PDA

View Full Version : Cannot climb through overcast

moggel
05-29-2011, 10:24 PM
Hi all,

I just started flying this thing and right now I'm learning to fly the Hurricane. I have two problems though:

First of all I just can't seem to be able to operate the radiator "flaps". I have it bound to an axis (slider on throttle) on my X52 but nothing happens as I move the slider. I have also tried the default keys (5 / 6) but the lever remains in the fully opened position. Has anyone else seens this. I'm running the sin in Complex Engine Management mode but without the heat effects.

The second problem might be related. I just cannot climb through an overcast. I added an overcast layer (local weather in FMB) and as I try to climb through it the hurricane slows down and stalls back. I suspected I needed carburator heat so I tried that but it seems nothing happens (I suspect the Hurri didn't have carb heat?).

Any hints would be appreciated cause I canät fly "on top" as it is.

Cheers

Seeker
05-29-2011, 10:53 PM
Going from the old IL-2, if you've set keys and an axis to the same function, the axis over rides the keys.

I'm using the default keys for this function, and it's working fine for me. You can confirm rad movement five ways:

An info window giving the rad position as a %, 100% being wide open
An info window showing control positions, the rad is the blue control, full up is full open
The operating lever to the right of the seat in cockpit
There's a position gauge to the left under the throttle
The Rad flap is quite obvious in the open position in the out side view, to the extent I can see if my squad mates have forgotten to close it for cruise.

And all of this only works if you have "CEM" (Complex Engine management) enabled.

If you're new to this, a high boost (throttle) setting warms up the water (rad), that's the green gauge, a high RPM warms up the oil (the yellow gauge). Adjust your flying to suit.

Edit: I've just noticed you say you have the heat effects disabled, you may have to enable them to get this to work.

I haven't experienced rough running in cloud in the Hurri yet. I think your diagnosis may be correct, and in real life (if not in game) richening the mixture would probably help.

timholt
05-29-2011, 11:14 PM
The second problem might be related. I just cannot climb through an overcast. I added an overcast layer (local weather in FMB) and as I try to climb through it the hurricane slows down and stalls back. I suspected I needed carburator heat so I tried that but it seems nothing happens (I suspect the Hurri didn't have carb heat?).

Any hints would be appreciated cause I canät fly "on top" as it is.

Cheers[/QUOTE]

I have the same problem with the Hurri's and Spits regardless of what mixture settings I use.
I just avoid them where possible.

moggel
05-31-2011, 10:29 PM
Some more experimenting with the full mission builder indicates that overcast might not be the real preoblem here. I have tried it without an overcast and, as I climb, suddenly ice is starting to build on the canopy and the engine starts running rough. Seems I'm entering very cold air.

My poor CEM skills (working on it though) have me dropping like a stone when that happens.

Blackdog_kt
06-01-2011, 12:27 AM
The sim models icing of various kinds. I've experienced carburetor icing when flying through a cloud with the G.50 (it doesn't have carb heat controls) and the engine died on me.

Other people have also reported that their engine was running fine (no fluctuations in manifold pressure and RPM) and still they were losing speed and altitude, which is a clear indication of icing on the actual airframe (wings and what not).

I guess that would be the cause of your problems, so either try to climb above the troublesome layer of air if at all possible, or descend below it.

l3uLLDoZeR
06-01-2011, 12:49 AM
The radiator requires the heat effects to be ON! I get ice on the windshield but haven't stayed long enough to get icing effects yet.

JimmyBlonde
06-01-2011, 03:10 AM
Another +1 to the like column.