PDA

View Full Version : CoD+Skins=ban?!

CWMV
05-25-2011, 07:54 AM
So Im reading and hearing conflicting things about this.
Ive seen more than a few very nice third party skins for CoD out there, many of them here, but Ive read too that using these skins will get your steam account locked? what the heck?
But I see two different types of skins out there too, some like IL2 seem to be little more than pictures in a certain format, while others seem to be in the form of a modpack. Is there a difference between these? Will one get you locked and not the other or is what Ive read and heard about this a bunch of nonsense?

Liz Lemon
05-25-2011, 07:57 AM
So Im reading and hearing conflicting things about this.
Ive seen more than a few very nice third party skins for CoD out there, many of them here, but Ive read too that using these skins will get your steam account locked? what the heck?
But I see two different types of skins out there too, some like IL2 seem to be little more than pictures in a certain format, while others seem to be in the form of a modpack. Is there a difference between these? Will one get you locked and not the other or is what Ive read and heard about this a bunch of nonsense?

With kegetys mod = potential ban

Regular skins = no ban

CWMV
05-25-2011, 09:17 AM
Cool thank you.

AdamB
05-30-2011, 11:13 AM
With kegetys mod = potential ban

Regular skins = no ban

Why is this. If you are just changing the aircrafts skin surely this is not changing the code (which is what Steam normally bans people for). Why is it that you can change the skins that were included in the game but when it comes to changing skins that are not given with that Steam gets all upset. It is not enhancing a players advantage and it offers no advantage what so ever - just looks nice

I think that steam have gone overboard here

Ze-Jamz
05-30-2011, 11:20 AM
Why is this. If you are just changing the aircrafts skin surely this is not changing the code (which is what Steam normally bans people for). Why is it that you can change the skins that were included in the game but when it comes to changing skins that are not given with that Steam gets all upset. It is not enhancing a players advantage and it offers no advantage what so ever - just looks nice

I think that steam have gone overboard here

Here is a clue:

Multiplayer...EA has 'bright pink skins'

Ali Fish
05-30-2011, 01:03 PM
in a more loose basic term. Swastika = Ban.

Plt Off JRB Meaker
05-30-2011, 06:35 PM
Ban=being online to get banned.......surely,no brainer.....DON'T GO ONLINE WITH MODS,it ain't rocket science guys.:rolleyes:

AdamB
06-01-2011, 11:11 AM
Ban=being online to get banned.......surely,no brainer.....DON'T GO ONLINE WITH MODS,it ain't rocket science guys.:rolleyes:

Does this mean that whenever you play the game you should disconnect to the internet or just dont go onto multiplayer?

If everyone is on steam shoulddnt you have to disconnect (from your internet connection) to play mods without getting caught

Ali Fish
06-01-2011, 11:39 AM
only if you goto multiplayer. and entertain your modded files in an arena where those files may be checked by steam. i.e an online match.

AdamB
06-01-2011, 01:23 PM
Ok thanks for clearing that up, so therefore Im going to work on some Ju-87 skins that was originally done from scratch with the 1946 models, copying and pasteing, enlarging moving to the correct positions, then fildling around with finding the very small parts

Thanks for this,

AdamB

Shado
06-01-2011, 11:43 PM
My Tuppence, I cant see how it is going to be done with just flat jpg custom skins, whats it going to do check it pixel for pixel against a default skin??, hacks I can understand, oh well we will wait and see, in the meantime get our lovely skins here :)

http://allaircraftsimulations.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=172

checkmysix
09-30-2011, 12:04 PM
Hi Guys
I dont intend to Play on-line BUT I do want to use Third Party skins for
making Machinema Movies and posting on Youtube.
Is this likely to get Me banned,also are these skins detected in my Steam account anyway or ONLY in Multiplayer?
I would also like to add Swastika to Default German Skins and again will I get banned if used:confused:
I see that Guys have posted Images and Downloads of their Modded
Skins on this site and was wondering if anyone has had a Ban as a result of this?
Sorry for so many questions BUT better safe than sorry:rolleyes:
Regards
Keith :grin:

warbirds
09-30-2011, 03:42 PM
Good lets scare the crap out of anyone that wants to mod the game. This will never get to the size or status of IL2 with this going on.

ChrisDNT
10-01-2011, 06:50 PM
"...but Ive read too that using these skins will get your steam account locked? what the heck?..."

This is probably at the very edge of legality.
It would be a good thing if a lawyer looks at the situation with a nasty eye.

41Sqn_Stormcrow
10-02-2011, 10:12 AM
Good lets scare the crap out of anyone that wants to mod the game. This will never get to the size or status of IL2 with this going on.

I'd say hacks (what some call mods) rather destroyed old IL2 (remember, what you call mods in old IL2 is based on leaked hacked code) than really added things. A few planes more? Some additional maps? Great! Most of it was there before the hack.

Now we have infinite number of old IL2 versions making it very difficult to fly together online.

I know how old IL2 was before hacks and the content was there well before the hacks (people seem to forget that the huge amount of planes available in old IL2 came with patches from the dev team without any addition from modders. Same with the maps). IL2 was huge well before the hack. So "Ehre, wem Ehre gebührt" (Honour to those who earned it).

To the initial concern on skin using:
I use some custom made skins offline and had no problems up to now.

checkmysix
10-02-2011, 11:02 PM
Hi Guys
:confused:Can someone Please Clarify for Me with a Yes\No answer..
Would Ban apply to Singleplayer in offline Mode or does it apply to Multiplayer online Mode Only?
I want to use Third party Skins and MODS in Singleplayer
Mode only for Machinema purposes and NOT for Online Gaming.
And if I switch to Offline in Steam will this make a Ban less likely
Or make no difference to detection in Account details :confused:
Thanks
Keith:-)

41Sqn_Stormcrow
10-02-2011, 11:07 PM
I think I answered that I have already used self made skins offline and this did not lead to a ban up to now.

I do not know about mods but I would leave my fingers off this kind of things right now.

warbirds
10-03-2011, 12:47 AM
I have been using skins and mods from day one and no problems but I do not fly online.

von Pilsner
10-03-2011, 01:29 AM
Hi Guys
:confused:Can someone Please Clarify for Me with a Yes\No answer..
Would Ban apply to Singleplayer in offline Mode or does it apply to Multiplayer online Mode Only?
I want to use Third party Skins and MODS in Singleplayer
Mode only for Machinema purposes and NOT for Online Gaming.
And if I switch to Offline in Steam will this make a Ban less likely
Or make no difference to detection in Account details :confused:
Thanks
Keith:-)

Using mods offline will not trigger a VAC ban. You have to join a VAC enabled server to run the risk of a ban through steam (I have been playing HL2 mods [offline] through Steam for a long time and have not had any problems).

from: https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=7849-Radz-6869

If a user connects to a VAC-Secured server from a computer with identifiable cheats installed, the VAC system will ban the user from playing on VAC-Secured servers in the future.

checkmysix
10-03-2011, 04:42 AM
Thanks Guys
for clearing this up,
I thouhgt it would be O.K but just wanted to make sure;)
Looks like I have a lot of Downloading to do.
I will be patching Game Manually in future so as to maintain Offline Status
[Better Safe than sorry].
Thanks Again for quick response.
Keith :-)