PDA

View Full Version : FM/DM report Spitfire Ia

pupaxx
05-17-2011, 09:26 AM
Hi,
some note on Spitfire:
in a recent MP dogfight I sustained a combat damage (some holes on nose panels), my fuel pressure dropped from +9 to +1 but I noticed no major drawback, I was able to keep on fight and returrn to base. :confused:

another episode...same contest, entering in a cloud I experienced the well know canopy icing, but not only... my anemometer an variometer gone crazy,
Vel drop from 200Mph to 120Mph with the needle bouncing up and down(not just frozen pitot effect but the clear sensation of deceleration). Clear tendency to nosedive with variometer needle as above. Never experienced before, just canopy icing occurred.
Is icing surfaces modeled or bug?
Cheers

BGs_Ricky
05-17-2011, 02:22 PM
I think Pitot icing is modelled, which explains your anemometer not giving the right speed anymore.

Blackdog_kt
05-17-2011, 06:11 PM
There's many types of icing. I don't know if structural icing is modeled (getting ice on your wings for example, that would kill your lift), but i think i can make a good guess about what happened to your aircraft.

If you just fly close or through the edges of a cloud you'll get pitot icing which drives your instruments crazy. Turn on the pitot heater to fix this (i have it mapped to H). That being said, i don't know if all aircraft have a pitot heater.

What you describe though indicates a clear loss of power. This could be due to carburetor icing. I had a similar but more critical failure a few days ago, i was flying a G.50 which doesn't have a carb heater and decided to fly through a cloud to see what will happen. Well, the engine choked and seized completely because the carb was completely blocked with ice.

The Spit also has an engine with a carburetor and it doesn't have carb heat controls so what you experienced looks very similar, you just happened to exit the cloud before your carb completely iced up.

Any kind of humidity in the atmosphere is a carb icing danger, even on hot days, so it's best to limit flying near or inside clouds if your aircraft doesn't come equipped with a carb heater.

The exception to this is if you are running an injected engine, which is another advantage for the 109/110.

Hmm, now that i think of it, that's what i'm going to do online if i can't shake somebody, just dive into a cloud and wait until his engine stops :-P

pupaxx
05-17-2011, 06:18 PM
What you describe though indicates a clear loss of power. This could be due to carburetor icing. Hmm, now that i think of it, that's what i'm going to do online if i can't shake somebody, just dive into a cloud and wait until his engine stops :-P :-P
..thx, but I do not suffered rpm loss, just a slow down and a tendency to nose dive, so I think it was a general weight gain due to icing of surfaces.
I'll check again, ;)
Cheers

IvanK
05-18-2011, 01:38 AM
Pitot or Static port icing is modelled. At present icing effects on Pitot static dependent instruments are not particularly representative. Devs are aware of this.