PDA

View Full Version : COD 109-E feels like a late series 109 in IL2 1946

Bpdslayer
06-13-2011, 12:42 PM
Hi guys,

Just my feel that the 109-E in COD feels so heavy and unmaneuvarable. So I cant imagine how later model 109's in COD will feel like..... Like flying trucks probably....

jg27_mc
06-13-2011, 12:57 PM
Hi guys,

Just my feel that the 109-E in COD feels so heavy and unmaneuvarable. So I cant imagine how later model 109's in COD will feel like..... Like flying trucks probably....

Be thankful 109's don't have paper fuselages, they can actually take some damage in CloD, and that they also lack concrete elevators (present in 1946).

Regards.

ATAG_Doc
06-13-2011, 12:58 PM
Hi guys,

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/storage/9/1517601/thanks-for-the-info.jpg
(http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/storage/9/1517601/thanks-for-the-info.jpg)

DB605
06-13-2011, 01:13 PM
Hi guys,

I don't agree with heavy feel but actually E was less maneuverable than later models, especially F in real life, so i guess (hopefully) it will be the case with COD/SOW series too.

CaptainDoggles
06-13-2011, 03:40 PM
Hi guys,

I don't agree at all, really. It's not as nimble as a spit but you can still play a good energy game.

TomcatViP
06-13-2011, 04:08 PM
I don't agree at all, really. It's not as nimble as a spit but you can still play a good energy game.

did you say "Nimble" .... hence let's only say that the 109 was smaller, lighter with less wet area than the spit. Not speaking about overall manufacturing quality.

The prob is not in the 109 ... it's the Spit ! Take a Hurri and have a fight with a 109 you'd be surprised thinking abt what you have seen in your 109 vs a spit.

Sincerely, regarding Il2 and now CoD I think that 1c hve a Spit complex :evil: ... And it's highly contagious !!

Redroach
06-13-2011, 04:27 PM
Hi guys,

Welcome to "I...expert test pilot...feel...bug...change!" thread no. 14521561! Congratulations!

jg27_mc
06-13-2011, 05:25 PM
...Sincerely, regarding Il2 and now CoD I think that 1c hve a Spit complex :evil: ... And it's highly contagious !!

+1

Bpdslayer
06-13-2011, 05:27 PM
How dare you dis my virtual pilot experience! At least these guys agree with me....

http://www.virtualpilots.fi/feature/articles/109myths/

Screw all of you, I'm goin home!

:grin:

Blackdog_kt
06-13-2011, 11:35 PM
I actually find the "new" 109 much nicer than the "old" one: now i can actually roll and use elevators at high speeds :-P

The heavy feeling you describe is probably due to a universal effect of the improved FM. Inertia, torque and so on are more pronounced in the new sim, especially when flying at lower airspeeds (eg, a protracted dogfight with a series of turns or even vertical maneuvers).

This heavy feeling disappears completely if you keep it going at a faster pace.

jg27_mc
06-14-2011, 01:27 AM
...This heavy feeling disappears completely if you keep it going at a faster pace.

But how? Not maneuvering (e.g. horizontally)? As we all know, the thing (109) will start to consume huge amounts of E as soon you start moving the stick...

Regards.

xnomad
06-14-2011, 03:31 AM
I think she's fine, in fact going by some reports she's too good, and I guess this is the same with the other craft too.

There are a lot of accounts of Spitfire and Hurricane pilots making a 109 follow them in a dive at low altitude and then quickly pulling up. The 109 can't pull up as sharply and crashes into the ground.

The above can't happen in this game I can dive from really high up and pull out very close to the sea/ground.

Also I don't think it's realistic that you can do a loop from sea level. In reality you'd lose some energy in the loop and finish at a lower altitude, in this case you'd be under water. This doesn't happen in the game, you can loop from sea level easily.

So yeah I'm not convinced the FM is realistic but I don't find the 109 porked, she's a great little plane.

TomcatViP
06-14-2011, 10:00 AM
There are a lot of accounts of Spitfire and Hurricane pilots making a 109 follow them in a dive at low altitude and then quickly pulling up. The 109 can't pull up as sharply and crashes into the ground.

It's a legend. Not historic facts.

The tested 109 had dead-weights added in the tail by French testing dep to compensate for the torn fuselage (109 building techniques was really advanced at the time for either Brits or French to be able to make the correction).

I know that it was widely popularized in IL2 with all those aces diving at 450+kph and then pulling up. Add this to the climbing turn à la Spit... Same topic.

ZaltysZ
06-14-2011, 10:41 AM
Also I don't think it's realistic that you can do a loop from sea level. In reality you'd lose some energy in the loop and finish at a lower altitude, in this case you'd be under water. This doesn't happen in the game, you can loop from sea level easily.

Loop eats energy, so you either loose some speed and/or some altitude because of it. You can do loop from sea level, if you have enough speed. Basically you just need to enter loop at such speed, that at its apex you would still be at min turn speed and at twice your min turn radius above entry point, and you will exit that loop without altitude loss, but with speed loss (of course).

Kurfürst
06-14-2011, 10:48 AM
I actually find the "new" 109 much nicer than the "old" one: now i can actually roll and use elevators at high speeds :-P

The heavy feeling you describe is probably due to a universal effect of the improved FM. Inertia, torque and so on are more pronounced in the new sim, especially when flying at lower airspeeds (eg, a protracted dogfight with a series of turns or even vertical maneuvers).

This heavy feeling disappears completely if you keep it going at a faster pace.

Good point. I noticed the same, manouverability is very much dependent on speed, more speed the better.. and at least there's no ridiculus barrier at 450 km/h after which the stick is useless..