PDA

View Full Version : Location of Saves?

Warmskin
05-07-2011, 11:57 PM
Does anyone know where the save games are located for King's Bounty-Crossworlds? I'm playing the first part - Armored Princess and I can't get any mods to work or the new 360 battle camera, and I thought I might reinstall and try every patch, from no patch - up to 1.31 and see if I get any luck. I've tried every suggestion here and nothing works. It's the lousy camera placement possibilities in combat and just roaming around that are driving me crazy. Other than that I love the game. But, I sure don't want to lose my saves (I'm pretty far). I just can't locate them and I've looked all over. Just want to make a backup in case a reinstall wipes everything clean. Thanks very much.

DarkScythe
05-10-2011, 01:16 AM
The save games should be in your user folder.
For me (I'm on XP; will be different for Vista/7, but should still be in the User folder) it's under My Documents/My Games/King's Bounty Princess/$save.

FYI, Crossworlds includes all of the original Armored Princess, from what I recall. Unfortunately I don't think you can migrate your save over, so if you play Crossworlds, you'll basically replay Armored Princess all over again but with a few new goodies.

I suspect this is also the reason you're having trouble with the camera mod.
The mods have to be loaded in the data folder, but that's the catch. Remember, since AP and CW can't even share saves, they definitely can't share data files, so mods for AP go in one folder, and mods for CW go in another. You may have the mod in the wrong location.

Warmskin
05-10-2011, 02:38 AM
The save games should be in your user folder.
For me (I'm on XP; will be different for Vista/7, but should still be in the User folder) it's under My Documents/My Games/King's Bounty Princess/$save.

FYI, Crossworlds includes all of the original Armored Princess, from what I recall. Unfortunately I don't think you can migrate your save over, so if you play Crossworlds, you'll basically replay Armored Princess all over again but with a few new goodies.

I suspect this is also the reason you're having trouble with the camera mod.
The mods have to be loaded in the data folder, but that's the catch. Remember, since AP and CW can't even share saves, they definitely can't share data files, so mods for AP go in one folder, and mods for CW go in another. You may have the mod in the wrong location.

Thanks, I did find the saves with the help of my son yesterday, but I do appreciate your quick reply, anyway. I still don't understand why the 360 BC and the mods won't work. I never bought the original Armored Princess. I bought KB-CW (GOTY edition). After installing the game, I chose AP to start off with because that's the most logical choice (and it's first on the list B4 the 3 'new campaigns'). I don't want to 'migrate my saves over' from the original AP, I don't own and have never played the original AP. I just bought KB-CW (GOTY edition) and started with the main AP campaign. Why is something that worked so well with the original KB not working with this? I started fresh right out of the box with AP. Why wouldn't these work? It just makes no sense to me. If anyone else with KB-CW (GOTY) is reading this and can get the mods or the 360BC to work, please post some help. And 'DarkScythe' thanks again for your reply and trying to help. Maybe I've explained things a little better with this post and you or someone else can shed some light. Thank You.

DarkScythe
05-10-2011, 04:14 PM
I think I see the problem, and it's probably what I guessed before.

FYI, I bought the "Platinum" edition off of Steam, which included all 3 KB "games," KB:TL, KB:AP and KB:CW. I say "games" in quotes because CW isn't actually a standalone game; it's an expansion for AP. From what I've read, the CW "Campaign" starts you off the exact same way as AP, and it essentially is the AP campaign/game but with the new CW stuff thrown in (like orc adrenaline, an extra quest, etc.) I haven't verified this myself, as I haven't tried loading vanilla AP yet.

In any case, CW should include all of AP's content, but because CW has new content, its data is read from a different folder. This is why the mod notes tell you to put the mod in two different "mods" folders depending on which game you're playing.

I briefly read through your other thread here, and I think this is the mistake you made. Chalk it up to poor choice of words, I suppose, but you placed the mod files in the "Crossworlds" mod folder because you INSTALLED Crossworlds. However, you are PLAYING AP and NOT Crossworlds, so AP is not reading the mods in the CW folder. The instructions should read if you are PLAYING AP or CW, to put the mods in their respective folders, not simply if you "have" them. Moving the mods over to your normal AP folder should work.

I don't know if you have already tried this yet, as I don't see any indication of this, but if you have and it still doesn't work, then there may be a deeper problem.

Warmskin
05-10-2011, 05:12 PM
OK, if I just bought an old used copy of the orig AP, then I wouldn't have any of these problems? But, would my saves from CW-AP work with the orig AP? Because this is becoming much more of a hassle than to just *play the game*. You know what I mean... Anyway, I guess I'll try what you said about moving the mods to the AP folder. You didn't mention anything about the 360BC. Am I out of luck here? The new one that's supposed to work with CW does not work. That's too simple not to. I don't understand why it won't work. I've msg'd the guy who wrote it, but that was quite a while ago and no answer. Anyway, Thanks.

DarkScythe
05-10-2011, 06:26 PM
Honestly, I don't really know about the 360 degree free battle camera, because I don't use it. I tend to try to slog through battles in 2~3 turns so I didn't have much need for it. However, I'm assuming you're referring to this program: http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?t=16803
The guy says for CW, you should add a line to your "game.ini" file (should be inside your /data folder.) Have you done this? I'm unclear whether this line needs to be added if you're playing CW, or if you've simply just installed CW.

As for buying the original AP and playing that - I'm not sure. I'll have to let someone else answer that, but I'm fairly certain that there will be no difference. CW isn't its own game, it's "Armored Princess plus Bonuses." For me, when I load my version of Crossworlds from Steam, I get to a "main menu" where I can select to play Armored Princess, Champion of the Arena, Defender of the Crown, and Orcs on the March.

Of these, "Armored Princess" will load the original game. "Champions of the Arena" and "Defender of the Crown" as far as I can tell are not actual campaigns, but miniature gauntlet-type quests. "Orcs on the March" is the Crossworlds content, and this should (as I've read) load the same exact campaign as "Armored Princess" except you get the nifty bonuses (along with an orc on the first island that gives you the extra quest, creatively titled "Red Scrounger and the March of the Orcs.")

Once again, I don't really know how that free battle cam works, so I can't help you much there besides maybe checking the game.ini file. I've only played CW (Orcs on the March) because people said if played AP first, I'd have to repeat everything for OotM.

However, I can say definitely that CW and AP load mods from different folders. I originally placed mods in the AP folder (when I was playing CW) and they wouldn't work. I moved them to the CW folder and now I'm running a bunch of mods, such as:
Contract Heroes Marker
Camera Mod *NOT the free camera thing you're referring to; this one only allows further zooming on world map
Interface Mod
Pet Hint Mod
As well as a couple mods I created to modify the treasure chests, fixing a few skills/items, and tweaking a few other things.

Warmskin
05-10-2011, 11:54 PM
OK, I tried the new line in the 'game.ini' file and it doesn't work. But, you said something that makes me want to start all over. I didn't realize that 'Orcs on the March' was the complete AP with extras thrown in, or I would have played that instead from the start. I wish I knew that 2 weeks ago. I just thought it was an 'expansion' (in the regular sense of the word) the picks up where AP left off. What I think I'm going to do is uninstall everything and then reinstall the whole game (I backed up all my saves from AP just in case). The reason for this is because I read so many msgs on what to do to get things to work and how I had to make new folders if they didn't exist and put the mods there, I really don't know what the h#ll I have anywhere anymore. It doesn't take long and I'd rather start fresh anyway with 'Orcs on the March'. Now, would I be correct in assuming that **maybe** some of the mods or the 360BC **might** work? How does this sound to you? Thanks a lot.

DarkScythe
05-11-2011, 12:07 AM
Backing up your AP saves is a good idea, but I don't think you can load them in OotM. It would be a new game starting from scratch. It will also progress slightly differently since for one, you have new goodies to play with, and secondly the games are randomly seeded each tme you begin a new game, so the shop that had X unit won't necessarily have it anymore. I'd imagine that was the same with KB:TL as well (haven't played that yet; I jumped straight to CW.)

A reinstall might at the very least give you a clean slate to start tinkering again, but I can't guarantee it would actually fix anything.

For the moment, if you're going to switch over to CW and since I still have it installed, I'll download the program I linked before (I assume it's the right one, since you haven't refuted it yet) and try it in one of my savegames. I'll get back to you on whether it works.

EDIT:

All right, I gave it a shot. Mixed results.
I'm not entirely sure what the optimal result of that free battle camera thing working are though, so maybe it's normal. I did not achieve full 360 degree rotation, but the camera restrictions were definitely relaxed substantially.
I could zoom forever, and the rotation increased to about 90 degrees in either direction.

In either case:
KBCW without program installed: Restrictive battle camera
KBCW with program ran after KBCW: "Unlocked" battle camera (but not 360 degrees)
KBCW with program run before KBCW: Same as above
KBCW with program run and change to game.ini: Same as above

It doesn't seem to matter where this program is placed, as it's external to the game and only hooks in via the .NET framework.

Hope that helps.

Warmskin
05-11-2011, 04:41 AM
Well, I won't know what works 'till I try it. I don't really care that much about starting completely from scratch as a few things will be different - Orcs on the March and I think I'll try a different character (Mage). As far as all the different mods, I'll try them out and let you know how they work. Thanks *very much* for all the help and if I get stuck with some of the mods I'll let you know.

DarkScythe
05-11-2011, 05:39 AM
No problem; I occasionally check this forum for various reasons. If I see it, I'll lend a hand if I'm able.

Do note that if you now start playing OotM, you need to place mods in the /orcs folder because that's where CW/OotM reads its data files from.

Good luck!

Warmskin
05-12-2011, 04:22 PM
I un- and re- installed Crossworlds. For some reason right at the end of the process it told me it 'might' not have installed correctly. I applied the patch though, and everything seems to be fine (fingers crossed). I'm playing OotM and so far so good with 3 mods installed that seem to be working. The extra 'view' (being able to zoom way out over the countryside is great and reminds me exactly of the mod I used with KBTL). The 360 BC still won't work and that is really puzzling. I even added that extra line in the game.ini file. Well, I guess I'll have to live w/o it. A shame though. It used to be cool to zoom way out (or in) over the battle and watch everything from any side. Well, thanks again for all your help (not to mention the time spent responding to all this). Take care.

Variol
08-16-2011, 09:02 PM
I just started playing the game for the first time last week. It is a lot of fun so far. This morning, I clicked on the editor, to see what is was all about. I think I clicked on"Champion" or one of the 3 options and the program crashed.

Now, the game takes longer to load and I noticed that all my saves have disappeared: help!

1darklord
08-17-2011, 03:09 PM
Your saves are only visible for the campaign you have selected.

Daniel.

infernal1800
08-18-2011, 05:50 AM
I just started playing the game for the first time last week. It is a lot of fun so far. This morning, I clicked on the editor, to see what is was all about. I think I clicked on"Champion" or one of the 3 options and the program crashed.

Now, the game takes longer to load and I noticed that all my saves have disappeared: help!

Your savegames arent related to the Editor, maybe you loaded a wrong campaign and couldnt see your save game. You should check your savegames in mydocument/kingbounty/

Maybe you download your editor on steam and it's not good (often cause crashes) I dont have any problem with the editor and can edit the game easily. You can download my version in here:

http://www.mediafire.com/?2jqn8i3g33tidph