PDA

View Full Version : Damage model request!

Strike
06-02-2011, 02:09 PM
Hi!

I have an idea, which I believe can be applied fairly easily to your simulator!

I'd like to see a two new layers in aircraft texturing implemented:

1.Fire-damage layer

2.Oil-spill layer

The idea is that when your plane catches fire, a layer (much like your visual weathering layer) will develop, showing a blackened/burned tone to the area of the aircraft that is burning. It will gradually increase opacity the longer the plane burns. If it's too difficult to code for the specific area of the plane that is burning, perhaps limit it to the center fuselage/wingroot area so that if you have an engine fire/fuel fire, it'll only effect the center of the plane! It would really make a realistic look to aircraft that have caught fire!

Secondly the oil-spill layer. I've seen it before in the game "B-17 the mighty 8th" where if your plane has an oil-leak, there's a darkening part of oil-spill becoming more and more visible behind the leak. So for single-seat fighters this could mean a spill on top of the plane (covering the canopy etc) or below the belly (making the belly black/shiny and full of oil-spray).

For twin engine planes, one spill texture for each engine, and perhaps horizontal stabilizers if they are in the wake of the engine nacelles.

It would look really good and feel more immersive, especially the oilspill in exterior view of the canopy. We can already see oil from the inside, but it's strange not to see any outside the plane :p

It's hard to find good reference material on the B-17 game, but in this youtube video at about 1:40 into it a guy gets shot down in his messerschmitt. If you look in external view as his plane burns, you can see the engine cover and surroundings turn black/dark because of the fire and oil spills. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAjGAHYgnwk&feature=related

I think this is possible in ClOD by using another texture layer much like your adjustable weathering, but directly linked to the aircraft damage model!

That way, a oiled out, burnt up engine on a bomber would really leave a good visual impression of the carnage it's been put through :)

Just my 2 cents, but focus on more important matters for now like core-game bugs and issues, and please keep this in mind for the future!

EDIT:

Another nice feature would be that seeing that we already have spreading aircraft fires:

Why not program the fires to ignite fuel tanks? As of now, the entire plane can "burn" but even if the area around the fuel tanks are burning, they never catch fire... That would be a nice feature :)

DB605
06-02-2011, 07:31 PM
Good idea, i hope we will see it in game some day. BTW i didn't remember tracers and flak looked that good on B-17...:)

Sven
06-02-2011, 07:57 PM
The term 'unrealistic' for those tracers is the preferred one.

I still have that game, it's really good, you also have to take care of your team in the B17 and plan your attacks, I like it, and you can fly all the planes that are ingame, 190 109 262 P47 P51 P38 and B17.

TomcatViP
06-02-2011, 10:05 PM
Nice post - full of nostalgia.

The fact is that immersion was better worked - a real weak point of 1c series.

However, flight model and AI were rather primitive on this game due to the lack of resource left after the processor has worked all the animations for the atmosphere of the game. On the contrary IL2 was more dedicated to make you feel what it was to be alone in a pit during a thrilling dogfight.

If I agree that your idea is rather good I think that 1C has alrdy over worked the graphics for now in CoD.

But I like the tracers ;-)

~S

Strike
06-02-2011, 10:10 PM
If I agree that your idea is rather good I think that 1C has alrdy over worked the graphics for now in CoD.

~S

Perhaps they have, but this extra texture layer which will most likely only be visible on say 25% of the aircraft in a dogfight, and most oftenly will disappear after the plane crashes from the following damage will most surely not demand too much resources!

It would look great! It's weird to see a hurricane burn on the runway or in the air and not turn black where the fire is burning :p

TomcatViP
06-02-2011, 10:17 PM
Perhaps they have, but this extra texture layer which will most likely only be visible on say 25% of the aircraft in a dogfight, and most oftenly will disappear after the plane crashes from the following damage will most surely not demand too much resources!

It would look great! It's weird to see a hurricane burn on the runway or in the air and not turn black where the fire is burning :p

Humm rgr but after the short story of the epilepsy filter don't you fear a non smoker rule being added like : burning fabrics and aluminium produce Carbon Monoxides that can be toxic for your health pls do not ... :rolleyes:?

Strike
06-02-2011, 10:37 PM
Humm rgr but after the short story of the epilepsy filter don't you fear a non smoker rule being added like : burning fabrics and aluminium produce Carbon Monoxides that can be toxic for your health pls do not ... :rolleyes:?

For your own safety, don't inhale the contents of your screen.

Sauf
06-02-2011, 10:46 PM
I did notice the other day that after I landed and cut engine a gasket blew and covered the windscreen in oil, maybe they can change it so it only happens when a/c is moving?
Just a minor thing, but any improvement is a plus.

Blackdog_kt
06-02-2011, 11:32 PM
Cutting the engines on the ground will cause damage a lot of times. By turning the engine off you're also switching off the cooling system in most cases, since most of the oil/hydraulic/pneumatic/etc pumps in these aircraft are engine driven.

That's why it's generally advisable to keep it idling until it gets to low temperatures before shutting everything down. Most general aviation aircraft with piston engines clearly specify this in their manuals, for example "idle until temperatures drops to X degrees before shutting down".

Grand_Armee
06-03-2011, 05:31 AM
Since someone mentioned "Cut engine", would there be any point in using this an engine weren't on fire?

TomcatViP
06-12-2011, 10:19 AM
For your own safety, don't inhale the contents of your screen.
:grin:;)

Strike
06-25-2011, 08:18 AM
update

335th_GRAthos
06-25-2011, 10:25 AM
Yes, I remember this game! it was one of the best gun turret sims I ever had!

Hmmm... nice sounds by the way ;)