PDA

View Full Version : FMB, Mission & Campaign builder Discussions

nearmiss
05-15-2011, 03:38 PM
We will add a sub-forums FMB, Mission & Campaign builder Discussions

on Monday. When everyone is back at work.
We will merge the contents of this thread into the sub-forums at that time, so use this thread for now.

41Sqn_Stormcrow
05-15-2011, 03:53 PM
Couldn't we have a dedicated forum section for this kind of things?

If a mission builder has a certain problem it is easier to find a solution in a dedicated forum where likely a thread dealing with this problem is already existing than to run through a thread that over the time will fill up with pages to see if there had been something connected or not.

Houndstone Hawk
05-15-2011, 04:10 PM
Couldn't we have a dedicated forum section for this kind of things?

If a mission builder has a certain problem it is easier to find a solution in a dedicated forum where likely a thread dealing with this problem is already existing than to run through a thread that over the time will fill up with pages to see if there had been something connected or not.

+1 to the above request.

Gamekeeper
05-15-2011, 04:17 PM
A sub forum for the FMB as a channel to encourage creativity seems a hard ask here.

As posted previously:

Maintaining a vibrant community forum is very important and this one at 1C is a fine example. But forums are less suitable as a database of information. Without editing and revision forum posts can contain incorrect or irrelevant information or material that is out of date, also as time goes on they will contain links to websites that no longer exist or to files and images that were long ago deleted. It becomes increasingly difficult to find information even when using forum search simply because of the volume of posts.

I'm one of the admin team at Mission4Today (http://www.mission4today.com/index.php) where over time with the assistance of the IL-2 community we have successfully built a healthy resource of information for the IL-2 series by using forums dedicated to all aspects of the sim including mission building or skinning.

We are now taking our 5 years experience with M4T and are trying to replicate this success on Airwarfare (http://www.airwarfare.com), a website dedicated to IL-2 Cliffs Of Dover and its sequals.

We will be offering support for the Full Mission Builder in the following formats:
The Full Mission Builders Design and Discussion Forum (http://www.airwarfare.com/sow/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=showcat&catid=43&Itemid=54)
FMB Knowledge Base (http://airwarfare.com/sow/index.php?option=com_content&view=section&id=16&Itemid=129)
There will be an FAQ section (http://www.airwarfare.com/sow/index.php?option=com_content&view=section&id=3&Itemid=41) covering the more easily answered queries and finally the wiki that may eventually become a fully fledged manual covering all aspects of the sim.

This will all be built but how quickly this all happens depends on the willingness of the community to join in and contribute.

Here is an example page (http://www.airwarfare.com/sow/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=118:searchlights&catid=76:object-management&Itemid=128) to demonstrate possibilities (Videos can also be embedded in articles). Any images used or files linked will be hosted on our server, articles can be updated at any time by the original author or an editor so everything is up to date and relevant.

I will continue to source info from here, UBI and Sukhoi and would like to thank those who have already been contacted by me and have consented to my using their material.
How quickly this becomes a useful resource now depends on the rest of the community.

Original post updated, well done Nearmiss, apt name ;) JK

JG53Frankyboy
05-15-2011, 04:38 PM
there is even a MOD Forumsection............ a FMB section would be essential !!
espacially in the current state of the FMB and it's official "documentation".

bongodriver
05-15-2011, 04:43 PM
there is even a MOD Forumsection............ a FMB section would be essential !!
espacially in the current state of the FMB and it's official "documentation".

Wouldn't any FMB discussion fit in with the MOD section? it is after all a sort of modding tool.

meplay
05-15-2011, 04:49 PM
yup kinda weird not having a sub forum in the place where every1 looks for advice, cos the instruction manual just doesnt cut it im afraid....how will it grow if we dont know how to make it :P

S!

Gamekeeper
05-15-2011, 04:52 PM
Wouldn't any FMB discussion fit in with the MOD section? it is after all a sort of modding tool.

Modding involves making changes to the 'hard coded' features of the game, adding aircraft, maps, changing textures, FM, DM or otherwise changing the game engine and have a permanent effect on gameplay.

The FMB is an editor for the creation of 'software' ie missions, campaigns and scripts these do not change any characteristics of the game engine.

Longbone
05-15-2011, 09:28 PM
Voila! a STICKY THREAD for mission builder discussions.

We will add a sub-forums FMB, Mission & Campaign builder Discussions

on Monday. When everyone is back at work.
We will merge the contents of this thread into the sub-forums at that time, so use this thread for now.
Thank you !!!
+1

It's a serious advance :grin:

41Sqn_Stormcrow
05-15-2011, 10:01 PM
Thank you! That's great to hear!

Seeker
05-15-2011, 10:28 PM
Is it possible to select a group of similar objects and handle them as a single logical object?

I ask, as there's a "rotate as group" menu option, but I see no way to select a group.

For instance, if I place six moveable ships as a convoy, can I select them as a group, rotate them as a group, and set the convoy way points as an entity instead of placing each way point individually for each ship?

Ataros
05-15-2011, 10:41 PM
ALT to select a group. And you can save it to a file btw.

But you can not deselect a group in other way than reloading your mission so far. (or inserting an object from a file).

dflion
05-16-2011, 01:32 AM
Thanks Nearmiss and thanks Gamekeeper. I will shortly be posting a 14 mission COD (campaign?) on 'Airwarfare'. You will fly as a Spitfire pilot with 64 Squadron from Kenley. The series of missions accurately covers Phase 1 of BOB, the Luftwaffe's testing of RAF Fighter Command between the 10th July and the 9th August 1940. There is one mission where you fly as wingman to 'Sailor Malan' with 74 Squadron out of Manston. This was the day that Flt. Lt. Malan wounded Maj. Werner Molders.

There are still many things not working in the FMB, though I noticed Ilya's post today saying they will switch on some more features soon.

Even though the FMB is not full functional, there is enough function to make some really good historical missions and I have really enjoyed making and testing them. For all the doubter's we certainly have the basis for the next very exciting phase of IL-2. One feature that has really got me going is the view of 12,24 or 36 Spitfires, Hurricanes or Messerschmitts climbing for height over their airfields, then seeing them clash in an all-out dogfight over the Channel with the English or French landscape in the background.

The series of missions are sequentially numbered 1-14 with location names and are fully scripted. You can fly them like a campaign or fly them individually. If you want to fly another aircraft rather than the Spitfire you can go into the FMB and activate the aircraft route and tick the pilot box (same as IL-2 1946). The campaign also has some basic training missions, flying the Tigermoth and some advance training Spitfire missions. My suggestion is you fly this campaign with 'fully functional cockpits' which really adds to the immersion.

I will post a selection of jpegs from 'Spitfire Dawn' shortly - you will see there is plenty of action, which really happened.
DFLion

Gamekeeper
05-16-2011, 02:01 AM
That's great news! Many are crying out for a good campaign, looking forward to seeing it

dflion
05-16-2011, 03:37 AM
A selection of pics from 'Spitfire Dawn' campaign, soon to be posted on 'Airwarfare'
DFLion

dflion
05-16-2011, 11:32 AM
Another selection of pics from the COD campaign 'Spitfire Dawn' which will be shortly available to download on 'Airwarfare'

Eklund89
05-22-2011, 02:04 PM
This might be to much to ask but: can someone create a mission with infinite spawns of aircrafts (bombers and fighters) from both sides flying around and fighting each other? I would like to just have a infinite "playground" to be able to just as soon as i have depleted my ammunition, i would like to just land and pick another plane from the map to enter or use external views to change aircraft. This can be on any map channel as well as dogfight maps.

This would be awesome just to play around and shoot stuff down.

Plt Off JRB Meaker
05-22-2011, 04:03 PM
Ok,historical question here,where historically were the mobile control units(red & white checkered hut on wheels) sited on RAF airfields,and where would the windsock be sited.

I think I have seen pics of the windsock more or less next to these units,but it would be great to see any pics if anyone has any to share.

I'm mission editing and want to get the airfield layout historically correct.

Any help would be really appreciated,tar.;)

Frequent_Flyer
05-22-2011, 09:13 PM
I can write breifs for missions I create in FMB, however they do not " show " when I play the mission. Any help would be greatly appreciatyed.

SEE
05-27-2011, 10:31 PM
there is a procedure, you may be aware of it but just in case....

first, Go to EDIT - Briefings - Add - (from the list pick e.g regular or Army Red)

it will appear on the right where you can re-name it, e.g Fighters.

create the briefing if you haven't already done so then press Save

Then, for the Group you want the briefing to appear in the Briefings screen -

select a way point and right click on the map - select properties,

this will open the 'View objects' for that group

scroll down and you will find a 'briefing' Tab and window showin None as the default

your briefing will be listed in that window using the name you selected, just dcroll down and select it.

Your briefing will be assigned to that group and should appear in the mission briefing screen.

I don't know of any problems with creating and displaying briefings.

Frequent_Flyer
05-28-2011, 02:47 AM
Thanks, I had no idea how this was done. I have read the manual, there is no mention of this procedure. Where do we find these type of instructions?

SEE
05-28-2011, 03:16 AM
things like this, most of us are having to discover by trial and error! :grin:

It's not covered anywhere so just keep posting for answers - which is why we desparately needed this FMB forum.

Frequent_Flyer
05-28-2011, 03:37 AM
See, thanks again, it words beautifully. Is there away to copy and paste? I have found very descriptive combat reports on line, but they cannot be pasted into a breifing.

Ataros
05-28-2011, 07:48 AM
Try editing a briefing file in the mission folder.

MadTommy
05-28-2011, 09:59 AM
But you can not deselect a group in other way than reloading your mission so far. (or inserting an object from a file).

Yes there is.. use the Right Mouse Button & Alt to select the group of units. This deselects the group.

:)

Frequent_Flyer
05-29-2011, 04:10 AM
Try editing a briefing file in the mission folder.

Thanks for the suggestion it worked.

56RAF_Witch
05-31-2011, 08:50 PM
Thanks, I had no idea how this was done. I have read the manual, there is no mention of this procedure. Where do we find these type of instructions?

Hi FF :)

page 106 of the manual describes the different briefings.

56RAF_Witch