PDA

View Full Version : CEM Howto?

mazex
05-24-2011, 07:54 PM
So, even though it changes every patch, is there a good CEM guide/howto around? If not - is there any guru here that can sum the basics for the three main fighters in how to best use prop pitch mixture etc and avoid blowing that engine? ;)

I think the RAF has had it with me perforating their coolers now :)

Skoshi Tiger
05-29-2011, 04:54 AM
It basically comes down to kicking the tyres, and treating your kite like your woman. You need to jump in her three times a day and take her to heaven and back!

Although someone else may like to supply a more comprehensive list of procedures, I tend to find it's easier to pick up the rest as you go along.

Woof! ;)

Vengeanze
05-29-2011, 05:04 AM
I think the RAF has had it with me perforating their coolers now :)
Every mission I tried so far starts with radiators CLOSED.
I always check that first. The handle might look like in open position but if you check the gauge then...closed.

Sauf
05-29-2011, 05:18 AM
It basically comes down to kicking the tyres, and treating your kite like your woman. You need to jump in her three times a day and take her to heaven and back!

Woof! ;)

mmmm? I just send mine to the pub for more beer 3 times a day, maybe thats where I'm going wrong!

whoarmongar
05-29-2011, 07:37 AM
CEM SPIT 1a

Its easy ,honest

On spawn

Open Rad full
Fuel on
Magnetos(2) on
prop fine
mix rich (in theory, I find weak is better its a bug)
Set course setter and compass (Ha THATS got you aint it)
Throttle about 10%
Ignition
Warm to 40*
Take off
Up gear stay low pick up speed, reduce throttle a bit to avoid damage to engine
Coarse pitch to avoid overreving engine, close rad about 50%
gentle climb @ 170 ish
only use fine pitch for hard steep climbs, Or if going too slow and the engine is bogging down, or when taking off and landing.
The mix is bugged for me, I use "lean" at all times, in theory you should use rich.
You will never overrev your engine in coarse pitch, unless diving with full power.
It may seem slower but it isnt. Remember harsh manouvers slow your aircraft, keep it smooth and try to stay above about 170 IAS. Watch temps, use rad as appropriate

The mkII is similar except you have constant speed prop so you can get more suitable prop angle for any given speed, therefore better performance. however if you misjudge it you will blow the engine, for this reason I sugest you start with the Mk1a. Also most online servers dont use the MkII, the lufties are scared of it and have it banned

The Hurricane uses the same engine so is very similar. Dont disregard this aircraft, with the constant speed prop it outclimbs the Mk1a in game and seems faster, online in a spit 1a I couldnt stay with a mate in a Hurricane he just climbed away from me.
However the 109 climbs so much better this is a negligible advantage in combat where you have to rely on manouverability as the 109 is faster, dives and climbs better in game.

The Engine
Never overrev it. 3000 is MAX revs so avoid going above 2900, It seems to work best at 2600 ish revs, however with Mk1a you will only get these revs at high altitude level flight in coarse pitch. As you climb in coarse pitch you will notice the revs picking up @ about 16000 the spit is at optimum height.
In the MkII use prop pitch to regulate the revs keep your revs @ 2600 with the pitch for best performance

For landing
Fine pitch
Mix rich (in theory)
gear down flaps down.

After using CEM you will never again use the simple method, you have more control and its more immersive,

Multi engines are another learning curve, The Blenheim is real tricky tempramental unreliable bitch with the emphasis on TEMPrametal.

hope this helps

Vengeanze
05-29-2011, 07:45 AM
How about the prop pitch? Seems like there's only Coarse and Fine right? No inbetweenie?

And if you could point me to a thread or doc with info on how to set the course that would be great.

mazex
05-30-2011, 06:45 AM
CEM SPIT 1a

Its easy ,honest

On spawn

Open Rad full
Fuel on
Magnetos(2) on
prop fine
mix rich (in theory, I find weak is better its a bug)
Set course setter and compass (Ha THATS got you aint it)
Throttle about 10%
Ignition
Warm to 40*
Take off
Up gear stay low pick up speed, reduce throttle a bit to avoid damage to engine
Coarse pitch to avoid overreving engine, close rad about 50%
gentle climb @ 170 ish
only use fine pitch for hard steep climbs, Or if going too slow and the engine is bogging down, or when taking off and landing.
The mix is bugged for me, I use "lean" at all times, in theory you should use rich.
You will never overrev your engine in coarse pitch, unless diving with full power.
It may seem slower but it isnt. Remember harsh manouvers slow your aircraft, keep it smooth and try to stay above about 170 IAS. Watch temps, use rad as appropriate

The mkII is similar except you have constant speed prop so you can get more suitable prop angle for any given speed, therefore better performance. however if you misjudge it you will blow the engine, for this reason I sugest you start with the Mk1a. Also most online servers dont use the MkII, the lufties are scared of it and have it banned

The Hurricane uses the same engine so is very similar. Dont disregard this aircraft, with the constant speed prop it outclimbs the Mk1a in game and seems faster, online in a spit 1a I couldnt stay with a mate in a Hurricane he just climbed away from me.
However the 109 climbs so much better this is a negligible advantage in combat where you have to rely on manouverability as the 109 is faster, dives and climbs better in game.

The Engine
Never overrev it. 3000 is MAX revs so avoid going above 2900, It seems to work best at 2600 ish revs, however with Mk1a you will only get these revs at high altitude level flight in coarse pitch. As you climb in coarse pitch you will notice the revs picking up @ about 16000 the spit is at optimum height.
In the MkII use prop pitch to regulate the revs keep your revs @ 2600 with the pitch for best performance

For landing
Fine pitch
Mix rich (in theory)
gear down flaps down.

After using CEM you will never again use the simple method, you have more control and its more immersive,

Multi engines are another learning curve, The Blenheim is real tricky tempramental unreliable bitch with the emphasis on TEMPrametal.

hope this helps

Great stuff, thats what I was looking for! Some tweaking and it's a sticky!

How about that manifold pressure then? In both the Spit and the Hurricane I have problems running at coarse as the boost goes too high. I end up at 85-90% throttle. Is that how it was/ is / should be?