PDA

View Full Version : Server mission rotation: Where are we?

Flashman
05-27-2011, 09:05 AM
With all the posts and pages im a bit lost on this subject. Where are we on being able to rotate the mission (as we used to do in IL2) without having to shut down the server or kicking all the players?

I have been concentrating on producing missions so have lost touch completely with this subject.

Thanks.

PS, yes, I would find this an extremely useful tool!

Ataros
05-27-2011, 12:11 PM
Trying to use battlestop at Repka we had many not destroyed actors which stopped normal bots flights at some point. Thus we decided to run server nonstop for 12 hours and then restart launcher and mission using scripted telnet. Runs well unless looses connection to Steam.

CoD is not Il-2 and we should not rotate missions in it the same way. I would say this is a bit limiting mentality from the past. As you know at any point you can change mission via loading it with a script into existing airwar environment. We just need C# scripters to join our teams to take care of small details like destroying unneeded actors. They can do it in a very elegant way if you check scripts from naryv for instance.

Flashman
05-27-2011, 12:20 PM
Trying to use battlestop at Repka we had many not destroyed actors which stopped normal bots flights at some point. Thus we decided to run server nonstop for 12 hours and then restart launcher and mission using scripted telnet. Runs well unless looses connection to Steam.

CoD is not Il-2 and we should not rotate missions in it the same way. I would say this is a bit limiting mentality from the past. As you know at any point you can change mission via loading it with a script into existing airwar environment. We just need C# scripters to join our teams to take care of small details like destroying unneeded actors. They can do it in a very elegant way if you check scripts from naryv for instance.

Yeah, the problem at the moment is getting rid of AI to ensure the server doesn't get 'clogged up'.

However i think we do need a mission/map rotation system as in the future we will have more maps (i.e. different geographical areas) and will want to change theatre etc. Also I might make missions that utilise different parts of the map (such as a battle of france map or over normandy etc) and as such I might want the mission to begin again. Also means we can advance time or change the weather.

Whilst the scripting system opens up so many opportunites (the mission i am making now are more complext than any IL2 ones I made) there is still a need for rotating the map in my opinion.

Ataros
05-27-2011, 12:29 PM
I hope battlestop is fixed one day.

Do you still get not destroyed actors after latest patch?