PDA

View Full Version : Me 110. Very Hard to Destroy.

MB_Avro_UK
06-01-2011, 10:38 PM
Hi all

I have about 60 hours flying the Hurricane in CoD. But I have found the Me 110 a very, very difficult aircraft to destroy or even to reduce it's effectiveness.

I have no problems destroying bombers or even the Me 109 at close quarters.

But the Me 110 even at close quarters refuses to die. It will die eventually but it seems to absorb so much ammunition.

Anybody else feel the same?

Best Regards,
MB_Avro.

The Battle of Britain was not only Britain's Finest Hour. It was also Humanity's Finest Hour.

Author Stephen Bungay,The Most Dangerous Enemy.

335th_GRAthos
06-01-2011, 10:44 PM
Had you been flying Spitfire, I would have suggested that the difference in size between the ME110 and the Bf109 make you misjudge the firing distance and the convergence makes the bullets go astray.

But since you fly Hurris I do not know what to say...

Frequent_Flyer
06-02-2011, 12:07 AM
Aim for the canopy on a Bf-110 and you will soon find you get multiple kills per encounter. The Ju-87 seems to be unrealistically difficult to take out in my opinion.

jojovtx
06-02-2011, 02:01 PM
Both the 110 and JU87 are very robust aircraft. The JU87 especially so since it is designed to withstand very high G forces after pull out and I presume armored well in the event of encountering ground fire. The 110 is a large aircraft with alot of empty space for little bitty bullets to pass through.

However, being on the receiving end of a hurri and spit, more times than I really care to admit, it may look like you do no damage but I promise you I am running for home and hoping my fuel/engines hold out long enough for me to put it down safely.

41Sqn_Stormcrow
06-02-2011, 02:53 PM
I for my part don't have difficulties in downing 110ers but with 111 ... and I use the Spit. BTW also in a Hurricane one has to take care about convergence albeit to a lesser extent than in a Spit.

I have more issues with the rather weak cannon shells of the 109. I usually make my kills with the MGs rather the cannons while when reading pilot accounts the pilots seemed to have preferred the cannon for killing.

My feeling is that the MGs are quite well modelled in COD doing realistic damage now but the cannon not enough. Please don't tell me about the fire rate of the cannons, I know that it was low. My thought is rather on the damage potential of a cannon shell.

Strike
06-02-2011, 03:26 PM
I for my part don't have difficulties in downing 110ers but with 111 ... and I use the Spit. BTW also in a Hurricane one has to take care about convergence albeit to a lesser extent than in a Spit.

I have more issues with the rather weak cannon shells of the 109. I usually make my kills with the MGs rather the cannons while when reading pilot accounts the pilots seemed to have preferred the cannon for killing.

My feeling is that the MGs are quite well modelled in COD doing realistic damage now but the cannon not enough. Please don't tell me about the fire rate of the cannons, I know that it was low. My thought is rather on the damage potential of a cannon shell.

I thought the dreaded "mine" rounds came with the MGFF/M version that could fire that type of ammunition.

The ones we have now do practically no penetration damage at all because they explode on impact. The explosion itself does little more than rip off fuselage skin unless the impact is in the wingroots where the explosion can damage more surrounding surface. I'd say the right ammunition for the cannons would be armor piercing atm since the 20mm slugs would carry more momentum than the MGs. When the mine-rounds come with the new MGFF/M it should become really devastating, shredding wings etc much faster.

baronWastelan
06-03-2011, 01:06 AM
Anybody else feel the same?

My experience is that your complaint is without merit. Please try to aim at the cockpit or radiators.

Grand_Armee
06-03-2011, 05:22 AM
Tests by the Germans found that on average it took 4 20mm hits to down a fighter and 20 to down a four-engined bomber.

No, I don't have a website or book to back that up...I read it somewhere and can't recall where.

But, I don't think it was on Kurfurst's website.

But I too agree that I'm doing more with MG-17's than MG-FF's.

Sven
06-03-2011, 12:07 PM
That is probably regarding the MG151 which was a lot better (Because they refer to 4 engined bomber)

Still the MGFF was a good weapon IRL, if you hit a radiator: it's gone, you hit the cockpit, pilot gone. And ripping off fuselage is not just a mere 'flesh' wound it unbalances the whole plane, making it slower and harder to control, that happens when only 1 round hits, now you've got 2 canons firing at 520 rmp, that should not be doing 'light' damage.

TomcatViP
06-03-2011, 12:19 PM
That is probably regarding the MG151 which was a lot better (Because they refer to 4 engined bomber)

Still the MGFF was a good weapon IRL, if you hit a radiator: it's gone, you hit the cockpit, pilot gone. And ripping off fuselage is not just a mere 'flesh' wound it unbalances the whole plane, making it slower and harder to control, that happens when only 1 round hits, now you've got 2 canons firing at 520 rmp, that should not be doing 'light' damage.

You are right ... but not all the 109 had outboard canons. Let says that this is a balanced effect from devs (iinstead of two more of those excellent machine guns in place of the CoD's canons ):grin:

Grand_Armee
06-04-2011, 02:44 AM
And this is to help with multiplayer how?

baronWastelan
06-04-2011, 03:11 AM
You are right ... but not all the 109 had outboard canons. Let says that this is a balanced effect from devs (iinstead of two more of those excellent machine guns in place of the CoD's canons ):grin:

:!:ding :!: :grin:

41Sqn_Stormcrow
06-04-2011, 09:29 AM
I thought we are playing a historic flight SIMULATOR ... shouldn't the plane and their technical features be simulated correctly? In late war, how will they outbalance the 0.5 of the American planes then?

BigPickle
06-04-2011, 09:47 AM
I think all the german aircraft are like flying tanks apart from the Do17's to be honest, i bearly ever take anything down on a zoom and boom. i have to sit behind them and drill away.

41Sqn_Stormcrow
06-04-2011, 10:13 AM
I have these issues with the Stuka (almost normal I think as it was a very sturdy plane designed as a dive bomber) and with the 111 that almost never falls whatever I pump into it. The others are quite easy to kill. Perhaps you should work your aim (no offence meant, I just want to help) as it is very important to aim at the right things at the right distance.

BigPickle
06-04-2011, 11:37 AM
ok cool I might look into this, i found hope this helps for the Heinkel aim at the right wing just right of the engine, I blew a wing off twice this way, i think the fuel tank is there

41Sqn_Stormcrow
06-04-2011, 11:48 AM
I had the same thing with the left wing of the Heinkel but only when I am really really close.

I usually go for the engines or the pilot anyhow, as a black smoking engine will freeze soon.

What is very important is the right distance, particularly in a spit. Otherwise you'll just pepper it all over but you want a concentrated impact of your bullets.

xnomad
06-04-2011, 12:01 PM
I don't fly red much but I find the bf110 really annoying as the AI flies it far too well making shooting difficult. As I've said before if the bf110 could evade that well in real life it would have won the Battle of Britain. :grin:

As for the Bf109 cannon, if they were that ineffective in real life they would never have replaced the 4 MG's on the Bf 109 E-1. I am looking forward to getting a bf109-E1 with 4 MG's rather than the cannon! :grin:

drewpee
06-04-2011, 12:47 PM
Hey StormCrow any chance you could post a gunner video or even better a game track? :grin:

Kurfürst
06-04-2011, 02:09 PM
I wonder how the DM looks like COD.

In Il-2 it seemed really simplistic, with the wing for example divided into three sections, with hit points assigned to each. The amount of hit points only seemed to be related to wing area, with perhaps some individual tweaks.

It's quite possible the supposedly more complex DM of COD simply makes small caliber guns ineffective unless you hit vitals, as now you can't seem to just damage the 'generic' wing and accumulate damage - relatively easy to do even with small damage potential weapons, since you basically had just three fairly large target areas to hit - until a structural failure happens, which was typical the cause for getting shot down in Il-2.

Perhaps in CoD its more refined, and for example you have to hit the wing spar - a small target, and not very sensitive to occasional mosquito bites from RCMGs - to have chance for structural failure. A skin holed everywhere is just that, it will decrease flight characteristics, but others its generally not a main load bearing element.

41Sqn_Stormcrow
06-04-2011, 03:03 PM
Hey StormCrow any chance you could post a gunner video or even better a game track? :grin:

Unfortunately not, as because everytime I go out of the mission to start a track and I come back to the mission the controls freeze and I no longer can steer the plane (already reported by me a couple of weeks ago). So you have to take my word for it that the 110 is well destroyable when shooting at the right places from the right distance (not that I am very good at it. But when I do I can make them fall). I do have a tally of about 50 110 to my score (I must find a screenshot making device in order to show my stats. My fraps version seems not to work with CLOD).

Anyone also presses screenshot button (print button), gets a small freeze and then: no screenshot in the folder?

Jabo2009
09-07-2011, 11:43 AM
Aim for the canopy on a Bf-110 and you will soon find you get multiple kills per encounter. The Ju-87 seems to be unrealistically difficult to take out in my opinion.

did some ju 87 hunting last evening and I fully agree here: the stuka eats tons of lead before it shows heavy battle damage... feels like ages to take one down, hope they fix the DM on it

TomcatViP
09-07-2011, 12:06 PM
Yes it's much harder to score a kill than in Il2. But then we had some bad habits (1 hit 1 kill eco shooting).

Man has to see the old photographies showing the number of impact on German bomber shot down during BoB to makes his own mind.

Take it like a new challenge to your own skills.

On that point the recent HS canon (ridiculous) mods for the spit is outragsous in many regards (Bing Bing You dead..)

~S

Plt Off JRB Meaker
09-08-2011, 03:29 PM
Tip:Wait until the Bf110 climbs and presents it's full profile,as it does ensure you are in close,gun convergence under 250 yards and aim steady and use your ammo wisely.Voila!.......you'll have him.

Jumo211
09-08-2011, 05:48 PM
:lol:

http://i888.photobucket.com/albums/ac90/HolyGrail_photos/1-Bf-110G-ZG1_2-S9IC-Nikoleijev-Russia-1943-01.jpg

S! HG :cool:

SEE
09-09-2011, 12:24 AM
Maybe your expecting the spectacular 'ball of flame' or instant 'spiral downward' for visual confirmation of a 'kill'. You will still score the kill if the ac goes down later having suffered damage to cause it crash. Once you see small trails of smoke from one or more engines move on to another target. The same applies to essential flight structures such as flaps,ailerons, etc falling away.

The more accurate you are in terms of convergence, aim, etc the less ammo you will need to bring down several ac with a limited ammo belt evn though you think they are relatively intact and appear to be flying OK.

This is particularly effective on Channel Map servers where your enemy (especially if they are AI) have a fair bit of flying to do to get back to base.

Sokol1
09-09-2011, 05:23 AM
Bf110 is the best CloD plane to dogfight against, since they dont fly like a "bat" and dont use "afterburner" like others fighters.

Is easy down then: aim in cockpit. :)

http://img714.imageshack.us/img714/7909/110hit.th.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/714/110hit.jpg/)

Adjust gunsight bars for 53 feet.

BTW - Too bad the hit effects in last beta patch. :(

Pilot kill (pre patch)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYcwlGtkLNY

Sokol1

Iku_es
09-09-2011, 08:20 AM
What ammo load/convergency settings are you using??

I don't find the 110 extremely difficult to shot down. I always engage them from their high/low 5/7 position.
I either kill the pilot or put them afire using a mixed API loadout.

But its not an instant one-shot-kill-of-the-doom like in the original Il2. You need a 1 or 2 second burst at convengerce range.