that what reads on the speedometer in your cockpit is not your speed relative to the ground, but to the air that you're moving into.

The whole speed malarkey is a useless point of argument I think, there are not many gross mistakes with it and a 10mph error is not the kind of edge that makes the difference in a dogfight..