PDA

View Full Version : Fighters exploding mid air.

Bloblast
06-08-2011, 08:12 PM
I must say I have not seen any, even the heavy burning ones.
Is this missing in current DM for fighters?

Strike
06-14-2011, 06:55 PM
Really there is no reason for something to completely explode/disappear. I like it much better now with larger parts remaining intact, though the center fuselage can completely explode in a ground impact or mid-air. However, the only thing that would blow a plane to smithereens IL-2 style would be explosives. Where do you find those? Well in bomb-bays or ammunition drums. So far I've blown off the wing of about 3 109's with a spitfire by hitting the ammo drums for the MG-FF's and that is enough to rip it off. I've set planes ablaze, and in real-life I believe this can bring the temperatures to such a level that metal would bend/melt under the G-loads and snap off quite fast if the fire is big enough. The huge fireballs in CLOD represent a fuel-tank rupturing and spilling all the volatile fuel over a huge area before catching fire. IRL this would be much as a fuel-air bomb with less explosive power I think.

I'm much more happy with the present situation than the "jesus-bullet" that could be a 7.9mm mg round hitting the engine of a spit causing it to vaporize.

335th_GRAthos
06-14-2011, 08:09 PM
I have seen at least three Bf109 exploding on the REPKA servers in front of my gunsight (I was flying Spit Ia)

And one HE111 (wing broke completely off inside a fireball).

If that is what you are referring to by "exploding".

~S~

Blackdog_kt
06-14-2011, 11:55 PM
I like the current DM, it seems much more believable (reasons already given by other posters above).

The relatively low power armament of the aircraft we currently have, combined with the fact that most of them are unarmored for the most part results mostly in fuel tank ruptures and subsequent fires, or fire due to engine damage.

If we had 190s and typhoons or 30mm cannon 109s i'm sure we'd see aircraft disintegrating more often due to structural damage, but for now it's usually a case of set it on fire, make the engine seize, start a fuel leak/degrade his aerodynamic capabilities and wait until he glides into a crash or kill the pilot. I think it's not that far fetched to be honest.

Best thing i ever saw was hosing down a Spit with the cowl-mounted MGs of my 109 and as i was about to close the distance and finish him off with cannon i saw him developing failures in real time without being shot at. In other words, i damaged something which damaged something else which started a fire, i didn't fire a single shot at him after the first pass and he still went down.

I had just pulled up above him in a high yo-yo to come back down on his six as he was making a left hand turn after my initial attack when i saw it, so i kept high and just looked at him go into the drink thinking to myself "this is awesome".

Initially he just had a fuel leak and some misfiring cylinders (easily identified by flames coming off of individual exhaust stacks), but as he was diving for cover while turning i saw he started streaking one smoke trail, then another one from the other side of the engine the next second and he went in in a slow, wide, diving spiral.

What probably happened is that his damaged engine was running hot, the fuel from the ruptured tank got ignited and he bailed out.

Strike
06-15-2011, 06:42 AM
What probably happened is that his damaged engine was running hot, the fuel from the ruptured tank got ignited and he bailed out.

These moments are the true money for me in CloD :)

Watching how a small strafe alongside the engine cowling can cause a number of components to fail, slowly but surely bringing the engine to catastrophic failure or igniting the plane. At the moment I think AI pilots are "too scared" and bail at the instant the plane catches fire. That's my only gripe with the DM/AI aspect. I wish they flew a little longer unless the fueltank was on fire, since very often the fires will go out a few secs after they ignite :)

Redroach
06-15-2011, 09:46 AM
I agree, the DM is very cool now and is definately a huge step forward in approximating the "RL DM".

Planes getting vaporized into pieces no larger than 10cm³ is a rather rare occurrence in real life, imo. Even in the times of A2A-missiles.