PDA

View Full Version : Dedicated server and steam

Seeker
05-23-2011, 08:45 PM
So how does that work then?

Clod runs fine enough on my lap top with the effects turned right down, so I was thinking of hosting a little server on it for my squad nights as I occupationally did in '46.

Would that require two stem accounts?

As it is now, when ever I log on either my game machine or my lap top, I'm automatically logged off steam on the other machine.

Ralith
05-24-2011, 07:26 PM
Yeah, I love Steam and all, but as I understand it even Valve games don't require you to have a separate steam account (or even a license to the game at all?) to host a dedicated server. Are we really expected to buy it twice if we want to host a server and then play on it?

Ataros
05-24-2011, 07:30 PM
As far as I know you can run it with an empty Steam account. You have to login to Steam with your paid account only to update/patch the game at the server.

And btw you can run both server and client from one PC using one steam account.

Ralith
05-24-2011, 07:35 PM
As far as I know you can run it with an empty Steam account. You have to login to Steam with your paid account only to update/patch the game at the server.

That sounds more appropriate. Have you tested this?

And btw you can run both server and client from one PC using one steam account.

Which does me very little good if my server is in a datacenter hundreds of miles away.

Ataros
05-24-2011, 07:56 PM
That sounds more appropriate. Have you tested this?

I do not own any server to test it but according to my information 3 Repka servers are handled this way.

But let others confirm it before you make any important decisions.