PDA

View Full Version : so you find the cannons innefective? follow hartman advice :)

raaaid
06-07-2011, 11:03 PM
hartman would advice to wait for enemies plane to fill the windscreen

but how close is that?

well check it out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QI2fsK0J_kI

this proves hartman flew with 20 m convergence and games convergence should be reduced below 100 m

also i wonder how much advantage do i have flying a spit with no weapons :)

so when you get this close and your cannons fail you can complain otherwise youre doing it wrong according hartman :)

TomcatViP
06-08-2011, 01:13 AM
hartman would advice to wait for enemies plane to fill the windscreen

but how close is that?

well check it out:

this proves hartman flew with 20 m convergence and games convergence should be reduced below 100 m

also i wonder how much advantage do i have flying a spit with no weapons :)

so when you get this close and your cannons fail you can complain otherwise youre doing it wrong according hartman :)

Once upon the time in a kingdom far far away there was a guys name THALES (yes sound strange) that liked to play with triangles (definitively weird:-x)

Anyhow What he said should be read with interest for those promoting the "Inch" convergence.

Pls devs for your own safety switch to next thread right now - it might be even to late for me !!!

Vengeanze
06-11-2011, 09:23 PM
Who's Hartmann? Seems like a sneaky bastard if he came that close without the bandit breaking off.

Sven
06-11-2011, 09:25 PM
Hartmann was flying a 109, so you cant really do it the same way in a spit because the cockpit is simply different. Also he meant the actual windscreen, not the canopy, so the window right in front of you, behind the gunsight..

Works good of course, it's the point where you can clearly distinguish radiators and other vulnerable parts, and a relative small chance you miss where you're shooting at. Also pilots in that period did not have rear faced sonars so they didnt knew someone was right on his 6, until his wingman told him of course, which was a very important function back then. Yet online you rarely see it, a shame, it's really fun to cooperate with someone you know.

TomcatViP
06-11-2011, 10:41 PM
However, on the other hand, if you had your convergence set to 20m, and you were firing wing mounted cannons, at 20m the bullets would converge horizontally, at 40m, they'd be as far apart as they were originally coming from your wings, at 80m, they'd be twice as far apart as the original firing points, etc...

Do you know witch angle a 20m convergence means for your wing canons ? 26deg offset to mean axis line !

Thales loves you. Pls Open your heart and mind to him ;)

CaptainDoggles
06-11-2011, 10:43 PM
Who's Hartmann? Seems like a sneaky bastard if he came that close without the bandit breaking off.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erich_Hartmann

Vengeanze
06-11-2011, 10:46 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erich_Hartmann
...nicknamed "Bubi"... :grin:

fiendlittlewing
06-13-2011, 12:08 AM
I find myself using this tactic.

During a Maneuver that pulls any Gs I can't use the gunsight, rather I point the nose and get close enough where I can't miss.

When attacking bombers I come in screaming in to a near collision and pull the trigger at the merge.

The weapons are noticeably more effective at this range. You would get some kinetic advantage as well as tight grouping (IRL). In the game anyway, it's not unusual to take down a plane this way in a single pass; despite the snapshot nature of the attack.

Now I'm new to this game and I've only shot @ hurris and heavies this way so far. But I've gotten on the ground w/ 2 kills using tiny amounts of ammo.

I'm starting to "use the force" against fighters during scissors, or any high angle merge.

I'm a 109 guy so I'm happiest flying past fast and @ high angles.

Grand_Armee
06-13-2011, 01:30 AM
I was never good at getting in close...enemy swerves, enemy turns, enemy goes inverted and uses negative g...and of course the infamous barrel-roll technique.

I prefer deflection shooting...so I tend to use convergences like 300. Unless it's those Breda 12.7's. Then I find 600 to 1000 works better.

So, yeah...I'd like my 20's to perform like 20's

Widowmaker214
06-14-2011, 02:49 PM
littlewing..

if you are pulling G's.. you still use the gunsight.
Its called lead.
just like shooting a shotgun at a bird.. you use the dot.. in your calculation for lead.
WIthout it.. you shoot blind.

If you are pulling G's.... say in a turn.. you move the dot.. out in front of his nose. Mentally make a line that his aircraft is following and move your cross hairs out that line in front of his nose.
How far.. depends on distance, airspeed, angle.. etc. Its something you learn over time.
Most of my kills have come from lead shooting while pulling G's.

Blackdog_kt
06-14-2011, 04:13 PM
I only use the cannons for the finishing blow. First i use the MGs at long range to force them to evade, turn and bleed some speed, then as i get in closer i keep shooting with the MGs.

If by that point they are not done for (the MGs are actually pretty good, i get a lot of pilot kills with them if shooting with a slight angle off), i will just give them 2-3 rounds of cannon at point blank range to finish them off and zoom back up, so that i won't have to come back down again to finish them off.

Generally speaking, i fly in lag pursuit if i even turn at all (i point my nose behind their tail) to conserve my energy. Then, when i get close i switch to lead pursuit but i don't "force" it with high G maneuvers.

I just maneuver in a way that will put me in front of their projected flight path instead of trying to follow their every step. When the range is sufficiently close, this mostly means using slightly out of plane maneuvers (high or low yo-yo) to help me "cut in" in front of them.

At some point they don't have enough time or energy to make a rapid reversal and they will surely cross my firing line, so i just put the gunsight ahead of them and a give a small squeeze of the trigger. Works like a charm. :grin: